Harbinger and Dragon Mechanics

By Odinsson, in Talisman Rules Questions

If a character lands on a space that has both the Harbinger NPC and a dragon scale of the reigning dragon king, they would encounter the Harbinger and move him and roll on his chart. This is a case of Special Abilities vs. Rules. The "must" encounter the Harbinger is an effect from a card, while the "must" encounter the reigning dragon king's scale is in a rulebook. Since these conflict, the tie is broken by which is an effect derived from a card, which supercedes basic rules.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure the Harbringer card is a card in that sense because you don't draw it; it's always in play just like the rulebook. The larger cards seem more akin to rulebook text than card text, which I interpret as adventure cards (or others of the same dimensions).

The Character cards are "cards", even though you never draw them during the game (except when Transformed). It's quite safe to assume that the Harbinger NPC can be classified just like a Character. The rules chapter "Special Abilities vs. Rules" says that whenever a game component says something different from the Rulebook, the special ability or effect takes priority over standard rules. This is obviously needed to allow "game-breaking" effects to be added, especially on Character cards which have such effects since the base game. For example, Warrior can use 2 Weapons at the same time in battle. Any text written on game components other than the Rulebook takes precedence over the rules.

I think sanityismyvanity is right in his deduction. Dragon King scales must be encountered according to the Dragon Rulebook, while Harbinger must be encountered because of the instructions given on his card (AND in the Harbinger Rulesheet). Harbinger has precedence over Dragon King scales.

We still need a FAQ for the very rare case of a Lycanthrope Character landing at Night on a space where both the Harbinger and another character are present. The conflicting "musts" are both coming from card effects in this case, and "Simultaneous Effects" additional rule cannot be used here (not simultaneous, but alternative effects).

If a character lands on a space that has both the Harbinger NPC and a dragon scale of the reigning dragon king, they would encounter the Harbinger and move him and roll on his chart. This is a case of Special Abilities vs. Rules. The "must" encounter the Harbinger is an effect from a card, while the "must" encounter the reigning dragon king's scale is in a rulebook. Since these conflict, the tie is broken by which is an effect derived from a card, which supercedes basic rules.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure the Harbringer card is a card in that sense because you don't draw it; it's always in play just like the rulebook. The larger cards seem more akin to rulebook text than card text, which I interpret as adventure cards (or others of the same dimensions).

The Character cards are "cards", even though you never draw them during the game (except when Transformed). It's quite safe to assume that the Harbinger NPC can be classified just like a Character. The rules chapter "Special Abilities vs. Rules" says that whenever a game component says something different from the Rulebook, the special ability or effect takes priority over standard rules. This is obviously needed to allow "game-breaking" effects to be added, especially on Character cards which have such effects since the base game. For example, Warrior can use 2 Weapons at the same time in battle. Any text written on game components other than the Rulebook takes precedence over the rules.

I think sanityismyvanity is right in his deduction. Dragon King scales must be encountered according to the Dragon Rulebook, while Harbinger must be encountered because of the instructions given on his card (AND in the Harbinger Rulesheet). Harbinger has precedence over Dragon King scales.

We still need a FAQ for the very rare case of a Lycanthrope Character landing at Night on a space where both the Harbinger and another character are present. The conflicting "musts" are both coming from card effects in this case, and "Simultaneous Effects" additional rule cannot be used here (not simultaneous, but alternative effects).

This seems like a reasonable interpretation. I'm going to go with the rule that Harbringer takes precedence.