Harbinger movement

By gatorcoffee, in Talisman Rules Questions

Rules state, "Whenever the top Omen card is discarded, move the Harbinger figure to the Harbinger sheet after the next Omen in the stack is resolved."

So which is the trigger; the TOP Omen's discarding, or the NEXT Omen's resolution?

1) Discard the Top Omen (someone drew an Event for some reason)

2) Resolve the next Omen
3) Move Harby to his sheet.

I think the odd formulation for step 2-3 is due to the Armageddon Omens, it would get weird if you did it (2-3) in the opposite order.
(Quite a few of them has effects that are applied " ...in the same Region as the Harbinger... ", this wouldn't do much at all if you had just moved him to his sheet.)

Hope it helps!

much obliged, Nioreh.

oh yeah... newb here, still rookie on 4th revised (and myriad expansions), old master (or should I say High Mage ;) on 2nd edition.

Edited by gatorcoffee

We played on Sunday and 2 things came up but we think we resolved them correctly, or... "house rule".

1) Very early, 2nd turn even, co player drew the Spiteful Imp, that forces you to move to another character's space and immediately challenge/encounter. That Imp is an event. Coplayer was in the middle region. So she moved to my space, which was in the Highlands, but the Harbinger did go to her space.

Should the Harbinger have went to the space she *teleported* to, in another region? We didn't think so.

Later on I ventured into the Deep Realms and was on the lower catacombs on the Dungeon Side, in the space next to the Throne room. It says Draw 3 cards and encounter 1 on each turn, for the next 3 turns.

The first card I encountered was an event, a trap so the Harbinger was moved to my spot. But the cards I was to encounter were already drawn, per the space directions. I had to read and explain slowly (guess my co player wanted me to draw H's cards), but clearly (so it seems) the cards I was to encounter were already drawn so there was no reason to draw H's cards.

Was this correct?

Edited by 0beron

We played on Sunday and 2 things came up but we think we resolved them correctly, or... "house rule".

1) Very early, 2nd turn even, co player drew the Spiteful Imp, that forces you to move to another character's space and immediately challenge/encounter. That Imp is an event. Coplayer was in the middle region. So she moved to my space, which was in the Highlands, but the Harbinger did go to her space.

Should the Harbinger have went to the space *she* teleported to, in another region? We didn't think so.

The Harbinger is moved when a character draws an Event. The character is moved by the Spiteful Imp later, when encountering the Event. You did it right.

Later on I ventured into the Deep Realms and was on the lower catacombs on the Dungeon Side, in the space next to the Throne room. It says Draw 3 cards and encounter 1 on each turn, for the next 3 turns.

The first card I encountered was an event, a trap so the Harbinger was moved to my spot. But the cards I was to encounter were already drawn, per the space directions. I had to read and explain slowly (guess my co player wanted me to draw H's cards), but clearly (so it seems) the cards I was to encounter were already drawn so there was no reason to draw H's cards.

Was this correct?

Exactly, since the 3-card stack has been formed before the Harbinger is moved, you don't have to draw Harbinger cards. You follow the rules on the space, which say " encounter the top card of your stack".

There is actually no way to draw Harbinger cards in the Wraith Lord's Doman or the Rat Queen's Lair, since the spaces have no "draw card " instructions and the only option to add more cards to the stack is through the Portcullis Event. Harbinger cards are drawn only when instructed by board spaces, not when you are instructed by cards.

You may draw Harbinger cards instead of Bridge cards on a very rare occurrence: you have to land on a Bridge space and the Harbinger must be already in the same Realm, but in another space (i.e. you land on the Skull Passage and the Harbinger is on the Catacombs or Throne Room, or you land on the Rat Run and the Harbinger is on the Old Sewers or Rat's Nest).

Thanks. I can count on you to understand or be able to interpret the subtleties.