Forever At Printer?

By OpT1mUs, in General Discussion

A discussion I had with my local shop owner about the release date led me to start blogging on it, but from what I have gathered, the shop owners are pretty much in the dark about when it will be released, but most are certain it will be in the next 2-3 weeks. I was told that last time FFG put a date on a major release, they dropped the ball so now most shop owners don't know its release date until it has already been delivered. It is driving me crazy with anticipation.

Rumors from Gencon say the game will be out sometime this month.

Let's hope so, I preordered a month ago

The product page says still at printer but it hasn't been updated since May.

Troll'd by FFG:

Check it today "At the Printer". Check it tomorrow "Shipping Now"

That happened with one of the Star Wars LCG force packs.

Am I the only one that checks the site twice a day for a release date?

yeeesssss, print! Print hard and print well, my printer child!!!

Am I the only one that checks the site twice a day for a release date?

Your not the only one, at least twice a day.

so Amazon has an aug 31 release date. ..

Look again - that's not Amazon, it's a marketplace listing by seller TLG Games. Sorry to say, it's nothing more than that seller's best guess.

-_-

They better print enough product to satisfy everybody then, as preordering becomes a huge nuisance if the release date is unknown (as is the case here). Stores' suppliers might get the product later, or not at all, or not enough, etc.

As long as it arrives as expected (around september), I'm content. If it's later, I don't care, but I won't be able to give demos at the important conventions here. Their loss.

Meh. Definitely felt some "upcoming" page fatigue over the past year. After Armada, I decided against pre-ordering any more FFG games and I've kind of taken that mindset into avoiding pre-orders entirely. I think I just feel anxious when I've already spent money on something with a total question mark for an arrival date. If I am able to pick up a copy before October I would be pleasantly surprised, and based on the reaction from my local game shop when I asked recently, I think they would be as well.

Come to think of it... hasn't X-wing wave seven gone from announced to shipping in the same time that Game of Thrones has been at the printer? :blink:

Meh. Definitely felt some "upcoming" page fatigue over the past year. After Armada, I decided against pre-ordering any more FFG games and I've kind of taken that mindset into avoiding pre-orders entirely. I think I just feel anxious when I've already spent money on something with a total question mark for an arrival date. If I am able to pick up a copy before October I would be pleasantly surprised, and based on the reaction from my local game shop when I asked recently, I think they would be as well.

Swedish retailers don't charge for pre-orders but register you for the purchase and attach a bill to the order whenever it is completed that needs to be paid when accepting the parcel - Seems a better trade-off for everyone involved as they get a better stock count rather than suffering a rush after release. And, to everyone's surprise (incl. my own) it appears it's not that much more expensive than the U.S. with three copies coming down on $140 incl. shipping.

I work in Project Management, so this is what I see happening.

Somewhere, behind the scenes, somebody has a schedule with % Complete of every step. (there's probably more, but for purposes of discussion, we can go with this.)

At The Printer doesn't mean that printing is less than 100% complete. It could be 50%, or 75%, or it could be sitting at 100% and marked complete on their schedule. It doesn't move out of ATP status until they are ready to mark it as On The Boat. Then once shipment is complete, it can be off the ship and warehoused, it still says On The Boat until they're ready to mark it as Shipping Now.

So, don't read too much into which products move through the process at various speeds. They have to have target release dates, they just don't disclose them, because general annoyance over uncertainty is a lot easier to deal with than the incandescent nerd-rage that comes when promised release dates get missed. If they want X-Wing Wave 7 to be released sooner than AGOT, then it will move through the process more quickly.

incandescent nerd-rage

This is beyond wonderful.

What you said makes perfect sense also especially considering most of the times the release "dates" are quoted as "quarters" and not actual dates. While AGoT saw amazing premier at GenCon it does make sense that FFG would push to get the Star Wars Minis out because it sells, and it always sells well.

Status changed to "On the boat"

Status changed to "On the boat"

I shouldn't be this hyped about cardboard but WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!! :-D

1723esd.jpg

3 to 4 more weeks?

4-6 is what they normally say on their site

" The product is traveling from the printer to our warehouse. The duration of this process varies depending on where the printer is located, be it in the US, China, or Germany, but generally takes four to six weeks."

Edited by -Istaril

So it's probably safe to assume it will be in stores late September?

Probably safest to assume nothing. Back to Octgn deck builder for now...