Call of Cthulhu Mob/NPC's Conversions?

By Brother Malachai, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

Has anyone tried to convert the npc's, monsters, gods, etc. from Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu to Deathwatch and/or other 40K Roleplay stats? I was wondering how easy or hard it was to do since both games use a D100/D% system and a insanity mechanic.

LoL I tought you were doing that. :)

It seems easy at first but it's not as simple as carrying over the stats. For example I took a look at the STR (one of the more simple stats to conver, yes? STR to S) of some basic human sized mythos creatures: Deep ones/ hybrids, Mi-go and Tcho-Tcho people. (7th ed stats) most of them have STR in the 50's and low 60's with the deep ones weiging in at 70 STR.

Your average human(ish) thugs, combat-servitors, arbites are in the high 20's to high 30's, 40's for dangerous stuff. I think from the corebook (DH2) only the malatant and the toxer clock in round 50.

So I'd drop atleast 10 points of STR from a mythos creature.

And that's just one stat. But I think it can be done. I haven't really looked at it (just a quick glance at STR/S)

LoL I tought you were doing that. :)

It seems easy at first but it's not as simple as carrying over the stats. For example I took a look at the STR (one of the more simple stats to conver, yes? STR to S) of some basic human sized mythos creatures: Deep ones/ hybrids, Mi-go and Tcho-Tcho people. (7th ed stats) most of them have STR in the 50's and low 60's with the deep ones weiging in at 70 STR.

Your average human(ish) thugs, combat-servitors, arbites are in the high 20's to high 30's, 40's for dangerous stuff. I think from the corebook (DH2) only the malatant and the toxer clock in round 50.

So I'd drop atleast 10 points of STR from a mythos creature.

And that's just one stat. But I think it can be done. I haven't really looked at it (just a quick glance at STR/S)

Well, I was, but I wanted to see if anyone else did it first. And 7'th Edition is around the corner, so I'm waiting for an updated Malleus Monstorum. Ironcially, I heard both pc's and npc's/monsters/gods/etc. are getting stat boosts in the next edition. :-S Plus, well, the Mythos is supposed to be op. It's part of the whole "insignificance of mankind in a uncaring cosmos" theme that's so prevalent in the works of the writers of the Lovecraftian Circle (HPL, Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith...etc...). Besides, I wouldn't throw these guys at a team right off the bat. I'd use them in mid to late game. Surprise them w/ things along the lines of "O cr@p, the Mythos is real in our Campaign and some of them are still alive and sleeping on Holy Terra!" :-0 Still, how does one figure out xp rewards for fighting them anyway as Deathwatch and other games form 40K Roleplay seem to use a xp system extremely different from that of most other rpgs? :-/

On a slightly unrelated note, I've been thinking of adding the mechanic from "The End Of The World Line" where players get numbed (but not completely immune) to horror and terror over time. Still, how does one calculate that for a game where players can remove insanity points by spending xp and corruption w/ requistion? Have them keep a total of the number of times they suffer both on a seperate sheet and give them one point to shrug off the effects of fear and insanity for every x amount of insanity and corruption they're exposed to (even if both are partially and/or completely erased at some point)?

Edited by Brother Malachai

How about making sanity tests easier for "numbed out" characters?

like bonuses to the roll :

Example:

Gm: "you see Cthulhu! You loose 1D100 minus, how corrupted are you Bruce?"

Bruce: "Totaly! Euh...15 points. And i've rolled a 37 on the D100."

Gm: "Ok so your character, Old man Henderson, looses 37 minus 15...22 sanity points!"

or shifting the dice type back:

Example :

Gm "You see Aboth!"

Bruce: "And Costello?"

Gm: "Sigh, not funny Bruce. Aboth costs you 1D20 sanity points to behold it's horrid form."

Bruce: "But since Old man Henderson is so used to see gribbly monsters..."

Gm: "... it moves 3 ranks in dice so instead of a D20 you roll a... let's see, D12, D10,D8. You loose D8 San to see Aboth."

Bear in mind I've just made that up on the fly so you'll have to work out how much coruption/insanity gets you inured to how much SAN loss...

How about making sanity tests easier for "numbed out" characters?

like bonuses to the roll :

Example:

Gm: "you see Cthulhu! You loose 1D100 minus, how corrupted are you Bruce?"

Bruce: "Totaly! Euh...15 points. And i've rolled a 37 on the D100."

Gm: "Ok so your character, Old man Henderson, looses 37 minus 15...22 sanity points!"

or shifting the dice type back:

Example :

Gm "You see Aboth!"

Bruce: "And Costello?"

Gm: "Sigh, not funny Bruce. Aboth costs you 1D20 sanity points to behold it's horrid form."

Bruce: "But since Old man Henderson is so used to see gribbly monsters..."

Gm: "... it moves 3 ranks in dice so instead of a D20 you roll a... let's see, D12, D10,D8. You loose D8 San to see Aboth."

Bear in mind I've just made that up on the fly so you'll have to work out how much coruption/insanity gets you inured to how much SAN loss...

Well, the thing is, this is the "Loyalist"/Imperium side of 40K roleplay, so I don't want to necessarily "reward" corruption/insanity like you would in Black Crusade. That's why I was suggesting they'd keep a seperate tally for the total amount of insanity and corruption they've acquired in the past, even if they get rid of it later. Like I said, I'm trying to add a bit of "End of The World" here in the sense that constantly being thrown through the grinder tends to numb/jade (not to be confused w/ the trait) you a bit.

There's something else to wonder about: Faith in the Emperor. can it affect mythos creaturess or not?

There's something else to wonder about: Faith in the Emperor. can it affect mythos creaturess or not?

Well, my take is, does it count as a miracle/warp/psychic phenomena/spell/magic/etc? If it can make "miracles" happen, then I would say yes. But you'd have to have an insane amount of faith, knowledge about the Emporer and the Imperial Creed, and have the Emperor's Personal favor (IE: He communnicated to him psychically before from his throne via visions, etc...). Even then, as per the Mythos, event he mightiest of human spells would mildly irk the likes of Cthulhu, if they'd even notice at all. Nope, best way to beat them is an unsummon, somehow make the stars "wrong" etc...

That should work. So how do the mythos entities view the chaos gods and vice versa? Is Azathoth still top dog? Will we see some Slaanesh on Shub-niggurath action? What happened to R'lyeh during the pre-unification era of Terra? (When the oceans cried up) One of the horus hersey novel hints that part of the imperial palace overlaps with the Platau of Leng. I'm asuming the Mi-Go abandoned Pluto somewhere during the age of strife or before the great crusade.

Oooh idea! C'tan are lesser outer gods. That should just about fit powerwise right?

There's also this spore type great old one i think: Maybe a new god for the Orks?

Edited by Robin Graves

Just tought of something funny/stupid: If we take that phrase literally We got several races (Eldar, C'tan, Necrons, chaos, imperium with enough weapons) that can make the stars right/wrong by blowing them up/ pulling them in the webway/switching them off.

The word bearers poisoning teh sun of Calth during the heresy in order to complete their ritual plays it straight however.

That should work. So how do the mythos entities view the chaos gods and vice versa? Is Azathoth still top dog? Will we see some Slaanesh on Shub-niggurath action? What happened to R'lyeh during the pre-unification era of Terra? (When the oceans cried up) One of the horus hersey novel hints that part of the imperial palace overlaps with the Platau of Leng. I'm asuming the Mi-Go abandoned Pluto somewhere during the age of strife or before the great crusade.

Oooh idea! C'tan are lesser outer gods. That should just about fit powerwise right?

There's also this spore type great old one i think: Maybe a new god for the Orks?

Well, if I were to do a Campaign of this, I want to get the impression across that the gods of the Mythos are so alien and foreign (IE: most of them are from other Galaxies and dimensions), even the C'tan, Chaos Gods, Gork N' Mork, what's left of the Eldar Pantheon, etc. give them a wide berth. And, since they each want the Galaxy for themselves, even they want to see the Mythos Gods stay asleep. Who knows, maybe they are the big bads the Tyranids were fleeing from. X_x Only to run into them again. -_-' I know some ppl. (like this one French cartoonist, who's name I forget atm) like to have the Chaos Gods and Mythos be chummy, but I don't care for that idea. I prefer the Mythos to be the "bigger fish" that even the very gods of the 40K verse are nervous around, if not outright fear. Indeed, it could even lead to really messed up situations such as ol' Tzeentch "helping" out the Imperium (again), not for his usual sh_ts n' giggles and/or skullduggery, but because he doesn't want a Mythos entity to wake up and spoil his bazillion and one plans.

Just tought of something funny/stupid: If we take that phrase literally We got several races (Eldar, C'tan, Necrons, chaos, imperium with enough weapons) that can make the stars right/wrong by blowing them up/ pulling them in the webway/switching them off.

The word bearers poisoning teh sun of Calth during the heresy in order to complete their ritual plays it straight however.

That could be workarounds to literally making the stars "wrong" to prevent them from awaking and/or phasing back into the Materium. Indeed, that was what I had in mind. Using insane tech from the ancient times to literally move stars around and such. Probably either made by the Eldar or those extinct old farts (whose names I forget atm) the Eldar used to be chummy with. Either that or an insanely powerful psyker rite.

Are you planning on using the Cthulhu Mythos straight, or original cosmic horrors inspired by the Mythos? If the former, you'll need to come up with an explanation why the Imperium has done nothing about R'lyeh, despite Terra's oceans having (according to 40K lore) disappeared long before the 'current' date, leaving the Old Ones' tomb city exposed for all to see. An alien 'base' residing on the same planet as the Golden Throne isn't the sort of thing people are likely to ignore...

Are you planning on using the Cthulhu Mythos straight, or original cosmic horrors inspired by the Mythos? If the former, you'll need to come up with an explanation why the Imperium has done nothing about R'lyeh, despite Terra's oceans having (according to 40K lore) disappeared long before the 'current' date, leaving the Old Ones' tomb city exposed for all to see. An alien 'base' residing on the same planet as the Golden Throne isn't the sort of thing people are likely to ignore...

I was planning to do Mythos straight for the most part. I was thinking of doing a "ticking clock" scenario where they try to prevent R'yleh from rising. This in itself could actually destroy Terra and the Imperium, something Failbaddon has failed to do 13 times now. Plus, to me, that's part of the horror. The fact such infamous sites still exist on Terra and somehow avoided being destroyed despite humanity's best efforts (including the Emperor and the Inquisition!)to destroy them. Plus, aren't the "oceans" of Terra actually sludge now? Also, sites such as R'yleh violate the known rules of space and time. How do you destroy something that isn't wholly there? I mean, even in the original "Call of Cthulhu" the sailor from the climax somehow fell into a hole that literally appeared from nowhere! I could see a scenario where you have a superweapon have "perfect" aim on a place such as R'yleh and yet somehow only git a glancing hit or a miss because it's strange geometries, magic, and technology just flat-out violate our rules of physics or just simply follows another set of rules not native to our dimension. And what about other infamous places on Earth from the Mythos? Could the remains of the Yithians old colony and the Mountains of Madness still be buried under the underhives and factorums of Australia and Antartica, let alone what's left of the Pacific in the case of R'yleh? Are the Secret Order of Titan actually guarding and keeping watch over Tsothoggua and his ilk on Saturn? Did we purge the Mi-Go and their dark gods from Pluto/Yuggoth during the Great Crusade? If so, are they hiding elsewhere planning against us? They have awaited nearly 40 Millennia since the 20's and 30's. While they can wait longer, still, after all this time, could the stars finally be right?

Sorry but the oceans are all dried up.There are whole hives built on what was once the ocean floor. Maybe R'lyeh is stil there but the emperor has it classified as a protected archeological site/ dumped a tbillion tons of sand on it and has some of his custodians guard the site, while he himself used his psychick powers to stop Cthulhu's call from reaching the people's minds.*

*that all worked really well before they put him on the golden throne, now his mind is weakening...soon the Call of Cthulhu shall be heard on earth once more!

Mi-Go Tau Alliance would be cool.

In Cthulhutech the Mi-go created an entirely new race of humanoids in the span of a few years, brainwashed them into believeing they were a proud warrior race with thousands of years of history and a grudge against humans. then they let them loose in the solar systhem. When those guys later found out everything the knew was a lie they turned agaisnt the Mi-go

Sorry but the oceans are all dried up.There are whole hives built on what was once the ocean floor. Maybe R'lyeh is stil there but the emperor has it classified as a protected archeological site/ dumped a tbillion tons of sand on it and has some of his custodians guard the site, while he himself used his psychick powers to stop Cthulhu's call from reaching the people's minds.*

*that all worked really well before they put him on the golden throne, now his mind is weakening...soon the Call of Cthulhu shall be heard on earth once more!

That could work. I was thinking that if the Oceans were dried up of just dumping a bunch of hive debris on top of it.

Mi-Go Tau Alliance would be cool.

In Cthulhutech the Mi-go created an entirely new race of humanoids in the span of a few years, brainwashed them into believeing they were a proud warrior race with thousands of years of history and a grudge against humans. then they let them loose in the solar systhem. When those guys later found out everything the knew was a lie they turned agaisnt the Mi-go

The odd thing is, the Tau look alot like Greys and the Mi-Go were the ones who created the Greys as "flesh robots" to interract w/ Humanity in Delta Green. Not to mention the Grey-esque Lam and another entity that likes to pose as a Grey (I forget it's name atm) when draining POW from humans in "Malleus Monstorum."

Tau/mi-go connection! I like.

I wonder who would be an avatar of Nyarlathotep in this setting. Goge Vandire would be a nice one.

Not sure who Nyarly would be, but I just found out Clark Ashton Smith's "Vulthoom" lives on Mars. :-0

Bare in mind that it is not entirely unlikely that some of the mythos creatures were wiped out during the Great Crusade. Who's to say Cthulhu wasn't finally destroyed by the Emperor?

Bare in mind that it is not entirely unlikely that some of the mythos creatures were wiped out during the Great Crusade. Who's to say Cthulhu wasn't finally destroyed by the Emperor?

That would have been some battle!

I don't think you can kill Cthulhu because great old ones just reform their physical form from nearby matter... But maybe a mindwar that sent Cthulhu's essence into the realm of chaos... Ofcource he'd still be waiting plotting his revenge.

Or maybe he just up and left during the age of strife: R'lyeh rises, Cthulhu is unleashed, wrecks most of the world and then departs to conquer other worlds and realms in the universe. And back on earth the Emperor gioes: "This is gonna take a while to clean up.'

I'm pretty sure the flying polyps, Yithians (the cone shaped bodies), Mi-go, Deep ones, Men of Leng, Elder things and Shoggots,on earth as well as the Moon beasts got wiped out pre crusade era.

Then again some mysteries may still lay hidden in the far corners of Terra...

It's always going to be a question when you combine the Epic (in the true sense of the word) of wh40k with the cosmic horror of Lovecraft as to which parts of the Canon win out. In WH40K pretty much anything even true gods can die while in Lovecraft Cthulhu is pretty much an immutable force, the ultimate nemesis of the human race.

Personally I think the Emperor could have driven Cthulhu into space

space.

Also the mythos is exactly the kind of thing the Deathwatch is meant to be there to combat so I think it's am excellent idea to include it

Edited by Visitor Q

It's gonna be intresting when some admech explorator ship ends up at the center of the universe and finds Azatoth.

I'd like to see the Deathwatch take on a Color from space...

It's gonna be intresting when some admech explorator ship ends up at the center of the universe and finds Azatoth.

Although consider for a moment that for 90% of Alien Species The God Emperor is the equivalent of Azathoth and during the Great Crusade the Primarchs would have been the Great Old Ones.

Although consider for a moment that for 90% of Alien Species The God Emperor is the equivalent of Azathoth and during the Great Crusade the Primarchs would have been the Great Old Ones.

And yet, the scary part is that in both the Mythos and 40K that there are entities that can give the Emporer alot of trouble and can curb-stomp a Space Marine. There's a reason 40K is grimdark. Anyone can die horribly in combat and/or from warp phenomena (and in a age of nonstop war, probably will), even genetically-altered supermen in power armor. Ironically, the only guy I've seen live long enough to retire is one cowardly commissar w/ good publicity.

And yet, the scary part is that in both the Mythos and 40K that there are entities that can give the Emporer alot of trouble and can curb-stomp a Space Marine. There's a reason 40K is grimdark. Anyone can die horribly in combat and/or from warp phenomena (and in a age of nonstop war, probably will), even genetically-altered supermen in power armor. Ironically, the only guy I've seen live long enough to retire is one cowardly commissar w/ good publicity.

CAAAAAAAAAAAIN! :)

Also the Tau not getting with the program about the grimmdark. We have some paranoia about the Ethereals but that's it.