Solo play?

By Borsook, in Runebound

Runebound 2nd edition is one of my favourite games to play solo, but the new one says 2-4 instead of 1-6 and some elements like the new combat makes wonder if it will work in solo mode?

We'll have to wait and see. Usually if a game can be played solo, even as a variant, the box would say 1 player minimum ( e.g. DungeonQuest). If the new one says 2-4, then solo play could be a variant as well, it just seems less likely. Not impossible, though.

I've been waiting the last couple of years for a reprint or new Edition because everyone kept recommended it as a great solo play game.

Now that it's finally released, they've left solo play out of it?!

2-4 players, competitive game. Doesn't sound like there will be any official solo rules.

Despite how much I wanted a 3rd edition released, it's not a game I'll be able to play, so no point in my buying it.

Really disappointed here.

I've been waiting the last couple of years for a reprint or new Edition because everyone kept recommended it as a great solo play game.

Now that it's finally released, they've left solo play out of it?!

2-4 players, competitive game. Doesn't sound like there will be any official solo rules.

Despite how much I wanted a 3rd edition released, it's not a game I'll be able to play, so no point in my buying it.

Really disappointed here.

I still have some hopes, the 2nd edition introduced expansions adding competitive card decks, but still not using them it worked great solo... Maybe 3rd will play solo in a similar way so with exclusion of some rules. If not, this edition should allow you to buy the 2nd on the cheap, a lot of people will be selling theirs.

To be fair, solo play was not officially supported in the Second Edition either apart from the base game. You have infinite respawns and infinite turns, so your only "pressure" was competing players... or a timer.

The base game built in a timer called the Doom Track, so 1-6 players could use it. But most people didn't like the way it worked. That was the only official way to play solo, I believe. Then, expansions didn't support the Doom Track, plus to top it off, they released six small expansions to encourage competitive play (character packs). Competition was the goal.

The bottom line is the only official way to play Runebound Second Edition solo was in a not-very-well-implemented variant that was compatible only with the base game.

Most solo players used house rules, the most popular being Mr. Skeletor's Threat Track. Which was awesome. And as good as that was, if you're recommending a game based on a fan-made variant, well... Something's not right. It's like recommending someone to read Lord of the Rings because they read a wonderful piece of fan fiction.

It's a sign that the original game wasn't really meant for solo play, and it's not surprising that they're aiming to focus on the multiplayer in the Third Edition. However, it would have been nice if they recognized that Second Edition was popular because of solo play (whether fan made or not) and tried to incorporate it here, but I don't think you should be too upset at 3rd Edition because 2nd Edition was supposedly solo friendly (officially it wasn't).

My copy of Runebound 2nd Edition shows that it is for 2-6 players. It doesn't sound like there is an overlord type player in control of the monsters, so I don't see why this game couldn't be played solo.

To be fair, solo play was not officially supported in the Second Edition either apart from the base game. You have infinite respawns and infinite turns, so your only "pressure" was competing players... or a timer.

The base game built in a timer called the Doom Track, so 1-6 players could use it. But most people didn't like the way it worked. That was the only official way to play solo, I believe. Then, expansions didn't support the Doom Track, plus to top it off, they released six small expansions to encourage competitive play (character packs). Competition was the goal.

The bottom line is the only official way to play Runebound Second Edition solo was in a not-very-well-implemented variant that was compatible only with the base game.

Most solo players used house rules, the most popular being Mr. Skeletor's Threat Track. Which was awesome. And as good as that was, if you're recommending a game based on a fan-made variant, well... Something's not right. It's like recommending someone to read Lord of the Rings because they read a wonderful piece of fan fiction.

It's a sign that the original game wasn't really meant for solo play, and it's not surprising that they're aiming to focus on the multiplayer in the Third Edition. However, it would have been nice if they recognized that Second Edition was popular because of solo play (whether fan made or not) and tried to incorporate it here, but I don't think you should be too upset at 3rd Edition because 2nd Edition was supposedly solo friendly (officially it wasn't).

Actually, I've never seen any problems with the default doom track, it worked really well. And it did work with the expansions too, even if their rulebooks did not discuss it.

Anyway, looking at Gencon's presentations of the new edition, there is still the scenario where your task it is to kill the dragon, so it should play well solo. The question is other scenarios, but that's ok.

I hadn't realized 2nd Ed. was listed as only 2-6 players officially. I just kept hearing how people were saying it makes a great solo game.

I'm sure it won't too long before some fan-made solitaire variants will come out.

Edited by rfox01

I hadn't realized 2nd Ed. was listed as only 2-6 players officially. I just kept hearing how people were saying it makes a great solo game.

I'm sure it won't too long before some fan-made solitaire variants will come out.

No, it is officialy 1-6 players, at least my print says so and both wikipeadia and bgg agree.

I solo played the 2nd edition plenty of time and it played really well. It's a competitive game but the interaction is pretty minimal and multiple heroes are not necessary to enjoy the leveling and beating the bad guy.

I think it's fair to say that most games are designed to play "competitive". Also it's fair to say that most games CAN be played solo.

Descent was also intented to play with other players but now there are plenty of variants to play it solo. Runebound second edition was a nice adventure game (still playing it) that was perfect for playing solo. I see no reason why the 3rd edition wouldn't be nice to play solo.

Personally I love playing solo games but was hoping they would make certain drawn events that have to be played with more then 1 hero. So that there is a certain feeling of playing togheter against the "evil".

Personally I love playing solo games but was hoping they would make certain drawn events that have to be played with more then 1 hero. So that there is a certain feeling of playing togheter against the "evil".

I'm hoping in coop scenarios coming with expansions!

Totally agree. Hoping they implement this in an expansion in some way.

Is the only reason that this can't be played solo is because of the combat system? If so I don't think it s really a problem, there are no hard decision in combat from what I know.

My copy of 2nd Edition says 2-6 players.

If not, this edition should allow you to buy the 2nd on the cheap, a lot of people will be selling theirs.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There seems to be enough controversy over 3rd Ed, between the "is it solo?" and the "tokens instead of dice?" debates that stalwart fans of 2nd Ed will probably hold on to their copies. Whether or not they intend to buy 3rd as well. I haven't made up my own mind if I'll be buying 3rd Ed, but I will certainly be keeping my 2nd Ed no matter what. =)

I'm sure there will be some copies of 2nd Ed freed up by people upgrading to 3rd, but I don't think it will make the huge dent in online prices that some people are predicting.

Edited by Steve-O

My original copy of Runebound 2nd edition also says it is for 1-6. Single player was intuitive in the 2nd edition, even in all of the expansions. I've played The Frozen Wastes and Sands of Al-Kalim by myself many, many times without ever having to tweak or change a single rule to accommodate for solo play. 2nd edition feels like it was made for solo play.

It honestly plays the best with only 1 to 3 players.

Runebound 2nd edition is my all time favorite game (right next to Arkham Horror, also a great solo game) and this new edition seems to not only lose the intuitive nature of single player but also the overall atmosphere and charm of 2nd edition (in my opinion). I just don't care for some of the things they've gone ahead and changed. (quest "types", token battles, action points, etc.) It removes some of the simplicity of 2nd edition.

Runebound was like playing a pen and paper RPG without all the complex work and time commitment that comes with the genre. This made it even better for solo play when you couldn't get a Pathfinder/DnD group together.

However, with all that said, I think this new edition will do very well. It will appeal to a different, newer gaming crowd that has created higher expectations for games over the last 7 to 10 years. The slower pace of older games such as 2nd edition will no longer fly. 10 years makes a big difference in consumer and cultural expectation. I think this new edition will sell well with fans of Descent and other such games, which is great for Fantasy Flight Games as a business. It is the same reason Descent appeals to a newer age of gamer.

I think games like these should come with the following official variants right from the beginning:

1. Solo variant, if possible

2. Quicker/Shorter variant

3. Difficulty variant, either easier/simpler or harder/more complex

Ok, last post on this topic was before game was actually out I think. I would like to know since the game is out now, has anyone seen or heard of the solo variant. I don't see it in the rules. My wife and kid is going on a trip next weekend and week for thanksgiving and I'll be making up the house . So I was thinking of ordering this to play some solo adventures. They must have some kinda rules somewhere for solo play . Thanks

The Cajun

I think the game should play well solo. The only thing you'll have to be careful/honest is when you have to control monsters decisions. What i'd do is make the worst possible decision for you hero while respecting the rules...not sure how to explain lol

But I really thing this game can be enjoyed solo as it is but is better with a partner to quest with/against :P

I'd expect an enterprising Runebound fan to come up with the simple solution here....a phone app. Type in who your fighting and let the app decide for the monsters.

I soloed the game a couple of times just to have a feeling of it. It plays great, and you're done in 60 minutes or even less. No probs in resolving combat because all tokens available are open information, so that you can plan in advance how to resolve your attack sequence based on evidence. The only thing needed is that you're honest, so that the monster will actually use its token to damage you, and work against you, but this shouldn't be much of an issue.

There are a few effects (Corbin's special ability, a few cards, but very very very few) that require players interaction, but the game is so rich that when you are in such a situation, you may simply discard the card triggering that effect and draw a replacement. As for Corbin, he's a marvellous hero and his special ability based on challenging other heroes is really rarely used, so, it's not significant either.

Solo is absolutely possible, no probs with that.

I've played twice solo, and i enjoyed it so much. I think it became one of my best soloing games if i have few hours of free time. The only "trouble" is you have to do more staff and there are some skills/events that let you interact with other players, the rest of it is solo playable. Actually, i played with two champions so the "multiplayer" skills were not a trouble to me :)

There is a thread on BBG under runebound 3rd edition of 2 videos of someone doing a solo play through. It's broken into 2 videos, not 2 separate solo plays. Check it out. I watched some of it but I have to go back and finish it.

There is a thread on BBG under runebound 3rd edition of 2 videos of someone doing a solo play through. It's broken into 2 videos, not 2 separate solo plays. Check it out. I watched some of it but I have to go back and finish it.

A direct link would be great :D