Force and Destiny Demo at a ComicCon

By Joress, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

I'll be attending my first ComicCon in September (Salt Lake ComicCon), and I'm really excited! I noticed they have a game area, with board games and some RPGs... But no FFG Star Wars RPG.

Since I'm knew to this whole convention thing, I wondered if I could run the FaD Beginner Game as a demo or something. Is there anything wrong with doing that? Do I need to get permission from FFG or SLCC? How do you spread the word to get players?

Any insight on how to do it would be most helpful!

As far as I know, pick-up games are pretty much standard fare at cons.

Social Media is a good way to spread the word...you'd probably have the most success with Twitter or Facebook. Other than that I'm not sure! Maybe have some friends tell their friends?

As far as I know, pick-up games are pretty much standard fare at cons.

Social Media is a good way to spread the word...you'd probably have the most success with Twitter or Facebook. Other than that I'm not sure! Maybe have some friends tell their friends?

Thanks for the response!

I think my biggest issues is not knowing anyone else going to the con right now. I did join their Facebook page, so I'll try to get some interest there.

Sounds like I don't need to be concerned with not being affiliated with FFG to run the system at the con then. Thanks again for your help!

Depending on how much time you want to invest, which means time not simply enjoying the con, maybe you could spend some time on like Friday evening and/or Saturday morning in the game area taking sign ups. Have a basic flyer in a stand up page holder and the box stood up next to it as attraction.

If it was me and I was doing that, I'd probably take 5 sign ups for the session. Any additional interest is "show up at time and if theres no shows, you're in." I chose five as the target # for a couple reasons. It allows for a few no shows and still a viable game with 3 PCs. With six total PCs, it also allows room to grow - example, 5 sign up and all show up, and one more comes in hopes of a no show, you can bump to six.

YMMV. But good luck however it goes down!

Depending on how much time you want to invest, which means time not simply enjoying the con, maybe you could spend some time on like Friday evening and/or Saturday morning in the game area taking sign ups. Have a basic flyer in a stand up page holder and the box stood up next to it as attraction.

If it was me and I was doing that, I'd probably take 5 sign ups for the session. Any additional interest is "show up at time and if theres no shows, you're in." I chose five as the target # for a couple reasons. It allows for a few no shows and still a viable game with 3 PCs. With six total PCs, it also allows room to grow - example, 5 sign up and all show up, and one more comes in hopes of a no show, you can bump to six.

YMMV. But good luck however it goes down!

Oh, that's a good idea. Getting people to try it would be my first hurdle, and I think that idea just might work. Thanks for the suggestion! I see me running only one or two sessions so I could still enjoy the con.

I've reached out the the Con as well to see if they had any thoughts. Haven't heard back from them yet.