Touched by the Warp

By player2068881, in Forbidden Stars

How does the Touched by the Warp card work? We couldn't really figure it out in our game yesterday.

Does it allow you to buy an upgrade card without having the command level prequisite if you have sufficient warpstorms bordering your territory?

Does it allow you to take an upgrade card for free that's lower or equal in command level to the command level of the number of warpstorms bordering your territory but you still need sufficient cities to meet the command level?

Are you just allowed to take any upgrade without paying the materiel cost or meeting the command level prequisite if you have enough warpstorms bordering one of your systems?

Or is all of the above untrue and is there another way to run it?

Could you possbly post the text of the card? It'd be easier to comment :)

Destroy 1 Cultist in any system to gain 1 free upgrade card. The command level of that upgrade card cannot exceed the number of Warp Storms bordering that system.
Edited by Redwyrmling

Ok, thanks. Basically, you gain a free upgrade, treating the number of warpstorms bordering the system as your actual command level. This means you do not count the cities you control, and that if you have let's say 2 warp on the borders, you can get up to command level 2

Hope this helps

incidentally that works both ways. if you have 3 cities but only one warp storm, you would be limited to a lvl 1 upgrade.

Wow, this could pottentially be a great event. Or a lousy one if you don't have a warpstorm bordering one of your territories...

I can imagine it being awesome if you get this during turn 2 and getting a command level 2 or 3 upgrade for free. :)

I'm still not 100% certain.

The card does not say the number of warpstorms count as your command level.
The card says you get to take an upgrade card of which the command level is no greater than the number of warpstorms bordering the system. It does not say you get to ignore actual command level.
"Free upgrade card" is not specified in the rules reference, nor learn to play, as opposed to "Free unit".

How can this ever be a lousy event? Worst case you sac a cultist for a same material value order upgrade or combat card boosting your combat deck faster than it was supposed to be. All the Mark combat cards, probably the staple cards of the chaos combat deck, are always available trough this event.

Anyways, I'll play it as described by Julia and see what happens. But I have my doubts concerning balance.

Edited by VikingStene

I see where you are coming from, VS. A legit doubt. You could use the rules question function on this very site to ask them how to read the card and have an official answer that could settle all the doubts :)

I've just received an email from FFG confirming that when you receive a free upgrade you ignore your current command level and do not have to pay materiel. If you played this card, sacrificed a cultist in a system bordered by 2 warpstorms you would be able to take any upgrade with a command requirement of 2 or less. No matter how many cities you have.

Quite impressed by FFG replying to rules questions like this. I play a lot of games and this is the first time that I've known a gaming company to have a direct way of contact to ask these questions and especially that they answer them this fast.

My esteem (and the part of my income going to games) for FFG has risen even more.

Rules Question:

I have a question regarding "Touched by the Warp", a tactic from the Chaos event deck. The card reads as follows: Destroy 1 Cultist in any system to gain 1 free upgrade card. The command level of that upgrade card cannot exceed the number of Warp Storms bordering that system. In order to pick an upgrade card, do you have to have the actual command level of the card chosen in addition to the number of warp storms bordering the system? "Free upgrade card" is not specified in the rules reference as opposed to "free unit". Nor does the card say you get to ignore actual command level either. Example: After the 1st turn the chaos player draws Touched by the warp from his event deck and sacrifices a cultist in e system with 2 bordering warpstorms. He has not build a city in his first turn so his actual command level is 0. Does he get to pick for instance Complete Destruction (Advance order -- 2 Command, 3 Materiel)? Thanks in advance, Jan

Hello Jan,

Thank you for your question.
You are correct that the entry is missing from the rulebook, and the entry for “Free Units” should also include clarifications about getting free upgrades and structures. The rules are very similar though; when you get something for “free” you ignore your command level and do not have to pay any materiel. Your example is correct. Chaos wants to be surrounded by Warpstorms if they have this event card.
I hope that helps!

Samuel Bailey
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games