Predictions for game meta/balance?

By Zigur, in General Discussion

I'm curious how veteran players think the dust will send once players grab their second and third core sets. Do any factions/strategies seem particularly strong? Weak? Fun?

Definitely not a veteran, but we know most of the cards by now. And all of the rules, finally. Here's what I'm thinking:

The gold curve is expanded, but not by that much. 7 gold for The Red Viper is still unreachable with all of the current plots, so the little guys are still going to be really important for all of the factions. (Even if the big guys seem very powerful.)

Splashing is going to be weird. The dragons aren't loyal, but Dany is? That said, some of the non-loyal cards look pretty strong. Arianne Martell, Widow's Wail, any action speed ability that messes with strength or challenges.

I'm probably going to try building a Greyjoy murder deck, to test against that kind of disruption if nothing else. And I like Night's Watch thematically, though the defensive style seems a little weak.

Definitely not a veteI like Night's Watch thematically, though the defensive style seems a little weak.

As weak as it seems, it looks like it may combo with Martel's delay for victory scheme. At least just out of the corebox.

It really depends on how well the non-loyal "shell" of each particular house synergizes with the house that they're banner to. Some probably will be better main factions, others better as bannermen. People have already noted how the R'hllor group out of Baratheon is non loyal and would bring a kneel-control package to any other deck.

Yeah, that looks like an awesome banner include in control sort of decks. Night's Watch + kneeling could be strong.

The gold curve is expanded, but not by that much. 7 gold for The Red Viper is still unreachable with all of the current plots,

A Noble Cause gives 5 gold and reduces the cost of the first Lord or Lady marshalled by 2; that is the Red Viper right there.

Also you get 8 Gold in the Setup and The Kingsroad reduces a character by 3. RV doesn't seem to be a problem to play.

The gold curve is expanded, but not by that much. 7 gold for The Red Viper is still unreachable with all of the current plots,

A Noble Cause gives 5 gold and reduces the cost of the first Lord or Lady marshalled by 2; that is the Red Viper right there.

I'm having trouble thinking of a good reason for A Noble Cause to not be my two-of, though who knows whether that will change with the cards actually in my hands. I do expect that to be among the more sought-after singles from TC, at any rate.

Also you get 8 Gold in the Setup and The Kingsroad reduces a character by 3. RV doesn't seem to be a problem to play.

You have to be careful marshalling the big guys in Setup. One Marched to the Wall and you are in big trouble!

I'm having trouble thinking of a good reason for A Noble Cause to not be my two-of, though who knows whether that will change with the cards actually in my hands. I do expect that to be among the more sought-after singles from TC, at any rate.

You probably don't want it as a two-of in Night's Watch! I think the Old Bear is the only Lord in the faction, at least until Slynt shows up. Other than that it is solid.

I'm liking:

Summons - good first turn plot to plug any gaps in your opening setup

A Noble Cause - both for paying for the 7 gold big guns, and just general econ

Wildfire Assault - reset

Filthy Accusations - Kneeling people is good

Power Behind the Throne - Standing people is also good

The Winds of Winter - to greater press an advantage in board state

7th slot tech for what ever faction you are playing as. A Game of Thrones is good for Lannister. A storm of Swords for Greyjoy or Targaryen

Edited by Dzerards

You probably don't want it as a two-of in Night's Watch! I think the Old Bear is the only Lord in the faction, at least until Slynt shows up. Other than that it is solid.

You're right, of course. I suppose my forgetting that stipulation is a good indicator of my level of interest in taking the black. :P

Edited by MarthWMaster

This is very difficult to foresse the real meta of this game. All factions seems playables at competitive level and deckbuild is already very rich.

There is lot of different decks (sometimes in the same house) who seems really powerful : military agro (stark or greyjoy mainly claming 2/3/4 and killing more with events), lot of control / kill (targ or barathen full of tears or put to the sword), there is some "tower " decks (i survive until i put my main character out and explode in power like robert or daenerys decks).

Depending of what will be more played or not in your area, your meta will be totally different and you will not played the same counters...

Except hand judgment who seems like an autoinclude.

For example in an environnement where direct kills are everywhere, you will favor cards like bodyguard / duplicates or high gold curve plots to restore your table. You will more think abut the wolf banner as this give you bran.

On the other hand, if your environnement is full of heavy towers unstoppable, you might want to focus on blanking plots or milk or enter more direct kills.

This is what seduce me after some games : you have tools to do anything... a good player is determined by his good reading of the environnement and his capacity to play / tutor the right thing at the right time and this is what i ask of a good game !