Margaery Tyrell

By Seagrams, in Rules Questions

I was just wondering how this card might work in some possible scenarios

1. I initiate a challenge and kneel my characters, an opponent declares his/her defenders, do I still have a window of opportunity to kneel Margaery and buff one of my participating characters before the challenge is resolved?

2. is 'Kneel to buff' ability applied also when I kneel this card to initiate a challenge/defend a challenge?

3. Question number 3 (not related to this topic though) - what happens when two players play the same plot ' Marched to the Wall' , how is the order of discarding resolved? and is it just me or is this plot usable only to get initiative and win the game with some last challenges?

Edited by Seagrams

I was just wondering how this card might work in some possible scenarios

1. I initiate a challenge and kneel my characters, an opponent declares his/her defenders, do I still have a window of opportunity to kneel Margaery and buff one of my participating characters before the challenge is resolved?

2. is 'Kneel to buff' ability applied also when I kneel this card to initiate a challenge/defend a challenge?

3. Question number 3 (not related to this topic though) - what happens when two players play the same plot ' Marched to the Wall' , how is the order of discarding resolved? and is it just me or is this plot usable only to get initiative and win the game with some last challenges?

1. Yes, there is an action window where you can use Margaery after defenders are declared but before the challenge resolves.

2. No, you have to kneel Margaery specifically as a cost to trigger her ability. Kneeling her for a challenge does not count as paying the cost of the ability. For that to work the wording would have to be "Reaction: After Margary is knelt, give a character +3 STR" or something like that. The way she is worded now means she has to be standing and you specifically kneel her to pay the cost of triggering her ability.

3. When plots are revealed it is the first player that decided in which order plots are resolved. In a Joust since both have Marched to the Wall and thus have the same initiative (not counting bonuses on other cards) it means that the person with the fewest power wins initiative or you randomly decide if you are on equal power. In a melee it depends on what other plots are revealed of course. At any rate it's up to the first player to choose the order of the plots and they resolve one after another. This means that each player will be discarding 2 characters, one for each Marched to the Wall.

Marched to the Wall is a very useful plot especially when your opponent has a single character left that is more powerful than whatever character you yourself has to discard. If your opponent decides to play a 7 cost character in the setup and no other character then it is a perfect opportunity to play Marched to the Wall especially if you have more characters or only a low cost character after setup that way you have gotten a good early advantage since your opponent spent 7 gold that was lost right away.

well that's what I call a fast and informative response! thanx a lot, it helped me inch a bit more forward towards understanding this game despite not having played any card game (apart from brainless Hearthstone) in my 36-year-long life!

Edited by Seagrams

yeah, someone marched my tywin to the wall in the first round of the kingslayer. it was all downhill from there :P

yeah, someone marched my tywin to the wall in the first round of the kingslayer. it was all downhill from there :P

Appropriate Avatar.