A few starship combat questions...

By TheHobo, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

Hey there, everybody!

I was just wondering if anybody could perhaps clarify a few rules that I found to be somewhat ambiguous...

1. Can a starship, for a default, no-test maneuver, do a full move, turn at half, and then complete its full move? I've seen some posts on here make it sound like this is not the case, but, considering that the wording of the rules doesn't mention "respectively" anywhere, I'm not certain. This also ties in directly to my next question...

2. Come to New Heading, is full speed mandatory? The wording heavily implies this is the case, but most other Actions that have a Speed requirement seem to state it outright. Furthermore, if this is the case, then it surely must mean that my first question is correct.

3. Do bonuses from ship roles effect torpedo accuracy? Do Range penalties and bonuses affect the roll to hit with torpedoes? BFK only explicitly mentions Extended Actions and Components as disallowed from providing bonuses to torpedo accuracy, but nothing about anything else and it seems like these are things that might not really effect their accuracy any more than a number of things that fall into Components...

5. Do Torpedoes only roll to hit things that pass within their port and starboard facings, or does this include their prow? Or even their aft? Do they only roll on their turn, or any Turn? What if their move ends exactly 1 VU away from a ship in front of them? Do they just charge forward on the spot, does the roll happen on that ships turn, or do they just have to wait until their next turn and hope it's still there?

6. Opposed Tests from fighters engaging torpedoes – do torpedoes roll at all and/or use Torpedo Rating? Is it even an Opposed Test?

7. Do Units from BFK cost Scale + Availability + Unit Designation + Tech Level + Gear Quality + Skill Level? Is this correct?

Thanks for reading all that! Please help! =X

Edited by TheHobo

1. Default - move half or move full, then turn at the end of the move.

2. Come to New Heading - move half, turn, use the remainder of your FULL SPEED, turn again

3. Depends on your interpretation - I don't allow bonuses that affect gunnery. Also, any component that requires an Extended Action to affect gunnery is disallowed per RAW.

4. ?

5. Seems pretty clear. "If, at any point during movement, a Salvo passes within 1 VU of another vessel (friend or foe...), then the character who launched..."

6. Yeah, this one is a problem, but it's just a small part of the brokeness that is small craft. If your players haven't figured out that small are broken as all get-out you're lucky, otherwise your game would be soooooo broke. There are already entire threads on this one. There are several fixes.

7. Yes. This is another problem. BFK was hastily written.