Other 40K Factions coming?

By iLiveAGAIN, in Forbidden Stars

Twilight Imperium xpacs turn a long game into a entire weekend. Rule upon rules. These xpacs are exactly why the player base for this game is extremely small. Or more likly people only play it a few times.

Its quite the oppossite actually. The vanilla game is without questions the longest version you can play.

This is the Forbidden Stars forum so I don't want to get into too many specifics, but most of the X-packs have created more fluidity and routes to victory points shortening the game pretty dramatically. I agree its a niche game and has a small audiance, but that is not because of the expansion packs its because its a long epic game to begin with and traditionally in board games a game that takes more than a couple of hours to play automatically has a much smaller audiance. Forbidden Stars isn't going to be a mass market hit either for that very same reason.

The only advantage I see FS has over TI3 is the setting: WH40K is a much more beloved setting than TI3 will ever have. So, some will get the game regardless of the length because it's 40K.

The only advantage I see FS has over TI3 is the setting: WH40K is a much more beloved setting than TI3 will ever have. So, some will get the game regardless of the length because it's 40K.

I also find it to be more streamlined and easier to get new people into tbh. TI3 has the complexity over FS, but with my current player base that's not really a good thing anymore.

I don't agree : I find many TI3 parts feel "out of place", and I enjoy the more focused experience Starcraft, and its successof FS gave. I just wish FS had team rules too (but they are easy to adapt from Starcraft, so we will definitely give them a try soon).

I don't agree : I find many TI3 parts feel "out of place", and I enjoy the more focused experience Starcraft, and its successof FS gave. I just wish FS had team rules too (but they are easy to adapt from Starcraft, so we will definitely give them a try soon).

Sorry that I wasn't clear: I was only commenting on a previous post about FS and TI3 not being a mass market product (merely as number of targets paying to get the game). No other comparisons were made between the two games (would be unfair for many reasons, including an anagraphical one)

I'd love to see a big expansion with mix-and-match options like they did with TI.

But I'd think that some sort of multiplayer combat rules would go a long way to help keep game time down.

Purple = Dark Elder

Black = Necrons

Tan = Tau

White / Gray = Nids

Easy to have new units colours.

Yup, in the end they have 8 factions in the LCG, and they produce sleeves with those factions' art on the back, so, it's easy to speculate what could possibly be coming, in case they decide to expand the game

Edited by Julia

No I am saying that as someone myself who had a Blood angel Successor chapter and a Dark angel army I would rather play these than the Ultramarines and I don't feel like I need to master the Ultramarines in order to want to play a Dark Angel or Blood Angel force.

I used to play Wh40k a looong time ago, and of course there are minor differences between the chapters for Wh40k squad level combat. The differences become smaller and smaller as scale becomes grander though - and at the scale Forbidden Stars is at, where things are very abstracted already, the different Spice Mareeens chapters are really similar enough that a simple repaint and a good measure of ignoring chapter symbols can cover all the differences IMHO.

But then, I never really was an Imperium of Man kind of person.

But then, I never really was an Imperium of Man kind of person.

Chaos all the way. I was out by the time Necrons came on the scene... but they are all sorts of awesome as well, well they USED to be awesome before all the lore was retcon'd into space TombLords.