I hope they don't ruin it like they did with Descent.

By nathrotep, in Runebound

This is still one of my favorite games, so I hope that the new version is an improvement over the original. Unlike what they did with Descent, which was to make a completely different game using just the name of the older game. That new version of Descent was the worst game that I ever played.

This is still one of my favorite games, so I hope that the new version is an improvement over the original. Unlike what they did with Descent, which was to make a completely different game using just the name of the older game. That new version of Descent was the worst game that I ever played.

The other games you have played must be great indeed, wise man!

Edited by smcnrues

What silly post.

After reading all the information that they've posted so far, I'm going to pass on this. While it does not look quite as bad as what was done to Descent, it still doesn't look like it will be as much fun to play as the original. I'd rather err on the side of caution this time around than waste money like I did with the new version of Descent.

Nobody cares.

I bought it and so far I'm regretting it, but I've got a 10 year old nephew who would love this.

There are some things the new edition does better and some things it does worse.

The decision to upgrade to the new edition is just like the decision to upgrade to descent 2nd edition, you'll either love it or hate it... a bit like marmite.

I bought it and so far I'm regretting it, but I've got a 10 year old nephew who would love this.

There are some things the new edition does better and some things it does worse.

The decision to upgrade to the new edition is just like the decision to upgrade to descent 2nd edition, you'll either love it or hate it... a bit like marmite.

So.. could you elaborate a bit on what let you down?

I plan on writing a lengthy comparison between the editions, backed up with numbers and facts, because anything else would just be troll bait. These should start appearing in a new thread from tomorrow.

I do see 3rd edition as being popular with younger players, 10-14, and being less popular with 2nd edition veterans.

To me 3rd edition was a lost opportunity with a mess of mechanics and a weakened theme.

Details will follow tomorrow.

I figured as much. Just from reading the info on this re-boot I could pretty much tell that it was going to be a mess like Descent 2nd edition. My gaming group all hated Descent 2nd edition and felt that it would also be more enjoyed by 10 year olds. We love the original editions of both these games, and have all the expansions for them. It's too bad that FFG is having trouble making the newer versions playable for the fans of the older versions.

"That new version of Descent was the worst game that I ever played. "

The new version of Descent is the best game I ever played.

Opinions are opinions. There's a lot of them on internet nowadays. The fact is, it will vary according the ones that are playing.

Me and my friends like Descent 2nd very much. We play almost every saturday. We did'nt play the first edition. However, the changes on mechanics are really welcome to us. We don't have 8+ hours to spend on a single quest.

What I do, every time, is read the rules before go buying any board game. If I like the mechanics, I buy it. From what I've read till now, I believe Runebound 3rd is a great game. We are waiting till my order arrive (and the hype is really high).

"What silly post."

Yep. Just planting the discord's seeds to cultivate flame wars... <_<

Opinions are opinions. There's a lot of them on internet nowadays. The fact is, it will vary according the ones that are playing.

This. It's nice reading critics to games, both positive and negative, but those critics need to have a fundament. "This game for me is a disaster" means nothing to me, because there are no reasons given for such a harsh comment. In the same way, "this game for me is fantastic" means again nothing.

So for Descent, same for RB. 2nd and 3rd edition are clearly very different; each of them will please some and make others unhappy. For this reason it's important to say clearly what's good and what's bad in the game ;)

I have a side by side comparison of Descent that I wrote after playing both versions back to back using missions that were very similar. I have broken down all the set up steps, character selection, and the beginning stats as compared to the ending stats of each character, followed by the differences in both versions. However, if you have never played the first edition, it will probably not mean anything to you. The first edition was so vastly superior, (opinion; I realize that, but you would know if you had played it), that it's hard to explain to people that have never experienced it. And, just to clarify, my gaming group love's the longer gaming sessions. 8+ hours is perfect for us when we have all day get-togethers. I completely understand that many fans of the second edition love the shorter play time and much simpler mechanics, and I get that. But my gaming group also had trouble with the silly quests, limited options, and claustrophobically small dungeons. Once again, that may be all opinion based, but the first edition had huge dungeons with swarms of creatures attacking you the whole time, and you could actually die. It was more of a true dungeon crawl. In any event, to each his own. I will stick with the first versions of these two games, and also the many other fine products that my group loves, such as, Arkham Horror, for example. Fantasy Flight Games makes a ton of great games; it just bums me out when they so completely change a game during a re-issue that it no longer even resembles the concept of the original game. If anyone is interested in that comparison, I'd be willing to post it here.

I still have my 1st ed descent. So many good memories playing long nights with some friends. I was excited for 2nd ed. But when I played it with a new group we all felt the same way, frustrated. I loved 1st ed so much that I kept tying to play 2nd ed again and again thinking maybe it would be better after things got fixed in future faqs and expos etc etc. Unfortunately my group after going through the campaign one time never wanted to touch it again. Everyone in my group including me the OL player complained that the OL was too strong and that some missions were just complete landslides one way or the other. In the end the heroes actually won the campaign but it didn't make the large sections of them loosing over and over redeemed in their view.

1st ed I had problems where the heroes would get too strong late game and one shot the boss or abuse some powers etc. But overall I think it did a better job on the balance front. Having more time allows for more mistakes and is more forgiving. Also the best thing about 1st ed was how you couldn't see the whole map in the beginning and had to open a door to explore the map. That was a mechanic that reminded me of playing Heroquest as a kid and it was very much missed in 2nd ed.

A few things I really hated about 2nd ed was chain immobilize, intentional blocking of movement, the line of sight changes, the miss face on the attacker die, the after effects of the strong focus on keeping the play time down that caused any mistake you made to have a far larger impact on your outcome as well as increase land slides in map designs.

Another big complaint from my group was when they lost a map they felt like since the OL got to choose the next map that it was a situation where the player that just won and didn't need more power just gets even more advantage instead of it being like the robber in catan where you can as a loosing player try and hit the guy who is winning to slow him down and catch up.

And then came imperial assault. Much of what i disliked from 2d ed got fixed. I really liked it better but there were still issues with balance. The end game for my first campaign ended with vader the supposed best villain in the game just getting completely owned and slapped around with the insane op wookie and the abuse of the hero with command where he could give the wookie even more actions. And on top of that it was a 3 player hero game so they had more heath and they got to double activate a hero so they always choose the wookie or the commander hero so the wookie would always get more actions. It was just sad. So they fixed some things but still clearly can't seem to playtest enough to catch some of these ridicules combos that just break the balance. I will never play with less than 4 players and insist that they cant use both the wookie and the commander in the same party.

So here we are with Runebound 3rd and after 4 play's only achieving a victory 1/4 with the OP IMBA Lyssa and her skill, I can see the same issue with the focus on keeping the game time down by having that round timer mechanic. I liked it at first but now I don't because the whole game you realize you are in a rush. You feel even worse if you make a mistake or take on a fight and you get killed and it eats up your next turn recovering. It goes against my personal play style. You wind up having to fight the boss before you are ready and with more players you will also have the rush to fight him before the other players. Every game I always felt, man I want to do more exploring and shopping but oh darn the timer is on the last spot and now I have to drop everything and go fight that boss or I'll loose. It would be better if he wasn't rolling 5 dice to see how far he moves towards the city as its possible to just get unlucky and he can reach it in two turns. Lastly I was really upset that they did the normal routine of giving you tokens for the Boss figures instead of figures. I wound up using some figures from descent 2nd ed. Another thing is gone is the 2nd ed plastic holder tray and instead its the cardboard insert.

After I play with the other quest and some non solo games im sure I'll have a better picture on how this plays out. There are alot of things I really like about the game and I hope to see what direction they take for expos.

After I play with the other quest and some non solo games im sure I'll have a better picture on how this plays out. There are alot of things I really like about the game and I hope to see what direction they take for expos.

RB third differs from the other games you mentioned because there's no "OL" part in the game: basically all heroes play against the system in a sort of semi-coop (remember you have the option for bartendering, so you may actually combine the efforts of heroes together, if you decide to do so) / multiplayer solitaire (there's no direct hero vs hero stuff apart in a couple of situations) so that in the end it's very easily adjustable according to the needs of your group. If you want to explore more, then you may houserule to have an extra free "half act" or so before triggering endgame (Vorakesh) or Margath moving on Tamalir. In the same way, if you're in for a harsher game, you may shorten the time track by a few turns.

I understand you may not want to houserule the game; I'm just sayin' that fixing this is a lot easier than fixing the points you raised about Descent 2nd

I don't think you can start to compare RB3 and D2 until this game gets some more content.D2 is a massively popular game.arguably the best dungeon crawler out there at the moment.[although that may change when sword and sorcery hits the gaming world later this year].and its popularity hasn't gone away.ffg are still releasing top quality expansions etc for the game..thats where this game needs to get a move on...needs expansions/packs pretty soon.

Or, you didn't get a chance to grab second edition, and so you don't care what the previous edition is like!