Is this an LCG?

By Borsook, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Does anyone know if this is going to be another LCG?

It's in the board and card sub forum so I going to say it's not an LCG. That said, this is FFG, so we will probably see plenty of expansions.

So as someone nearly brand spankin' new to FFG product, but very old to Warhammer Quest (WHQ), what does your comment actually mean tofubones?

I have read the page and watched the video, but that is all "Greek" to me except the few "words" here and there I am familiar with.

In other words, what does it mean that FFG is now producing this game that is near and dear to my heart in its original form?

Will I really want to spend the dough to buy this incarnation of the game?

This will be a stand alone card based version of Warhammer quest, not an LCG.

Similar to the blood bowl game FFG made.

Never played the BB game.

So for a newby to FFG and almost all card games in general, what does " stand alone card based version" really mean?

Never played the BB game.

So for a newby to FFG and almost all card games in general, what does " stand alone card based version" really mean?

LCG are card games that are constantly changing which means tonnes of expansions e.g. Lord of the Rings has 50. If this is not an LCG it will be something more manageable. Other than that it does not say anything about the mechanics. That said, FFG is really good at converting board games into card games have a look at Rune Age, or if you like old GW games - Space Hulk: Death angel.

Thank you Borsook.

Your post is a bit more illuminating than others.

I have played poker, blackjack, baccarat, hearts, solitaire and so forth.

I had a son who played Yu-gi-oh! so I have looked at those cards.

With that background in card games, what is this WHQ game going to be?

I also noticed notations about a certain number of card covers needed.

1) What does that EXACTLY mean?

And

2) Am I limited to buying such covers from FFG or are there other suppliers that are almost always going to be cheaper?

Thank you Borsook.

Your post is a bit more illuminating than others.

I also noticed notations about a certain number of card covers needed.

1) What does that EXACTLY mean?

And

2) Am I limited to buying such covers from FFG or are there other suppliers that are almost always going to be cheaper?

you don't need to sleeve your cards, but it does protect them for long use. It's just a plastic cover the protects them from wear and tear

The FFG sleves are on the expensive side, but are good. But you can probably get card sleeves to fit from anywhere that sells Magic the Gathering or other cards games.

Edited by ithkrall

Thank you ithkrall for your response about the sleeves.

Howabout my other questions folks?

Please take on my query folks?

As for "what kind of game will this be"

It's a Co-operative game, which means you play against the game as a team. It's a pretty good format as it means you have to work as a team to win.

It looks like there are special cards for each character, so each player has a unique pool of cards to play with and can get new cards as the game progress. These combinations of cards change how the decisions you make in the game as it goes on.

Each character has a role as well in the team. One will be a better fighter than an another, while another character may be better at disamring traps. So it will include decisions about "who does what" for the best of the team.

The game will throw challenges at you in the form of a random set of cards that you encounter. So it's about how you deal with the challenges that turn up, with the resources you have, as a group.

But without more info than this video and blurb, it's hard to tell exactly how it will play.

But it looks promising.

Sounds exciting. Love FFG products and love WHQ so this game fits me well.

I am justly concerned here because I lived through the '90s with Game Workshop, and how they dumbed-down both WFB and W40K.

I am concerned that this will have the same result with WHQ.

Sounds like FFG are at least incorporating some of the themes of the original WHQ into this game.

Cooperative play, player characters and so forth.

On the other hand, I am a tabletop toy soldier wargamer from clear back in the '70s.

I like my toy soldiers.

Now, a near-perfect toy soldier boardgame is being turned into a card game.

Do you see my qualms?!?

And this is after GW turned Warhammer on its ear, pulled it inside out and propped up some pseudo-warp mutant of the original as the new Warhammer.

Do understand more fully my concerns here?!?

Truly, FFG seems to have done well for Talisman, but also made it so expensive to get the whole game or stay with the game once started that most folks I know have given up on it and sold off what they did have of it on eBay.

I can go down with y'all the same road with W-FRPG as well.

Will WHQ go down this same road is a very real concern of mine.

Do y'all comprehend my anxieties with this new game any better?

As far as game play goes, this reminds me of a more advanced version of FFG's Space Hulk: Death Angel card game. If you want sort of a preview of how this game may likely play, check out that game. Death Angel is not an expensive game and quite fun as well, so it might be worth your time and money to check it out, even just to get an idea of the feel that this game might have.

DarkCatalyst,

Thank you for the referral.

Unfortunately, in this economy, I do not have the money to take advantage of it.

Sorry.

Evidently, I will have to exercise patience and wait for reviews when it gets closer to the release or after it is released.

Edited by The Horseman

DarkCatalyst,

Thank you for the referral.

Unfortunately, in this economy, I do not have the money to take advantage of it.

Sorry.

Evidently, I will have to exercise patience and wait for reviews when it gets closer to the release or after it is released.

If you go to https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/71721/space-hulk-death-angel-card-game you should be able to find some video reviews of Death Angel which run through the rules and show an example of play. Scroll down till you find the videos section and in the upper right-hand corner of the videos box click on 'hot' to sort them by rank. The Rahdo runs through and Dice Tower reviews are both probably worth watching. Should give you an idea of how Death Angel plays, and maybe what WHQ might be like.

Keep in mind that this is pure speculation, no one really knows what the game is going to be like, and we won't until FFG starts releasing some more info on it.

Merci Zethnar.

Now patience needs to be employed really until there is more accurate information.

So as someone nearly brand spankin' new to FFG product, but very old to Warhammer Quest (WHQ), what does your comment actually mean tofubones?

I have read the page and watched the video, but that is all "Greek" to me except the few "words" here and there I am familiar with.

In other words, what does it mean that FFG is now producing this game that is near and dear to my heart in its original form?

Will I really want to spend the dough to buy this incarnation of the game?

Since only Games Workshop has the right to produce games with actual 28mm figures and they just recently killed Warhammer Fantasy Battle, the Old World, and everything related them from their own product line, this card game might be your only chance to revisit Warhammer Quest.

Although it is not the same as the original, FFG makes darn good games and very rare disappoint. I am actually thankful they are keeping the Old World alive and looking forward to play this game.

As far as game play goes, this reminds me of a more advanced version of FFG's Space Hulk: Death Angel card game. If you want sort of a preview of how this game may likely play, check out that game. Death Angel is not an expensive game and quite fun as well, so it might be worth your time and money to check it out, even just to get an idea of the feel that this game might have.

This!

I immediate thought of Death Angel after reading the preview. It really seems to be quite similar, with a couple of updates that may have been inspired by the LotR LCG. I'm really, really glad, though, that this is not an LCG.

I quite enjoy playing Death Angel and it manages to have a lot of re-playability without relying on a constant influx of new content. Death Angel also succeeds quite amirably at delivering a play experience similar to the Space Hulk boardgame despite lacking minis and a board, so I'm hopeful this will manage the same for Warhammer Quest.

This!

I immediate thought of Death Angel after reading the preview. It really seems to be quite similar, with a couple of updates that may have been inspired by the LotR LCG. I'm really, really glad, though, that this is not an LCG.

I quite enjoy playing Death Angel and it manages to have a lot of re-playability without relying on a constant influx of new content. Death Angel also succeeds quite amirably at delivering a play experience similar to the Space Hulk boardgame despite lacking minis and a board, so I'm hopeful this will manage the same for Warhammer Quest.

Nice assessments. And after listening to the game developers, it seems like WQ Card Game, like Death Angel, will be very tough to beat. Oh man, I sure hope the city of Schompf fares better than my Blood Angels squad! ;)

Edited by Eradico Pravus

Although this is not an LCG, I bet that FFG will be regularly putting out expansions.

to all who say this is not gonna be a LCG

Video Highlight - 3:12

AmeCHaw.png

So? Don't follow. It's just the name of a file on the computer of one of the graphic designers working on the game. He could have named it even "Donald Duck" for what I care.

If this were an LCG, then:

a) the board we're writing on would have been featured in the LCG section

b) they will have said it clear and loud during the presentation of the game, because LCG implies a lot of things, from monthly packs being released to organized play and all the rest

c) deckbuilding would be mandatory; this game has no deckbuilding at all (at least, so it seems)

d) the cover of the game should have the LCG logo on it (which is not present)

So, no way that this for me is an LCG, regardless of what this screenshot says, sorry

So, this then will be an LCG from the evidence above, yes?

Will that then mean it will be impossible for a non-rich man to keep up with the game?

Someone earlier said that the game being an LCG would mean lots of expansions.

That the LotR game had 50 expansions!

Sounds like serious money.

How often do these come out?

Information please!

So, this then will be an LCG from the evidence above, yes?

Will that then mean it will be impossible for a non-rich man to keep up with the game?

Someone earlier said that the game being an LCG would mean lots of expansions.

That the LotR game had 50 expansions!

Sounds like serious money.

How often do these come out?

Information please!

No, this game is not an LCG. One of the graphic designers just happened to have "LCG" in a filename. They can name files whatever they want when they are working on them.

No, this game is not an LCG. One of the graphic designers just happened to have "LCG" in a filename. They can name files whatever they want when they are working on them.

So, what sort of card game is this going to be exactly if it is not a an LCG?

I am not speaking of mechanics.

I am speaking as to card acquisition.

Will this game be one that is exact in what you buy each time or are they random like MtG, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, etc?

I really have no idea folks.

The only FFG games I am somewhat familiar with are Talisman 4th and WF-RPG 2nd/3rd.

So I really have no idea how the card games of FFG are set up.

Your help is appreciated.