New Map - Old Location

By caeaston, in Talisman Home Brews

So I was asked on Friday if I had ever finished that Naval expansion for Talisman? Yes and no. By the time I had finished the second draft of the maps, "The Deep Realms" was released and all of a sudden my path to the third layer of the Talisman board was gone (at least from one side). I'll add the pictures of what I had done so everyone can see.

Since then I've been toying with the idea of 3D boards, but that just makes the broad more complex. Not everyone is going to have access to 3D printers, laser cutters and CNC machines. Although this might make an excellent Kickstarter (assuming I don't get sued or worse).

Plan B: Develop an easy system to randomize the four corners, OR even switch out corners mid game. The way i had though of accomplishing this is by assuming the corners are not really connect to the main board; think of them as portals to "other realms". At the start of the game the portals to "known" realms are established (City, Dungeon, Wildlands and Highlands) but a creative card set could allow for the opening of a new protal to a new realm (new board); but at the expense of one of the established portals.

Its a work in progress and easy board design has been at the centre of the issue. I've been using a combination of Visio and Gimp and have some handy temples, now its just artwork.

Anyway, thoughts?

BTW. Both images have been shared here if they don't show up;

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F898A8DF1BFB1D7E%21105

Love the Images! If you need a place to PUt the ocean. my sugegstion would be to use the ferry port n the city as you "Dock" and then go into the ocean from there!

I'd be interested in seeing more.

Btw - 'lose' & 'Naval' :)

This looks like a very interesting expansion. The two mini boards you have made look great! It would be a great way to then incorporate two more ocean boards separated from the main boards. I think you should run with this as the way to continue making this expansion. For people who don't have the deep realms it isn't an issue and I for one would not play with the deep realms sometimes to use this!

As for artwork. The only thing I can think would be to use Magic: The Gathering card artwork. There is a website where you can search all card artwork

http://magiccards.info/

:)

Oh, and if you were interested and willing, I could look at adding the templates to Strange Eons.

This is what I get for not paying attention. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so that's the primary reason I haven't gone all out yet, but...

I had already developed two ideas but have stepped away from both for the time being but will be revisiting them shortly (in some form or another).

The first was a board that wraps around the whole of the outside of the other four corners that was 3" thick. Made the board just a little too big for my dining room table and too be honest looked boring. So call it trial 1.

Trail two was perhaps too ambitious. It was an effort to fit every board as well as custom boards and the two ocean areas into one mega board. Link below . You would get to custom boards by going across the oceans (follow the twin black arrows). Who knows if everyone doesn't mind playing on the living room floor and you want eight players going all at the same time then maybe this would work. Little tooooooo big.

https://onedrive.liv...8DF1BFB1D7E!105

In terms of what's next I think I'll wait until Jon has completed his update to Strange Eons. He's put a TON of work into it and I want to respect that. Would I be up to including a template to the Ocean cards into Strange Eons; I have to say I'm overwhelmed. I've only ever had one fan item published and its a bit of a read for a very old RPG that I still love to death; ROLEMASTER. Guild companion

In short I would be honoured.

Edited by caeaston

This looks like a very interesting expansion. The two mini boards you have made look great! It would be a great way to then incorporate two more ocean boards separated from the main boards. I think you should run with this as the way to continue making this expansion. For people who don't have the deep realms it isn't an issue and I for one would not play with the deep realms sometimes to use this!

As for artwork. The only thing I can think would be to use Magic: The Gathering card artwork. There is a website where you can search all card artwork

http://magiccards.info/

:)

One addition I neglected to mention. Your suggestion has not fallen on a deaf keyboard. Just as a spoiler here is my thoughts once the new Strange Eons hits the streets. I'm going to make a series of adventure cards that call on other "Small Boards" to be activated once drawn. For example, draw an Adventure card that calls on the Coral Sea to be activated, and place the Coral Sea mini board on the map in one of the two spaces between City - Dungeon or Wildlands - Highlands. Once both spaces are filled additional cards are ignored. These mini boards don't have new monster or encounter cards of their own (frankly we have to draw the line somewhere) but have baked in encounters built onto the boards (as the boards are somewhat of a random draw in themselves). These mini boards will be difficult to navigate and have a single somewhat powerful artefact at the end (relevant to that mini map). Once the artefact is claimed, the board is completed and removed from play (making room for another if drawn).

Some thoughts on smaller boards might be;

1) The Elemental Chaos - The realms of the elemental chaos! Artefact: The Crown of Elemental Chaos - Ignore one spell cast on you per turn.

2) The Abyss - The realms of the Underworld! Artefact: The Crown of Infernal Command - You may avoid battles with and demons or devils once per turn.

3) The Maze - The infinite maze of disrepair! Artefact: The Great Ball of Twine - Instead of rolling 1 die for movement and moving that amount , you may stop at any point in your move.

4) Celestial Heavens - Home to justice and the eternal light (What? The evil characters need someone to crush)! Artefact: Ring of rebirth - If you are killed you are reborn in your starting space at full health next turn. This can be used once per game.

5) Coral Sea

6) Dark Sea

ect...

ect...

ect...

Who knows maybe once I get my laser cutter and 3D printer I can really jazz these up ;) .

Edited by caeaston

A great idea

An expansion which instead of having a wealth of new cards, in stead a range of mini boards which activate at different times throughout the game. A great new mechanic which can lead to some powerful artefacts being thrown into battle. I would love to see the Artefact deck once this is made. There would have to be an artefact that works around Toading characters! Being all powerful and turning characters into Toads at will would be amazing! Mwhahahahaha think of the power!!! :D

Perhaps you could have a new deck for use in the mini boards, but just use the one deck for all of the mini boards. Have it like the Bridge deck where at the end of every turn all cards are shuffled back into the deck. Making for it being rare to pull some good cards and also making it possible for some horrible nasty's coming back to haunt you time and time again :D

I have to say this a corker of a idea. More, more, more :) .