Printing Tips for Home Brews

By mightywolve, in Talisman Home Brews

Hello!

Currently I am seeking advice on how to print this expansion: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/93773-the-vision-expansion-more-than-1100-cards-for-talisman/

Any tips on what sites to use, where, how etc? I know there is a printing guide in the document file but thats more technical stuff, not practical tips. I also searched a lot on internet, but I am not really getting any wiser on what to do. I checked out www.printerstudio.com but they don't have the right size for the mini cards.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

When I designed and printed my 2nd Edition Talisman expansion I decided to use a different size card by artscow. You can view the project where I discuss these cards here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1134732/dragons-expansion-new-board

I also printed expansions for 2nd edition by others through the same way. I understand the difficulty in printing cards to match official decks, therefore I only get fan made expansions which do not add to official decks.

I do not believe any company makes custom cards in the official size.

If you need more info in these companies or how to use those sites after reading the above link, please ask again here and I will help.

Thanks for your answer! But aren't 2nd and 4th edition have other measures?

And on artscow I need to pay 11,99 dollars for 54 cards? I want to print 1000 cards from that expansion? :(

Good afternoon all,

My suggestion, don't try and reproduce playable cards; just try to reproduce the thickness and visual appearance; then sleeve them. My rational and method. Visually they appear almost identical, the thickness and weight is good, and it takes a fairly close look to realize these have been crafted. How? It takes some time, but I stand by the results. I will also say this...TEST...TEST...TEST. The materials I can get here in Calgary my differer from where you are so...TEST...TEST...TEST. Believe me its worth it in the long run.

Print the front of the cards using a photo inkjet printer for best results using photo paper, but that can get expensive so just good quality white paper is fine. Inkjets give the best on screen to physical colour matching but again ink can get expensive so a decent colour laser printer can work as well. Then print the back of the card on card stock paper. Its thicker than regular paper and the combined thickness is 90% that of stock Talisman cards. Now the PAINFUL part, assembly. This is were I REALLY appreciate those who produce add ons where the front and backs of the cards line up. THANK YOU STRANGE EONS! We look forward to upcoming new version!

If your front and back of the cards line up nicely then no cutting is required (yet). I find that pinning down the card stock to the table or fixing its position makes the alignment of the front and back easier. Glue? I find using a spray adhesive works best (something with a low viscosity but also low moisture content). Spry the back of the card stock very lightly but completely. Once covered edge to edge apply the front printed image carefully. Place the combined two printed images (now glued) quickly under a flat object that covers the entire surface that applies equal pressure over the entire surface (possibly something a wee bit larger). Now, WALK AWAY for 10 minutes! Don't peak, don't shift it, don't even think about it. 10 Minutes! I've been experimenting using two warmed or pre-heated surfaces after researching how cards are produced industrially. Apparently it dramatically reduces the curl factor. I'll let you know.

Once that's done check it ensure that your creation is bone dry! You can accelerate this with a dehydrator or in the oven a a very low temperature but its been my experience that this can cause the material to curl, so be patient and leave it under pressure in a dry location until it is done. Minor curling might occur but that's normal. Down to the scale of the individual cards it should be barley noticeable.

So assuming its now dry, the secret ingredient! Using a Paper Varnish (yes its a real thing) paint a very thin layer on both sides. Again let it dry completely on one side before applying to the other side. Why not cut first then paint? To lessen the chance of the paper and card stock curling or even separating. This should take the card up to about 95% the thickness of a stock card, it protects the card, and it offers a very minor sheen that you get from a stock game card..

Finally cut the cards using strait edges (metal ruler) and an precision knife (exacto). Rounding the corners has always been a challenge so eventually I just stopped doing it all together because of the final step. Insert into plastic card sleeve.

Admittedly this works well for small expansions, but here are notable few that might be better served by a laser cutter or paper stamp tool of some kind just because of the sheer volume of material. This is by no means a criticism, in fact it help push me to look for a better, quicker and easier solution. I continue to seek out better ways to accomplish this and will speak up if I find anything.

Good luck.

Edited by caeaston

Thanks for your answer! But aren't 2nd and 4th edition have other measures?

As I already shared, you will not find the proper size for either edition, and thus why I recommend not printing or getting expansions that mix fan made content with official content. therefore it doesn't matter if you use these for any game or any edition.