Master Level Characters for 4th Edition

By jackyboy, in Talisman Home Brews

Right here is my attempt at recreating a master level character. It had to be my personal favourite (and everyone in my groups favourite too!); Introducing the High Mage! :) I have posted this in the "New Characters Thread" but thought it deserved a Topic of its own as I would like to hear people thoughts on Master Level Characters...

High-Mage-Front-Face_zpsdxy0syiq.png

High-Mage-Rules_zpslwzfgabl.png

High-Mage-Token-Face_zpshefywmdz.png

What do you guys think? Should there be Master Level Characters in 4th Edition??? or do you think they make things a bit too overpowered? Your thoughts are very welcomed :)

Excellent!

I had considered re-creating the master classes from 2nd edition some time ago myself. I was waiting on the updated Strange Eons but clearly your motivation level was higher than mine.

Have you had a chance to do any others like the High Sheriff or the Champion of CHAOS!

I'm going to create the other master level characters over the next day or so; infact I think I have time tomorrow daytime (should be working but I do love slacking off!) :lol:

Chemical22 has had a good idea editing the idea of the master level characters over on the new characters thread. Check it out he has a good idea :)

Right here is a new twist on the Master Level Character idea; it's not new actually I took this from Djeryv's awesome homebrew for the 2nd Edition. He had some brilliant ideas and i think it is time they get an upgrade to 4th Edition :)

Introducing the Skeleton Character - Depending on how he grows in the game wil depend on what character he could grow into....

Skeleton-Front-Face_zps1qlp4m3w.png

Death-Knight-Front-Face_zpsbhtzlqwc.png

Lich-Front-Face_zps5cyqqw90.png

Interesting. They might also have an ability to avoid death, but that might be a little OP.

Its almost like gaining experience (ala RELIC) but you profession/class changes and has the potential to change back. I know it would be a lot of work but I wonder if anyone has ever considered going through the existing professions and building a class progression system. I'm a old gamer so I remember the days of Bards Tale and Wizardry where they had dozens of classes that could evolve into elite classes (at least two different kinds).

You have inspired me! It would be an interesting home brew, but here is what I can think of (and yes I have pillaged some of the class professions from Wizardry; what can I say I'm a traditionalist).

The "Elite Classes" are renamed to titles. You can achieve them by completing a series of tasks or quests, and the benefits are nice but minor. Now profession advancement. Choose one of 4 professions (say the classics) that have the potential to become 8 others (2 for each) that could finally grow into elite classes with significant benefits.

Something like this;

• Fighter
    • Ranger
      • Barbarian
      • Bard
    • Knight
      • Lord
      • Samurai
  • Cleric
    • Priest
      • Bishop
      • Shaman
    • Monk
      • Valkyrie
      • Paladin
  • Mage
    • Wizard
      • Summoner
      • Elementalist
    • Sorcerer
      • Geomancer
      • Demonologist
  • Thief
    • Rough
      • Noble Thief
      • Master Thief
    • Assassin
      • Ninja
      • Kunoichi

I love this idea! Reminds me of the old RPGs I played like Final Fantasy 4 :) Hey perhaps you could link these to the base 14 Characters. Whereby each character has a few potential paths to take. Maybe these could also relate to Alignment; would make the want to change from one alignment to another greater in some cases :)

This is what I was thinking too but link it with all the characters that are a little meh thus improving them being chosen to be played with.

The issue I run into with some of the "monstrous" characters or characters that are based on their races; Troll, Dwarf, Jinn. So I have a choice, include them as a whole and come up with some creative psydo-magical explanation or do a bit of a alternative character growth or advancement system. I'll be honest I'm not as big a fan of the second one as it precludes a lot of the home grown characters out there, and I want to be inclusive. I've got an idea in my head but give me a couple of days to bake it a little more.

Edited by caeaston

Perhaps for those 'hard to place' characters they could have a more vague quest which gives them higher stats once completed. Perhaps a mission for a witch or warlock even? ;) I look foward to tasting what you have baking away in the mind oven ;)