Sell me on tide of Iron

By HonorforONEFilms, in Tide of Iron

Though I usually tend to like mediviel stuff much more I'm iterested in tide of Iron. So sell me on it. Why do you'll like it and what is it about?

Did you like to play with plastic soldiers when you were little?

Do like to watch epic battles in WW2 films and would like toc reate your won little "movie-like" action sequences?

Do you like FFG games and appreciate their playability and the quality of "the Bits"?

If so run out and buy TOI.

Even though you have an affinity for medieval, I assume you like other genres as well - Western? Pirates? Sci-Fi? Superhero? If you like WW2, there's no better game than TOI, as far as I'm concerned. It avoids the tedium of games like ASL or Panzer Leader, etc. Yet there is tactical depth and strategy. There's dice rolling, but rarely feels like a game "left to chance" (the frustrated feeling I always had playing Axis & Allies).

(I have to say I hope FFG continues to produce an array of expansions. The EF is frequently mentioned. I hope an expansion for the South Pacific's in the plan too.)

Again - IF you like WW2 - TOI is worth the $.

You can play with little Panzers.......nothing more to say

Belloq said:

( I hope an expansion for the South Pacific's in the plan too.)

when TOI first came out they said their were plans for the pacific theater happy.gif

TeufelHund said:

Did you like to play with plastic soldiers when you were little?

I spent hours and hours setting up green and tan army men battles using literally hundreds of units. Then I took a few minutes and with spit shower sound effects knocked down every one.(haven't we all)

TeufelHund said:

Do like to watch epic battles in WW2 films and would like toc reate your won little "movie-like" action sequences?

Out in the woods with 50 cent walky talkies, a few buddies, and some sticks for guns.

TeufelHund said:

Do you like FFG games and appreciate their playability and the quality of "the Bits"?

I've only played Battlore which isn't really a FFG game,

Two best ways to decide is to see a game played or play a game at a local game store or with a friend who has a copy, and to read the rules online here on the FFG website.

This is not a complex game but it is an involved one, from set up and creating your squads by putting little miniatures into bases (the one feature that's akin to Battlelore) to creating the board to actual play. If I'm going to play, I set aside two or three hours; it's not a game to get into quickly, play quickly, and put away easily. Lots of bits to fiddle with. But it's always worth it, and the contests can be nailbiting. There are lots of tactical choices obviously, suspenseful die rolling, and all the scenarios I've played have been excellently balanced, with victory often being unsure until the very last turn. Can't ask more than that from a game. And the clever use of cards and command points ensures that each scenario is diffferent each time you play it, so it has excellent replayability.

I would agree with the previous posters that this is one of the best WWII tactical games on the market. If you like that theme at all, then I think you will find this game very rewarding, especially with the expansions coming up.

"Then I took a few minutes and with spit shower sound effects knocked down every one.(haven't we all)"

Oh yes, true true...i remember it now...i need to play ToI this weekend gran_risa.gif

David Spangler said:

Two best ways to decide is to see a game played or play a game at a local game store or with a friend who has a copy, and to read the rules online here on the FFG website.

This is not a complex game but it is an involved one, from set up and creating your squads by putting little miniatures into bases (the one feature that's akin to Battlelore) to creating the board to actual play. If I'm going to play, I set aside two or three hours; it's not a game to get into quickly, play quickly, and put away easily. Lots of bits to fiddle with. But it's always worth it, and the contests can be nailbiting. There are lots of tactical choices obviously, suspenseful die rolling, and all the scenarios I've played have been excellently balanced, with victory often being unsure until the very last turn. Can't ask more than that from a game. And the clever use of cards and command points ensures that each scenario is diffferent each time you play it, so it has excellent replayability.

I would agree with the previous posters that this is one of the best WWII tactical games on the market. If you like that theme at all, then I think you will find this game very rewarding, especially with the expansions coming up.

I"ll second the above comments and add that the components for this game are outstanding as well. That and we're even starting to see some additional tanks & equipment being introduced with the expansions too.

IMHO, TOI is an extremely fun game to play.