[Spoilers] Final Boss's Weapon

By diversionArchitect, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

I have some questions about the Ancient Sith Sword.

Can it block against a lightsaber?

Is there any issue with the PC's using it?

In the Rulebook with the Beginner Game, I see an entry for Ancient Sword, which seems to be different from this Ancient Sith Sword:

For Comparison:

Rulebook Ancient Sword ( Skill:Lightsaber )

+2 Damage, Crit 3, no special effect

Ancient Sith Sword from the Adventure ( Skill:Melee )

Damage 5 (His Brawn+2?), Crit 2, and Pierce 2

Assuming the skill change was an oversight- it looks like this sword is actually better than a generic Ancient Sword. I see no reason why they couldn't use it- other than its in poor taste.

Does anyone have comments about it?

In lore the sith made their blades alchemicaly... well at least treated them alchemicly so they could go toe to toe with a lightsaber wielding jedi. I would certainly say it could, as to being able to wield it not so sure. Possibly due to it being a well made blade that has been treated and made more deadly, but it could also be exotic as i would imagine each blade was made in a peculiar fashion and the weight sits funny or the sith that made it crafted it for his own hand and not that of another. Up to you in the end. As for the PC's using it depending on if anybody can identify it as a sith blade and not some really flashy sword i would imagine it is okay until a historian, jedi, sith or other applicable individual comes around and see's the blade then it gets interesting "Why sir i see you have an ancient dark side weapon..." probably not that obvious but something along those lines yes?

It's a unique NPC weapon.

But since the NPC in question doesn't have the Parry talent (an oversight in my view), it's kind of non-relevant as to whether it could "block" a lightsaber strike or not.

Though truthfully, since the Parry talent (at least in the Beta) could be used with either a Lightsaber or Melee weapon, than if Malefax did have the Parry talent, he could use it. And to be honest, I've added notes to his stat block to give him both a rank in Adversary and at least one rank in Parry so that he lasts a bit longer against any of the lightsaber-using PCs, especially Pon (Nautolan Warrior) who is a freaking beast with a 'saber due to having a Brawn of 4 where the other 'saber-users only have a 3 in their governing characteristic.

The adversary 1 isn't a bad idea, but I'm probably not going to crank him up too much from where he is now, since he is merely The Dragon to the much bigger end boss who is still waiting in the wings.

The adversary 1 isn't a bad idea, but I'm probably not going to crank him up too much from where he is now, since he is merely The Dragon to the much bigger end boss who is still waiting in the wings.

I gave the bad guy from the beginner box Adversary 1 and the End Boss of Lure of the Lost Adversary 2.

Perhaps, but against full-blown lightsabers even Adversary 1 isn't going to do all that much. A single rank in Parry is enough to extend Malefax's ability to fight by a small margin and enable him to be more of a threat to any of the pre-gen saber-monkeys. And if they do gang up on him, then he'll be burning strain like crazy from two (maybe even three) lightsaber attacks each round, and even then he's got a decent chance to make it into round three even against those kinds of odds.

Plus, I've found making the BBEG of a module be a tough fight makes the PCs feel all the more badass when said opponent finally goes down.

Well, as it shook out last weekend, Malefax was a chump. He wasn't smart, he wasn't tough and went down like a puppet with his strings cut. His boss, on the other hand, **** near killed my two players (and I didn't dial him up much from the pre-printed version, only giving him a handful of parrys and an increased wound threshold).

Well, as it shook out last weekend, Malefax was a chump. He wasn't smart, he wasn't tough and went down like a puppet with his strings cut. His boss, on the other hand, **** near killed my two players (and I didn't dial him up much from the pre-printed version, only giving him a handful of parrys and an increased wound threshold).

And how much XP was handed out between when your PCs fought Malefax and then fought that Dark Jed?

Lure of the Lost seems to have been written to have at least three to five sessions before the PCs even get to the chapter that concludes with facing the Dark Jedi, which itself could be another two or three sessions. Going with the average award of 15 XP per session, that's anywhere from 75 to 120 XP that the PCs should have (plus the 20 XP from Mountaintop Rescue) before facing this guy.

So yeah, if you just went from the Malefax fight to the Dark Jedi fight without the proper XP awards in between, then the PCs are going to get slaughtered, since the Dark Jedi is a nemesis better suited for Knight Level PCs than the starting out variety, lightsabers or not.

We are at about 500-ish points. Mind you, a lot of that is diversity, most of us have picked up 3 and 4 trees instead of plunging straight down one tree and buying tons of skills. Also, we were running a person short that night, the Combat God was out hiking, leaving just the Jedi/Medic and Archaeologist/scout to fend for themselves.

Fortunately, I had an out. The guy was more interested in running away than fighting, so instead of delivering a death blow, he would have simply just split. A bit anticlimactic, I know - but fortunately it didn't come to that.

I ran this for my group and they had the same question, the PC that picked up the weapon had the lightsaber skill, but no lightsaber, and we ruled that he would use the training that he possessed with lightsaber to use this blade in the same fashion. In the end, I didn't mind the extra quality over the rulebook blade, and considered this a cortosis blade (but didn't tell the player that). There is a Bounty Hunter In Clone Wars that uses an ancient blade that is similar, I went with that as the look.

When I compared the player with this blade to his compatriots that were hitting for more damage, and more weapon special abilities, at range, I didn't mind this player having something cool at melee.

They haven't come across any historians or other Jedi yet though, and CMDG33K makes a valid point, I may use that as a good maguffin to have the players hunted by another group.

I was thinking about this as well, as I'm pretty sure the group I'm GM for will want his big shiny sword, especially those without a lightsaber currently.

My thoughts were how about wielding such a weapon causes the user to be tainted by the dark side? Something the PC might be unaware of until pointed out by the gatekeeper/something happening? And seeing as the temple is a place where tainted Jedi came to regain their inner peace, the PC could be restored or choose to keep the weapon and suffer the consequences? Could potentially lead to interesting character development for future encounters. Especially going into lure of the lost and the cave of light and dark etc. Thoughts?

Regarding the ancient sith sword, and similar artifacts: is there canon example for the appropriate disposal, or purification, of such items?

The blade must be (for example):

• "cleansed in the pure snows atop Mount Tellec" or
  • "destroyed in the lava of Mustafar" or
  • "tossed into the bottomless cenote of the jedi temple."

Any precedent for what should be done?

Also: any Star Wars rpg equivalent to the old D&D notion of "intelligent weapons?"

Just curious about what is already out there, or what others have done, before me.

None of my people wanted the weapon when I did it, though I think it would be a greatish weapon

On 7/20/2015 at 11:13 PM, diversionArchitect said:

Rulebook Ancient Sword ( Skill:Lightsaber )

+2 Damage, Crit 3, no special effect

Ancient Sith Sword from the Adventure ( Skill:Melee )

Damage 5 (His Brawn+2?), Crit 2, and Pierce 2

Does anyone have comments about it?

Ancient Sword with a fully modded Monomolecular Edge attachment.

I think the real reason the ancient sith lost was because they were using ancient swords. XD