Leadership

By Bashwilly, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Big Remy said:

I know I should be able to figure this out but...can you do the following with Leadership?

Move

Guard

Dodge.

The dodge order would overide the guard order, so you would have effectively moved then dodged.

I would allow you to do this, but you wouldnt be getting that Guard order im afraid...

..unless the Dodge was put on another character...

If you decide to let him put a Dodge on top of the Guard and override it then the above should also be acceptable - looks like nobody knows if it's strictly legal but hey :-)

We're starting our next RtL campaign in a couple of weeks and after reading this I still don't know if a Guard & a Dodge are different half-orders or the same as they're both Ready actions.

Noodle2977 said:

..unless the Dodge was put on another character...

If you decide to let him put a Dodge on top of the Guard and override it then the above should also be acceptable - looks like nobody knows if it's strictly legal but hey :-)

We're starting our next RtL campaign in a couple of weeks and after reading this I still don't know if a Guard & a Dodge are different half-orders or the same as they're both Ready actions.

The half-action is to place an order. Period.

Ready = Order + 1/2 action

Leadership = Ready + 1/2 action = Order + 1/2 action + 1/2 action

1/2 action cannot be the same

I hope that clarifies this enough for everyone

Oboewan said:

All I can say is that not putting the ruling in the FAQ must have been one of many oversights of FFG when putting it together. The quote above about not selecting the same 1/2 action more than once is a direct email response from designer Kevin Wilson to one of the members of the "old" forums. If an email from the designer of the game doesn't pull enough weight for you...... *shrug*

It's not about pulling weight, but about making things clear. You should not have to browse a forum to get such information, as it is definitely not something that can be inferred from the rulebook or the wording of the card.

Galdred said:

Oboewan said:

All I can say is that not putting the ruling in the FAQ must have been one of many oversights of FFG when putting it together. The quote above about not selecting the same 1/2 action more than once is a direct email response from designer Kevin Wilson to one of the members of the "old" forums. If an email from the designer of the game doesn't pull enough weight for you...... *shrug*

It's not about pulling weight, but about making things clear. You should not have to browse a forum to get such information, as it is definitely not something that can be inferred from the rulebook or the wording of the card.

I just hope my previous post helped make it clear enough. You are absolute right that we shouldn't to browse a forum etc... however that seems to be the reality with Descent. I wish they'd done a better job with the rules.

forum ate my post. Goody.

from the Altar of Despair Rules, page 5:

"The Ready Action (Revised)
The Ready action has been slightly redefined for clarity
and to better interact with prolonged actions, which are
explained below. Now, when a hero readies, he receives
two different half actions, one of which must be an
order half action. The two actions can be taken in any
order.
The different half actions are:
...."(emphasis mine)

So basically, the ready action is defined as granting different half actions, and the leadership card does not explicitly allow for multiples of the same half action. Therefore, I think it's safe to assume that leadership grants 3 different half actions.

Does that help, Oboewan?

PS: Don't forget that the Leadership card allows you to pass to another hero any order token you would normally place on yourself, without spending fatigue. This will synergize with the Unmovable skill.

EDIT: Dude wtf I can't change text color or size. Dear forum coder: Si vas a dejar que el usuario use RTF para escribir sus respuestas, tienes que dejar que usen todas las opciones, para que no terminen TOTALMENTE FRUSTRADOS, weon conchatumadre.

Thundercles said:

"The Ready Action (Revised)
The Ready action has been slightly redefined for clarity
and to better interact with prolonged actions, which are
explained below. Now, when a hero readies, he receives
two different half actions, one of which must be an
order half action. The two actions can be taken in any
order.
The different half actions are:
...."(emphasis mine)

Interesting...I somehow overlooked that at least twice when reading that passage. I guess I'll grant that KW isn't simply pulling that out of his ass, then.

Still, that's not the only reading of that passage, because technically any two actions you take are different actions--when you battle, for example, you get to make two separate and distinct attacks, not make the same attack twice (even if you attack the same target from the same position with the same weapon, it's still "a different attack"). It would be vastly more clear if it said that the half-actions must be of different types , rather than merely "different."

And of course, the most clear option would be to (also) put that rule on the actual Leadership card, because that removes any possibility that the card is trying to override the general rule to grant you more flexibility--and besides, that rule is virtually meaningless except when specifically interacting with that skill.

So I'm downgrading my classification of this rules issue from "embarassing" to "understandable," but not to "correct as written."

Thanks Thundercles - after all this time the clarity is staring us in the face! I think it's quite ironic that no one brought this up on the old forums when we discussed this very topic!

Yes- the editing features on this forum leave EVERYTHING to be desired. Understand my frustration with getting the Gathered List of Questions posted now? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Thundercles said:

PS: Don't forget that the Leadership card allows you to pass to another hero any order token you would normally place on yourself, without spending fatigue. This will synergize with the Unmovable skill.

Are you certain of this? Just curious, since we've always played that you had to use the leadership skill in order to get that ekstra bonus. But I guess it is debatable. :)

edderkoppen said:

Thundercles said:

Are you certain of this? Just curious, since we've always played that you had to use the leadership skill in order to get that ekstra bonus. But I guess it is debatable. :)

Yes. The fatigue cost on the Leadership card refers to taking the extra half-action if I recall. The ability to pass the order along is an inherent ability of having the Leadership skill.