Firespray

By stackeffect, in X-Wing

When I decided to repaint a Firespray for the Scum, there was no shortage of interesting options from the card art alone. The most attractive was Kath Scarlet's red and white finish. But while Kath has a very striking paint job, I wanted something a bit more sinister and deadly looking.

I did some overlays in Photoshop until I felt like I had a color scheme and general layout that I liked. From there, I painted and edited my original scheme on the fly as I saw fit. I originally planned to add the Mandalorian skull symbol below the cockpit in white, but as I completed the first few coats on this repaint, I began to get attached to the simplicity of the design. It works well for both factions if I'm running dual Firesprays. I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I will add the skull in the center.

Some of the detailing is a bit loose, particularly on the back where I still hope to add engine flare and clean up some of the finer details, but this Firespray suits Emon and the Mandalorian Mercenary well.

kTJByvsl.jpg

PJh83Vvl.jpg

Edited by stackeffect

Nice! Big fan off the dark colors.

I think a nice red trim near the canopy would give it some flare, not that it needs it, just my opinion. I really love the sleek, stealthy black feel that it has!

I agree that giving it a contrasting colour around the canopy would really help to make the model stand out and be more impressive. Doesn't necessarily have to be red, but perhaps a lighter shade of grey than you have used.

Nah... Keep it black. And don't ruin it with red.

Ahhh I wish I could paint like that, I still can't figure out how everyone can get such crisp clean lines

You can paint like that.

I've only been painting since April(ish). Take your time. Thin your paint. Crisp lines (for me) usually require going back over some areas and cleaning up with the base color, but patience and thinned paint gives a greater level of control and prevents the paint from becoming too thick to allow proper cleanup.

Results will probably be better than you expect. Although I am still very much a beginner and have a lot to learn, when I finish a repaint, I still feel like my ship looks better than it did right out of the box.

Edited by stackeffect

If you want to keep simplicity and ad the skull, go for a dark red, maybe even a maroon. That would keep the simple look and also keep the sinister vibe.

Nice work, though. Black does this ship well.

That's awesome. Big fan of the simplicity.

-Cal

If you don't want to do extreme highlights on the black, you can try this to make it pop a little. Get a blue wash (or ink) and give it a couple of light coats, but don't overdo it, it'll smear the black and grey panels.

What this'll do is give a gloss look to your Firespray.

Once you've done this get a matte spray varnish, cover the cockpit with blue tack and, this is the most important part of the process (because it's where most people go wrong when using spray varnish), hold the can about 12 inches away from the model and keeping the nozzle pressed down move the varnish from one side of the model to the other in one sweeping move. If you want, you can repeat this, but do not hold the varnish in front of the model for any length of time, it will pool really quickly.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that there's no varnish being applied in your passes.

Cheers

Baaa

You know black paint jobs look cool but they make you alot easier to track by sensor.

If I could pick any Firespray I have seen one these fourms, this would be the one. Love the black, makes it look like an undercover police ship.