Radiation Damage (discussion "Find Weakness")

By MorbidDon, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Hail and or Howdy - The Emperor Protects!

SEEPING (Trait)

At its basic level, Seeping applies to only one of the Adversary’s attack powers or other methods of attack. An Adversary with the Seeping Trait has an uncanny ability to bypass the defenses of a target, which has the effect of ignoring the target’s Armor Rating and Toughness values.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I was looking around at some AdMech materials and found that Skitarii shot some sort of energy weapon that causes Radiation Damage (in the Mini Table Top Experience). According to what I saw - that type of Damage did 1-Point regardless of SOAK values (toughness / armor / etc).

That type or ability or power (if you will) reminds me of a special ability found in the RPG called Champions (later Mutants & Masterminds) - whereby there is the talent in that game called "Find Weakness" - which basically "cuts" through all your defenses (in our case Toughness & Armor Rating) and does damage direct to the target!

Albiet - the flavor of Find Weakness in that game system has more to do with Sensory perception (i.e. you spotting a flaw or weakness / ***** in the foe's armor per say), but the overall outcome of the Mechanic is what we are focusing on here - not the fluff / only mechanics.

So for our use - I've remove the whole sensory aspect (as this is not a super power in my game) - then assign it to the Traits section found in any of the Adversaries / Foes sections of the 40k Books...

Now I'm cool with a mechanic like that in my combat system - especially if its been adopted by the Mini side of things, on a more fundamental note - Skitarii seemingly are built to whittle foes down - if they can't really damage them otherwise, the Radiation damage will - at least that's the Strategy I found in their make-up.

So yeah - Find Weakness (If you follow me posts, on the Kodex Grael - Ive assigned this "special ability" to the Illithids - and then backed that up with an excerpt from Daniel Tyson's the Necromonicon, a portion that describes the flesh of Cthulhu being... well messed up stuff LMFAO)

FIND WEAKNESS - renamed "Seeping"

So would the trait work like this?

Seeping (x)

Regardless of the targets armour or toughness an attack with the seeping quality that successfully hits always does at least x damage.

Yes... thats the idea

Man, players hate not being able to save against things, which I think is fair honestly. I would change it to be something like this:

Seeping (X)

On hit, target makes a Toughness Test against Radiation damage. For every degree of failure, they take X damage ignoring Armor and Toughness.

Then they get their save, but it's probably much more dangerous than the original writing. Win-win!

I like your approach Erathia - how about this...

Seeping (X)

That's "X" value is the maximum possible damage a Target can take from the Seeping attack - but each point of damage requires one success. This marries WeedyGrot's X-variable to your Staging of Damage - very nice - I think we got ourselves a nice House Rule Ladies & Gentleman!

Stay GAMING

Morbid