The different types of checks

By Nanich, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I am having troubles understanding all the different types of checks. I know it is all in the rules, but it is spread out and hard to locate the specifics.

I just GMed my first session, and in some cases, to keep the flow going, I was making it up as I went.

What I am confused about is adding the challenge dice.

Standard Check : You add challenge dice based on how hard the GM things the action will be.

Opposed Checks: You add challlenge dice based on the opposing NPC characteristics.

Action Checks: This is where it gets tricky.

• If it is a melee or ranged attack you add one challenge die and misfortune for the level of defence.
  • If it is a skill vs skill check you add challenge dice based on the "opposed check difficulty" chart + anything in the upper left hand corner.
  • If it just has one skill listed and no Vs., just the one skill you only add dies based on the upper left hand corner.

Does that make sense? Is that about right?

Nanich

That looks about right.

On action cards if it's just "skill" listed there is no Challenge Die unless there are mods in upper left.

Rather than thinking "melee or ranged" think wherever its vs "Target Defence" be it melee, ranged or spell (some spells target Def) then One Challenge Dice + Def modifiers.

For skill uses it's important to decide if it's against an opposing force of some sort in which case Perform a Stunt action is used (more chance of stress/fatigue etc.).

For First Aid/medical to remember its 1 Challenge (normal) or 2 Challenge (critical wound).

Remember as GM to bring in Location Card effects, be free with environmental dice, generous rewarding role playing (whether with fortune dice or points into fortune pool etc.)

Count Dimon's summary (v6) - you can find in Glitzman's Gallery as the Warhammer Reference Guide

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/wfrp-resources.html

The replacement GM screens are also very handy.

Yes that information is amazing. I was not really happy with what was on the GM screens. Those new screens have the information I was needing during my last game!

Nanich