No attachments

By DiscoReViVaL1, in Rules Questions

Hello friends

I've been reading the learn-how-to-play guide and watching the top notch tutorial movies on YouTube. I get most of the game but there is just one card ability that confuses me:

“No Attachments”

I get that that means the specific card cannot have weapons or other attachment played on it. I get it that Summer cannot wield a sword or wear armor. But does that effectively protect Summer from your opponents harmful attachments?

It just sounds a bit weird to me. I can picture an animal not being able to use weapons, but animals can still be sick or cursed or locked up or whatever comes to mind.

That said I’m still getting 3 copies even if that piece of theme doesn’t fit. ;-)

Thanks for your insight

PS: Havent played 1.0 so forgive me if that was already obvious in the previous version.

Yep, that's exactly what it means. Typically "No Attachments" is a card you see on Creature or Army characters because like you said, a single bodyguard or a single sword does little to a wolf, a dragon, or a thousand men.

Likewise, you can't get access to a wild animal or a thousand men to administer a sedative like Milk of the Poppy , the First Sword of Braavos doesn't have enough hours in the day to give a thousand men Syrio's Training, et cetera.

Yep, that's exactly what it means. Typically "No Attachments" is a card you see on Creature or Army characters because like you said, a single bodyguard or a single sword does little to a wolf, a dragon, or a thousand men.

Likewise, you can't get access to a wild animal or a thousand men to administer a sedative like Milk of the Poppy , the First Sword of Braavos doesn't have enough hours in the day to give a thousand men Syrio's Training, et cetera.

Thank you for the clear reply. The rules are very clear and it makes sense most of the time BUT I think its very possible that Varys or the like might find a way to drop some milk of the poppy into the drinking bowl of the Dire wolves or poison their meat..

But now I'm getting a bit overboard I guess :-)

Thank you for the anwser once more.

at some point realism has to cede to game mechanics. I think Milk of the Poppy is intended to represent long term administration of the stuff, to keep someone addled and ineffectual. Hard to do that to a wolf that generally hunts its own meat.

Yeah, you can't use story elements to predict, or even explain, game mechanics.

Think of what Milk of the Poppy is and what it is used for: pain relief and anesthetizing people to the point where they are asleep. Completely. But all the attachment does is blank the text box of a card. It can still attack. Or defend. Or be used to pay for other abilities. Or for dominance. If it were "completely realistic" to the books, a character with Milk of the Poppy attached shouldn't be good for anything other than taking up space.

It's fun when things in the game coincide with story elements - like Syrio's Training giving characters a MIL icon, or Bran being able to take control of a character for a short amount of time (a 1.0 card) - but trying to find perfect correlation will be both impossible and ultimately disappointing.

Yeah, you can't use story elements to predict, or even explain, game mechanics.

Think of what Milk of the Poppy is and what it is used for: pain relief and anesthetizing people to the point where they are asleep. Completely. But all the attachment does is blank the text box of a card. It can still attack. Or defend. Or be used to pay for other abilities. Or for dominance. If it were "completely realistic" to the books, a character with Milk of the Poppy attached shouldn't be good for anything other than taking up space.

It's fun when things in the game coincide with story elements - like Syrio's Training giving characters a MIL icon, or Bran being able to take control of a character for a short amount of time (a 1.0 card) - but trying to find perfect correlation will be both impossible and ultimately disappointing.

That's true, and I enjoy it that Agot LCG is very thematic (at least on the cards that have been spoiled already) but i guess they do need to let go of theme from time to time to make room for a great game.

Also it might be good to know that you can actually use Milk of the Poppy on a character with No Attachments if you have some other effect that isn't an attachment to remove the No Attachments keyword first. I don't know the cards in LCG ed1 but in the CCG game you could for example use Tourney Magistrate to blank an army and then Milk them. Blanking the No Attachment keyword would allow you to play Milk of the Poppy on the army and then Milk of the Poppy would keep the No Attachment keyword blanked even after the Tourney Magistrates effect wore off.

You can blank it with Fortified Position, for instance.