Is there a non insane price to get core set?

By Bulwyf, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I waited to get this until I could find some people to play with and now that I have actually found a group, well, this almost 200.00 USD price for the core set is kinda insane. Is there a reasonable place to purchase this? My wife would like to play a Witch Hunter and I'd like to play an Ogre as her henchman/retinue bodyguard with other players want the standard Empire or Dwarf character. Is all of that available in the core set or is there specific supplements we'd need for witch hunter and ogre characters?

Edited by Bulwyf

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-core-set-fantasy-flight-games/1102179331?ean=9781589946965

You'll have to pay slightly above MSRP (originally $100). I paid that for the set I bought in a physical store, though, and I don't regret it.

Also, the rules to play as an Ogre are in Hero's Call.

http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-Fantasy-Roleplay-Heros-Call/dp/1616613343

Basic Rundown:

Signs of Faith: includes rules for playing priests from faiths other than Morr, Shallya, and Sigmar, as well as rules for disease and Nurgle

Winds of Magic: includes rules for playing wizards from schools other than the fire one, death one, and future-predicting one, as well as rules for mutation and Tzeench

Omens of War: includes rules for various martial careers, as well as rules for serious wounds (e.g. missing limbs) and Khorne

Lure of Power: includes rules for social conflicts and playing nobility, as well as rules for Slaanesh

Creatures Guide/Vault: The vault includes standups and cards for a bunch of creatures and actions (including creatures from Signs of Faith and Winds of magic; Omens of War and Lure of Power include cards for their creatures). The guide clarifies some of the rules on the cards (you could find this info online) and includes setting info for them

Players Guide/Vault & GMs Guide/Vault: The two guides are the best published version of the rules, better than those in the core book. The vaults replicate most of the bits from the core set, so you may prefer to buy them rather than the core set. Note that you need both vaults to replicate all the core set bits and both guides to replicate all the rules.

Blackfire Pass: Special rules for dwarfs and dwarf careers, as well as setting stuff

Hero's Call: Special rules for epic level play and monsters, as well as new character creation species (Ogres and Halflings, as well as rules for dwarfs from different karaks and humans from different EMPIRE regions) and a rule on translating a large amount of actions into one epic roll.

Adventurers Toolkit: Contains several extra player careers, including some iconic ones such as the ratcatcher.

GMs Toolkit: Contains a GM screen and extra GMing rules/houserules. The screen is inferior to the free one you can download off Gitzman's Gallery.

The Gathering Storm: This is a decent-length but disconnected adventure for characters.

The Edge of Night: This is a spiritual successor to Night at the Three Feathers in terms of timing and so on, but lots of people weren't huge fans of it.

The Witch's Song: This is many folks favorite published 3E adventure, and has rules for playing hedge mage characters.

The Enemy Within: Another epic adventure that most people agree is pretty good. Made to be played with starting characters.

The Print on Demand stuff is mostly extra spells/blessings for the priests/wizards included in the core rule box. There's a dreadfleet one that includes some ocean-going NPCs (Including a chaos dwarf!) and locations. There's also one that has rules for playing a necromancer career.

I think that's all of the 3E product. Feel free to ask further questions to know which stuff you'd like to get. My personal recommendation is to get the Core Product (either with the Vaults/Guides or the Core Box, the 4 main expansions, the adventurer's toolkit, the creature's vault, and Hero's Call. The other stuff is more niche.

Incidentally, you can get a players vault and GMs vault for less than 50 bucks. The PDFs of the Players Guide and GMs guide will cost you 45 bucks. So that will be a bit cheaper than the core box and has mostly the same stuff. The Core Box will contain some extra tokens and dice, but that's it.

Edited by Nimsim

On ebay.uk core set pop up for around £30—50. Anything around £100 and up, tends not to sell very good. Keep an eye on ebay, but it may take couple of weeks.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-core-set-fantasy-flight-games/1102179331?ean=9781589946965

You'll have to pay slightly above MSRP (originally $100). I paid that for the set I bought in a physical store, though, and I don't regret it.

Basic Rundown:

Signs of Faith: includes rules for playing priests from faiths other than Morr, Shallya, and Sigmar, as well as rules for disease and Nurgle

Winds of Magic: includes rules for playing wizards from schools other than the fire one, death one, and future-predicting one, as well as rules for mutation and Tzeench

Omens of War: includes rules for various martial careers, as well as rules for serious wounds (e.g. missing limbs) and Khorne

Lure of Power: includes rules for social conflicts and playing nobility, as well as rules for Slaanesh

Creatures Guide/Vault: The vault includes standups and cards for a bunch of creatures and actions (including creatures from Signs of Faith and Winds of magic; Omens of War and Lure of Power include cards for their creatures). The guide clarifies some of the rules on the cards (you could find this info online) and includes setting info for them

Players Guide/Vault & GMs Guide/Vault: The two guides are the best published version of the rules, better than those in the core book. The vaults replicate most of the bits from the core set, so you may prefer to buy them rather than the core set. Note that you need both vaults to replicate all the core set bits and both guides to replicate all the rules.

Blackfire Pass: Special rules for dwarfs and dwarf careers, as well as setting stuff

Hero's Call: Special rules for epic level play and monsters, as well as new character creation species (Ogres and Halflings, as well as rules for dwarfs from different karaks and humans from different EMPIRE regions) and a rule on translating a large amount of actions into one epic roll.

Adventurers Toolkit: Contains several extra player careers, including some iconic ones such as the ratcatcher.

GMs Toolkit: Contains a GM screen and extra GMing rules/houserules. The screen is inferior to the free one you can download off Gitzman's Gallery.

The Gathering Storm: This is a decent-length but disconnected adventure for characters.

The Edge of Night: This is a spiritual successor to Night at the Three Feathers in terms of timing and so on, but lots of people weren't huge fans of it.

The Witch's Song: This is many folks favorite published 3E adventure, and has rules for playing hedge mage characters.

The Enemy Within: Another epic adventure that most people agree is pretty good. Made to be played with starting characters.

The Print on Demand stuff is mostly extra spells/blessings for the priests/wizards included in the core rule box. There's a dreadfleet one that includes some ocean-going NPCs (Including a chaos dwarf!) and locations. There's also one that has rules for playing a necromancer career.

I think that's all of the 3E product. Feel free to ask further questions to know which stuff you'd like to get. My personal recommendation is to get the Core Product (either with the Vaults/Guides or the Core Box, the 4 main expansions, the adventurer's toolkit, the creature's vault, and Hero's Call. The other stuff is more niche.

Incidentally, you can get a players vault and GMs vault for less than 50 bucks. The PDFs of the Players Guide and GMs guide will cost you 45 bucks. So that will be a bit cheaper than the core box and has mostly the same stuff. The Core Box will contain some extra tokens and dice, but that's it.

Seriously thank you for such a great write up and summary of all the products. I was able to get the core set from barnes and nobles and got hero's call for the Ogre choice. Did they ever get around to making Dark Elves or VC/Tomb Kings a playable option?

No rules for DE, VC or TK as player characters.

Here's an excel list with all careers listed and in which supplement they are included in:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zu3r2kehvpmrnk9/master%20career%20list.xlsx?dl=0

Witch hunter came in the core set, but witch hunter captain is included in signs of faith and vampire hunter in hero's call.

A lot of dwarven careers can be found in blackfire pass.

The list is quite helpful when picking out which boxes to buy as careers are often important when choosing. :)

Basic Rundown:

Seriously thank you for such a great write up and summary of all the products. I was able to get the core set from barnes and nobles and got hero's call for the Ogre choice. Did they ever get around to making Dark Elves or VC/Tomb Kings a playable option?

Congrats on your purchase! Let us know if you have questions about the rules or anything. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is that you really have to embrace the Game part of this rpg. That means making a lot of use of the progress tracker (basically, anytime your players are doing something outside of combat, you should have a progress tracker for them to make use of (and use them in combat, too!). When you're creating results for the dice, make heavy use of the mechanics (such as the condition cards, stress/fatigue, and the like) as consequences. In order to make this not hold up the narrative, always do NARRATIVE FIRST, then assign a mechanical effect to things. Whenever your players are doing something that involves socializing in an environment with more than one NPC, or with a very important NPC, run it as a social encounter and use the progress tracker in order to chart win conditions. If your players are ever trying to use their action cards outside of combat, you should probably go ahead and declare a social encounter. Basically, in order to really make this game shine, you have to give almost every action involving a roll some kind of mechanical effect in addition to the narrative one. In order to get used to all of the moving parts, whenever you have a result that you're unsure how to add mechanical effect to, just choose from either stress/fatigue, the party sheet, the progress tracker, or a condition card. That will get you into the groove of using those things more often.

Basic Rundown:

Congrats on your purchase! Let us know if you have questions about the rules or anything. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is that you really have to embrace the Game part of this rpg. That means making a lot of use of the progress tracker (basically, anytime your players are doing something outside of combat, you should have a progress tracker for them to make use of (and use them in combat, too!). When you're creating results for the dice, make heavy use of the mechanics (such as the condition cards, stress/fatigue, and the like) as consequences. In order to make this not hold up the narrative, always do NARRATIVE FIRST, then assign a mechanical effect to things. Whenever your players are doing something that involves socializing in an environment with more than one NPC, or with a very important NPC, run it as a social encounter and use the progress tracker in order to chart win conditions. If your players are ever trying to use their action cards outside of combat, you should probably go ahead and declare a social encounter. Basically, in order to really make this game shine, you have to give almost every action involving a roll some kind of mechanical effect in addition to the narrative one. In order to get used to all of the moving parts, whenever you have a result that you're unsure how to add mechanical effect to, just choose from either stress/fatigue, the party sheet, the progress tracker, or a condition card. That will get you into the groove of using those things more often.

My advice would have been the absolute reverse, throw away the progress tracker and run everything as makes sense for your players and situation. The progress tracker just added a mechanic where one was not needed. As a GM you should learn to pace your encounters correctly for a group. And it varies greatly per group the correct pacing.

But the rest I could agree on, make full use of the system, its very flexible and very descriptive.

Thanks for the response, guys. :)

I hope you can help answer the following: What would you recommend for a first time group of four players with the idea that one character is a witch hunter, the other an Ogre melee fighter bodyguard and the two remaining are up in the air?

Basic Rundown:

My advice would have been the absolute reverse, throw away the progress tracker and run everything as makes sense for your players and situation. The progress tracker just added a mechanic where one was not needed. As a GM you should learn to pace your encounters correctly for a group. And it varies greatly per group the correct pacing.

But the rest I could agree on, make full use of the system, its very flexible and very descriptive.

I have no idea why you'd want to throw out the progress tracker, as it is one of the single best innovations for translating narrative into gameplay. The progress tracker allows you to give your players concrete goals for things that occur outside of combat. The progress tracker is basically the GMs way to assign an HP value to the plot. Players get to see progress they're making. It also lets them see the progress their opponents are making and keeps the players on track. The tracker allows the GM to be much less arbitrary with his calls and opens up transparency between him and the players. The progress tracker is how you take the excitement of combat and translate it to social encounters or investigation. The progress tracker is how you turn the story into a game, and, in my opinion, is really important for distinguishing the game from just doing freeform roleplay. Having a progress tracker also allows you the important ability of your players to pace the encounter themselves. They see the tracker. They have some idea of what it's leading to. They will have the visceral sense of having a concrete timer for themselves. The big thing to keep in mind is that all of these mechanical bits are meant to do the work FOR the GM. They keep track of all the different things that a GM would normally have to make up as he goes. The biggest issue is that you have to do the beginning time investment followed by quick regular maintenance. This requires the GM to take a much heavier role in running gameplay than most GMs are used to. The results can be worthwhile, though. The big thing to keep in mind is that wfrp really does need to be run more similarly to a board game than most RPGs, and that this is not a bad thing.

Thanks for the response, guys. :)

I hope you can help answer the following: What would you recommend for a first time group of four players with the idea that one character is a witch hunter, the other an Ogre melee fighter bodyguard and the two remaining are up in the air?

Honestly, I'd recommend you do the system's default method of drawing three careers and picking one. Barring that, though, I'd say you could have fun with adding some other iconic careers (wizard, priest, trollslayer, etc).