Squad Mode Chapter Abilities Clarifications

By pearldrum1, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Hey all,

It has been a little while since I have graced the Deathwatch threads. I have been spending most of my time around the Only War forums these days, but not to worry - my Deathwatch chops have been being kept up. Currently, I am running a Tactical Novamarine Tyrannic War Veteran. At PC creation, I took the Bolter Master y talent instead of Tactical Expertise.

My question:

Without Tactical Expertise, is it currently impossible for my Astartes to share is Chapter squad-mode ability with the members of his Kill Team (RAW) or is there a way to do it that I am missing. As it stands, the GM and I both have been allowing it to happen and I only caught that I might be doing this incorrectly accidentally.

If that is the case, what do I need to do to be able to share my Squad mode ability with my team?

Thanks

My understanding of RAW is that you could share with, or take advantage of,any Ultramarine (or their successor Chapter) chapter squad mode abilities. Any ultramarine (or successor chapter) PC could share your chapter squad mode maneuver.

Without tactical expertise, none of the other non-ultramarine PCs could share in your chapter squad mode stuff.

I am not aware of another way to share your chapter squad mode abilities without tactical expertise

Edited by Snerded

Interesting. We may have to make it a RPing/training based house rule.

In fact, there's something that allow you to share your chapter squad mode with your mates : Brotherhood of Blood (I think that's the english name), in Rites of Battle. You should check this out. The only "restrictions" are that all the team must take it in order to share squad modes, and it is the GM that allow the player to take : it's a sort of deed that represents the fact that the kill-team works like brothers of the same chapter.

Edited by Enmi

Do you have a page number for me just in case the name is different? I have been considering taking Forging the Bond.

Brothers of the Blood, p.92

Awesome, thank you.

So now that begs the question, what is the difference technically between "Brothers of Blood" and "Forging the Bond?" They seem slightly redundant if taken together (or at least not worth the XP). Can anyone clarify?

"Brothers of Blood" is truly in effect when ALL the team take it, and the GM must decide if the team can take it. If the kill-team have put aside their differences and act as if they were truly brothers (ie. no quarrel on decision, teamworking all the time, watching after each other), then the GM may allow the player to take it. It represents a group progression.

"Forging the Bond" is more like a single battle brother trying to get his team together, maybe to the point of unlocking "Brothers of Blood".

RP-wise, one can imagine a battle brother taking "Forging the Bond" first, willing to prove to his squad that if they can truly work together, nothing can stop them. This battle brother will tend to resolve quarrels within the group and satisfy everyone. Eventually, he'll get the team to truly work together. As a GM, it could be wise (IMO) to give him "Brothers of Blood" for free for his efforts, and make him the first choice for squad leader.

Currently, we have all taken Forging the Bond with our last XP allotment since we worked so well together. Since Forging the Bond is only useful if other members of the team have it. I will link my GM to this page and see what he thinks about eventually dropping Blood Brothers on us.

Be careful with Brothers of Blood ;) I tend to think this Deed is a really powerful one. My players combined "Into the Fires of Battles" with a lascannon devastator thanks to this ... bye bye sweet Obliterators :'(