Inner Region Heresy

By Dungeon Crawler Jack, in Talisman Home Brews

I'm **** sick and tired of characters dying or losing out in the Inner Region - face it, after all the expansions, levelling up to 12+ on either has took long enough.

It's a hangover since the birth of 4th revised thats not been questioned. Maybe it should be.

There should be a test of fate, a test of objects, a test of followers and then play on. One square a turn.

Talisman is too good at killing you now, once you pass the Portal of Power it should have some lenience given all the OP cards in the expansions!

Definitely working on this

There's really only one space that will kill you once you are buffed and have a slew of sacrifices for the vampire in the tower, and that is Dice with Death.

You might be in the minority here. Or maybe I am. However according to my best knowledge people consider the Inner Region far too easy, and would love it to be much harder.

The Inner Region should also be a challenge. If it were s Region that everybody can pass with closed eyes, there would not be a reason for it to exist. If You think that the Inner Region is too hard, You should try to gain one or two points before trying to enter it. Plus, majority of players are trying to complete it using the Craft path, because of the reasons Jon above mentioned - only the Dice with Death can stop a prepared character. Neither other space do can. And since the Dice with Death space belongs to the Strength path, everybody use the Craft path to win the game.

You might be in the minority here. Or maybe I am. However according to my best knowledge people consider the Inner Region far too easy, and would love it to be much harder.

The Inner Region should also be a challenge. If it were s Region that everybody can pass with closed eyes, there would not be a reason for it to exist. If You think that the Inner Region is too hard, You should try to gain one or two points before trying to enter it. Plus, majority of players are trying to complete it using the Craft path, because of the reasons Jon above mentioned - only the Dice with Death can stop a prepared character. Neither other space do can. And since the Dice with Death space belongs to the Strength path, everybody use the Craft path to win the game.

Hate to disagree here, but the strength path is very easy.Sure you have to dice with Death, but if you beat Death and your strong enough, fighting the werewolf is nothing.After that, its essentially on to the crown of command. Craft Part os hard because unless your loaded up with follwoers or have a life excess, the vampire drains you noo matter what, then you have to fight the Efreets(sp?) and THEN you go on to the Crown of command.

Hate to disagree here, but the strength path is very easy.Sure you have to dice with Death, but if you beat Death and your strong enough, fighting the werewolf is nothing.After that, its essentially on to the crown of command. Craft Part os hard because unless your loaded up with follwoers or have a life excess, the vampire drains you noo matter what, then you have to fight the Efreets(sp?) and THEN you go on to the Crown of command.

We are always open for different opinion! :)

However, the Vampire Tower takes at max 3 life, and You don't need to spend X turns on this space. Characters usually have one or two junk Followers (the Guide, Sprite...) to discard, but foten they will lose 1 life at max. Also, if the result is too severe, You always may reroll the die once.

The Dice with Death isn't that easy, though. If You have luck, You might win during the first try. Otherwise, You will stay on this space for several turns possibly losing multiple Fate points to reroll the die. Not to mention that if the dce are in favour of the Death, You also might lose quite a lot of life too.

This is why people don't want to use the Strength path. While not always, often the winner is the first character to reach the CoC. If You're one step ahead of the pursuing You character, You will win. Otherwise, the other character will win. This is why a single lost turn can decide whether You will win the game, or lose it.

About the Fiends. They have just Strength 4, and You also can reroll the die to determine how many of them will attack You. Remember that You fight them separately, so usually Strength 6 or 7 is enough to pass this space.

strength and fate path is fairly balanced is basegame because while death is harder than the vampire (vampire averages 2 life but can be mitigated, death averages 1 life but can be much more AND takes a turn each time you try) werewolf is easier than fiends early in the game ; a strength character does not need a single point of craft to pass, whereas craft characters need combat value of 6-8 to safely pass through the fiend.

However, if you have 10+ in both values id always choose craft route (if i have at least 3 lives+followers) because its more predictable. On average strength is as easy or easier than craft, but betting 1-4 hours of characterbuilding on your luck being average seems much too risky.

If you are talking about the crown of command final test/boss i tend to agree i like running in with the dwarf at 6 craft and 3 strength+ a sword and stealing the game in 20 mins. Oonce you have 9 craft/strength its just another 20-30 mins max to get to 14 but i really prefer my games to end soon as possible so we can get to play several different characters in 1 evening

Edited by Rawsugar