NHL Discussion 2009-2010

By Stag Lord, in 8. AGoT Off Topic

Well - unbelievably, the puck dorps tonight. Hockey seems to ahve the shortest off season of all the major sports - its a constant presence in teh sports calendar (though I admittedly don't start paying close attention until the holidays).

That being said - i am more pumped up for this NY Rangers team than any in recent years - solely because fo the presence of Gaborik, the stylish scoring threat we have lacked since Jagr got hurt a few years back. we lost some grit on defense and special teams with Mara, Betts and Sjostrom all departing. still - I think torotrella's up tmepo style will benefit teh squad and we can rely on King Henrik to be solid in net. I'm not predciting a dvision title, but we'll be in the running and should be a hell of a lot more fun to watch than last year's squad was.

And as I write this - the season has already started in helsinki with Chicago and PAnthers tied 1-1.

Super excited for this season. The Atlantic is stacked once again (minus the Isles). And, once again, everyone expects the Devils to suck, so hopefully they'll just go and win the division again. As sad as I am to see Shanny leave, I'm glad that the Devils are finally bringing in some youngsters. Plus, Lamaire seems to have the team far more motivated the Sutter ever did.

first time in a long time that i have expectations before a season. I try to avoid having expectations because they always lead to heartache, but something smells different this year. I think the flyers are starting to some of the things the fans have seen/known for a long time. We needed to be meaner on D, we needed to giver young guys more chances/bigger roles, we needed to get away from fighters and have guys that can play (god i still shudder over the 'Dan' line....), and they got ride of Randy Freaking Jones!

First game was awesome, all four lines got good pressure and good chances at 5 on 5. PK looks good (though i'd like to see it less then 8 times, though to be fair the refs blew 2 calls and the puck over the boards was just bad luck). PP, though 2-5. needs to be more consistent.

Oh and Stags, tell Torts thanks for Blair Betts....i dunno why he didn't want him, he sure seems like an up-tempo kind of guy.

Nah - that wasn't Torts that wanted hm back, it was that POS Sather and his budgearty concerns. Betts is one of the best penalty killer sin the league, and he and Sjostrom were a shut down pair last year. Every Ranger fan in town is just sick that he's playing for the Flyers.

And yeah - I think you guys are going to be pretty formidable this year. Shoudl eb a great race in our division - i think all four teams are threats to go deep in the playoffs.

Stag Lord said:

i think all four teams are threats to go deep in the playoffs.

Not if Marty keeps giving up all these short side softies.... bleh!

That was sweet last night - and very nice to see the power play tally two goals in a tight game. If that can pick up at all from the disaster that was last season, I'll be feeling pretty good.

Stag Lord said:

That was sweet last night - and very nice to see the power play tally two goals in a tight game. If that can pick up at all from the disaster that was last season, I'll be feeling pretty good.

A few too many bogus calls in that game (for both sides), but a good game none the less.

so i didn't get to see the game tonight, but its seems to have panned out a little bit the way i expected the caps/flyers games to go.

Caps 1st line = 4 goals, only 1 on the PP. Yeah we know that line can/will score. PP stops are big, especially the one in the final minutes of the 3rd.

Caps rest of team = 1 goal off a skate....not a lot of depth

Caps D = 2 assists, 4 penalties...shaky

Caps Goalies = Verlamov gets yanked. Theodore takes the loss....

Flyers 1st line = well so far this year its been Carter's line. He gets 0 goals, but the line gets 2, game tying and game winner (the 6.5 million dollar man...i'm glad i really liek briere, and i wish the majority of the city could get over last year/his contract already...)

Flyers depth = 4 goal scores, nasty PP, effective PK. Two injuries tonight, but two healthy guys on the bench

Flyers D = 1 goal, 8 assists. Carle had some awesome set ups tonight (he had a huge play on each of Richards' goals, which i got to see via the flyers website). Carle was tonight what Mike Green is supposed to be....

Flyers Goalie = shaky....but he gets a pass based on his last two games/probable nerves.

This is LGR's fault as he started talking thrones and Hockey after our games on OCTG.

Me, a jinx? Nah.

My B's seem to be on the right track after a shaky start, but it still feels like last year was "their" year and they squandered it.

And check out Cornell alum Matt Moulson lighting the lamp three times last night for the Isles! He leads the team in goals and is tied (~with some hack named Tavares) for most points on the team. He was a fun, effective player to watch when he played for the Big Red, but this NHL success is pretty unexpected.

How the hell do the Devils do it year after year? Freaking Parise and Brodeur and who else?

and they are off to their best start in freaking franchise history?

Unbelievable.

They'll still be gone in the second round though.

Stag Lord said:

How the hell do the Devils do it year after year? Freaking Parise and Brodeur and who else?

and they are off to their best start in freaking franchise history?

It's all an elaborate plan the hinges on Scott Burnside of ESPN predicting their demise every year. Once that's in place, the Devils are set for the playoffs. We still need more on the blue line to make it deep in the playoffs.

A great accomplishment, but now we can focus on what really matters.

congrats. I'm surprised it wasn't against us (though pitt is probably more satisfying right now). MB is one of those guys i always liked, even though he played for the devils (who if they didn't trap i don't think i would have had any dislike about....can't blame claude lemuix for hextall not knowing how to stop a shot from the blue line, and can't blame the devils when the team rebels against the coach with a 3-1 lead in the ECFs....)

I'm just glad he got it before the Olympic break. Now they can come back focussed on winning. Last year, after he got the wins record, we went 1-7 and puttered out the rest of the season.

It's hard enough for me to follow the Devils out here, so forgive my ignorance, but what's they deal with the Flyers right now?

no f-ing clue. they have people who do too many dumb things and then the rest are waiting for someone else to start playing good....

Man the Winter Classic is an amazing event. Every year it seems to get better and better.

Man - the Rangers are frustrating. They are wasting ana amzing season from Gaborik. I'll be focused on the NFL pretty much for the next month though - but I'll be popping in on the NHL more from time to time.

Let's go Pens! Pittsburgh Penguins = Stanly Cup Champs! lengua.gif

Oh right. If you're abck we cna expect more of this nonsense.

Christ, I hate the Pens.

A little late on this but anyone watch the World Juniors - specifically the excellent gold medal game? Congrats to the USA for finally knocking off Canada.

Stag - I should have given you a heads up, team USA's captain was UW Badger (& Rangers '08 2nd rnd draft pick) Derek Stepan

For you NHL fans that don't watch a lot of college hockey - this is a great tourny & great chance to see your team's draft picks playing. Interesting tournament too - both the Czechs and Slovakia failed to make round 2, as Switzerland broke up the 'big 6(7), and even went on to upset Russia to make the semi-finals, before Canada ended their run.

Nice sissy goon the Flyers have there. way to pick on and kick the crap out of a NON FIGHTING FINESSE SCORER.

I have no respect for Philly. None.

Punks.

lol i was waiting for this. and have 3 responses:

1) gaborik dropped the gloves 1st

2) where was the rest of your team to grab carcillo before anything could happen? were the d-men really that concerned about keeping the faceoff in the flyers zone over letting gaborik get tangled up w. carcillo?!?!

3) Avery got knocked the **** OUT!!!!

I'm not commenting here about teh Ranegrs standing aorund and letting that happen - I'll save my comments on THAT subject for the NY Rnagers message boards.

Your guy is still a p-y for figting with a sniper. Gaborik dropped his gloves after he got face rubbed.

Oh No! the dreaded face rub!!!!!!! the horror and dispicible-ness(i can't do daffy duck imitations) of those flyers players.

speaking of face rubs.....was it just me or when avery was trying to get richards to fight at the end of the game (intentionally, not as part of a scrum btw) did his face rub look more like a tender caress?