Hoping the Runebound 3rd edition keeps from leveling generic heroes in the past editions.

By krechevskoy, in Runebound

I am really hoping the Runebound 3rd edition fixes the averageness for characters and prevents using allies as meat shields. Runebound 2nd edition seemed anticlimactic to use acoyltes like meat shields similar to Star Trek Red Shirts. I want to make my warriors bladestorms of death, and my mages giant fountains of arcane without having to level "ranged" to just not die. At the end of the game, the only difference between heroes was their gear and starting ability. Ragnar and Red Scorpion the average.

If the combat system really does away with the 3 types of attacks/defense I think it will be a good thing for the series. I also hope RB3 is "streamlined" Like Descent was and makes the gameplay faster.

No sure I agree with you on everything but to each his own. I would love an epci scale adventure game between the lenght of The Witcher and Mage Knight...so the good 'ol 1 to 1.5 hour per players.

I remember my multiple sessions with RB2 and when I played a Mage I leveled it like a Mage and did well in the game. Sure a bit of everything helps a lot but nothing was as gamebreaking in my memory.

So yeah, to each his own but I hope it'll be an epic adventure game where you can sit with some friends, down some nice beers and look at your watch when the game ends and say "Wow, four and a half hours! That didn't looked like that, awesome!" :P

I am really hoping the Runebound 3rd edition fixes the averageness for characters and prevents using allies as meat shields. Runebound 2nd edition seemed anticlimactic to use acoyltes like meat shields similar to Star Trek Red Shirts. I want to make my warriors bladestorms of death, and my mages giant fountains of arcane without having to level "ranged" to just not die. At the end of the game, the only difference between heroes was their gear and starting ability. Ragnar and Red Scorpion the average.

If you'd use allies as meat shields, you wouldn't have to increase ranged and/or melee with your mage. That's your choice, not wanting to take advantage of an element the game offers you. Getting attached to allies (or characters like in Arkham Horror) just gets in the way of winning :P .

Around here, a melee fighter and a mage don't end with anything close to similar stats, both will have 3-5 boosts to their main attribute at least. Since people often finish at around lvl 7-9 (as in that many upgrades total), that's not a lot of upgrades to put into other attributes. You need to be able to do one thing well, where you do most damage and make the most of it. Having a 5/1, 5/1, 5/2 magic character after levelling up four times just doesn't cut it in my book, I'd rather 2/1, 2/1, 9/2 and meat shield (or armor) for ranged and melee.

And I hope it will be good becouse with 2e I has very mixed fealing especialy the game was to long and to boring.

Maybe 3e will change this, we will see.