Drawing Cards (esp. Harbinger expansion)

By Artaterxes, in Talisman Rules Questions

Question #1: When I draw multiple cards, do I wait until I draw the entire selection to move the Harbinger or does he move immediately? Example: I encounter the Ruins (draw 2 cards). My first card is an Event. Do I draw a second Adventure Card and then move the Harbinger? Or does the Harbinger move to my space before I draw my second card?

Possible Answer: If I move the Harbinger immediately, then this means the Prophetess may replace the Event, but the Harbinger still moved. Example: The Prophetess encounters the Ruins, draws an Event, moves the Harbinger, and draws a Harbinger Card. She replaces the Event (an Adventure Card), but she cannot undo the Harbinger movement, so the replacement card will be a Harbinger Card. Logically, the Time Card will also still flip, and the Doomsayer will gain a Spell from that replaced Event.

Possible Answer: Alternatively, if I wait until the entire selection is drawn, then the Prophetess may replace the Event and prevent Harbinger movement. Example: The Prophetess encounters the Ruins, draws an Event and an Enemy. She replaces the Event and draws a Place from the Adventure deck. The Harbinger does not move, the Doomsayer does not gain a Spell, and the Time Card does not flip.

I'm personally in favor of the second option, because it allows for more strategy. The Prophetess can, for example, debate whether to keep the Event she drew so she may turn the Night into Day, but at the cost of summoning Harbinger. Alternatively, she could replace the Event to prevent the Harbinger from moving, yet the Night remains. This type of strategy wouldn't be possible if all effects were triggered immediately.

-------

Question #2: If an effect other than a board space or dragon scale causes me to draw cards, do I trigger "when drawn" or "when revealed" effects?

Example: I encounter the Treasure Chest and draw 5 Adventure Cards, take one Object, and discard the rest. Do the discarded Events summon the Harbinger or flip the Time Card? Do the discarded Enemies allow the Doomsayer to replenish fate? Does the Object I take queue a Cadorus Card from the Domain of Dragons Ending?

Example: I encounter the Temple Raid, draw 5 Dragon Cards, discard all Events, and place the rest on the Temple. Do the discarded Events summon the Harbinger? Do the Enemies placed on the Temple allow the Doomsayer to replenish fate?

Possible Answer: The Doomsayer's ability reads, "Whenever you draw an Adventure Card that is not an Enemy or Event, you may draw 1 additional card." As a starting point, let's assume (just because it seems obvious) that the Doomsayer cannot use this ability to draw an extra card when he encounters the Treasure Chest or defeats the Crypt Keeper. If so, then logically, the Doomsayer's other abilities ( e.g. gain a Spell when an Event is drawn) would not apply either. And if the Doomsayer's "when drawn" effects don't apply to those things, then any "when drawn" effects wouldn't apply to those things either, including Harbinger movement and Time Card flipping. "When drawn" would only apply when encountering board spaces or dragon scales. (So, for example, the cards drawn due to Temple Raid would not trigger anything.)

-----

Please let me know, fellow Talisman fans, if you agree with any of the above, and offer your viewpoints. Thanks!

1) I would regard drawing cards, whether 1 or multiple, as a single action. Talisman isn't a game that is big on interrupting actions in the middle of them except when clearly stated (ie, Counterspell, Reflection, etc.). For example:

1. Prophetess moves to the Hidden Valley space, and encounters the space.
  2. She draws 3 Adventure Cards (an Event, a Stranger, and a 2nd Event).
  3. Triggered effects are resolved for drawn cards. The Harbinger is moved to the Hidden Valley space, the Time Card is flipped once (per the Passage of Time Rules), and the Doomsayer gains 2 Spells due to 2 Events being drawn (if their Craft allows). As these are simultaneous effects, the Prophetess player chooses the order in which these effects are resolved.
  4. The Prophetess may now use their Special Ability to discard an Adventure card of their choice and draw another card to replace it, which must be encountered. She discards the first Event and draws another Event to replace it.
  5. Triggered effects for the newly drawn Event are processed. The Harbinger is already there, so doesn't move. The Time Card is not flipped, since its rules state it is only flipped "whenever a character draws one or more Events during his turn", and it has already been flipped this turn. The Doomsayer gains 1 Spell if their Craft allows, as their Ability is triggered by a drawn Event, not an encountered Event.
  6. The Adventure Cards are placed faceup on the space per the Rules pg. 7. The Prophetess then encounters the originally 2nd drawn Event, then the replacement (3rd) drawn Event, then the Stranger, in that order.

2) Yes, the when drawn/revealed effects are triggered. And the Doomsayer is weird.

Example 1 - The Doomsayer from the above example takes the next turn in the round and completes a Warlock's Quest. They immediately teleport to the Warlock's Cave and choose to gain a Quest Reward. They get "A Favour Owed" and begin to resolve it's text.

1. They begin to draw Adventure Cards until a Follower is revealed per the Quest Reward instructions. This causes them to draw 3 Events, 6 Enemies, 4 Objects, 2 Strangers and 1 Place before a Follower is drawn. Note that Adventure Cards are drawn, not Harbinger Cards even though the Harbinger is in the same Region (Hidden Valley space) due to Harbinger Cards not being counted as Adventure Cards until placed faceup on the space.
  2. The triggered effects from drawn cards are then processed in any order the current player wishes. The Harbinger is moved to the Warlock's Cave since Events were drawn. The Time Card is flipped, but only if A) it has not already been flipped earlier in the same turn and B) no Adventure Cards have yet been encountered, as this is a special condition that applies to the Passage of Time that the Harbinger does not have. The Doomsayer would gain up to 3 Spells, depending on the number of max Spells they are able to hold at that time. They would replenish up to 6 Fate, depending on what their current Fate Value is and amount of Fate currently held.
  3. All non-Follower cards are then discarded, and the Follower is taken by the player unless they A) Cannot do so or B) Choose not to take it.

Example 2 - Let us assume that everything from Example 1 happens except when resolving the Quest Reward, the Doomsayer draws a Follower with the first card drawn. Since his Special Ability simply states "Whenever you draw an Adventure Card that is not an Enemy or Event, you may draw one additional card. You may only do this once per turn." Since there are no other conditions present restricting this Ability, they could draw an additional card when resolving the Quest Reward, or the Treasure Chest, Crypt Keeper, etc. The Prophetess/Orb of Prophecy, etc cannot do this, since they have the condition that cards are to be encountered, and the replacement must be encountered. Since these special draws are not encountered, these Abilities simply do not apply.

Also, the first 2 Abilities of the Doomsayer are not restricted to Adventure Cards, so they would trigger when Events and Enemies are drawn from the Dragon/Harbinger/Nether Decks (and technically Shop/Spell Cards as well, but they do not contain Events or Enemies, so the point is academic). The 3rd ability is restricted to Adventure Cards specifically, so the normal Dragon/Harbinger/Nether Deck rules restrictions apply. Like I said, the Doomsayer is weird.

For things like Temple Raid, the Temple Raid itself being drawn triggers anything that does not hinge on it being an Adventure Card Event, so the Harbinger would move to the current player who drew the Event, the Time Card is flipped, the Doomsayer would gain a Spell, etc. If it was the Doomsayer that drew the Temple Raid, they could not use their Ability to draw another card. When resolving the Temple Raid, all Events and Enemies drawn would trigger the Doomsayer's first 2 Abilities, the Harbinger would not move since they are already on the current players space, and the Time Card would not flip further since A) It has already been flipped this turn (Temple Raid itself) and B) a card has already been encountered this turn, which prevents the Time Card from being flipped.

tl;dr I guess I don't agree with you :)

We play with drawn and revealed being separate effect because of the different work describing the action. Thus things that are drawn can only trigger effects that key to the drawn effect and vice verses for revealed.. Also there is "look" as another keyword effect.

OK, thanks for the reply, Sanity. I guess I still find it a little jarring that the Doomsayer could use his ability to draw an extra card from the Treasure Chest or gain a Spell from drawn cards, etc. But I appreciate your detailed response.

Hopefully the FAQ authors will read this thread and integrate it somehow...

Edited by Artaterxes

OK, thanks for the reply, Sanity. I guess I still find it a little jarring that the Doomsayer could use his ability to draw an extra card from the Treasure Chest or gain a Spell from drawn cards, etc. But I appreciate your detailed response.

Hopefully the FAQ authors will read this thread and integrate it somehow...

Thats the POWER OF THE DOOMSAYER.. Even sicker now with dark fate :) , Start off with 3 dark fate and stuff everyone's day up hehehe. bloody good character.