Tutorial Video

By Robin Graves, in General Discussion

The Tutorial Video is up...

and contains a season 5 spoiler! :D

I wasn't much into aGoT but having watched the tutorial I think I will give it a chance.

What are the chances of getting aditional houses in expansions? Because having house Martell is all nice and good but i want to play house Bolton.

Unlikely. They already added two with this edition over what was in first edition.

That isnt to say that House Bolton wont make an appearance, they re just likely to have a mechanical/trait based identiy, and be neutral, lannister, or stark (or both stark/lanni). In the LCG, they were efficient stark characters that switched sides if you lost the challenge they were best at - it was actually a very fun deck to play.

And in the CCG, Bolton was dual faction, Stark/Lanni (and Tyrell was Lanni/Bara).

I doubt we'll see any additional factions in 2E AGOT. With the newer LCGs, it seems like the additional factions have been announced quite early on in the discussion of the game's respective Core Set. It was never a surprised that Smugglers & Spies and Scum & Villainy were being added to Star Wars, and in fact each faction got a single objective set in the Core, before they got their proper box. Warhammer 40k Conquest has always known Tyranids (box coming soon) and Necrons (box TBA) were being planned for later in the game's life.If more factions were planned for 2E, I suspect that we'd know by now.

Good point alpha5099. But Netrunner recently anounced new runners that don't belong to the standard factions.

adn29-runner-fan.png

So I still have hope.

Good point alpha5099. But Netrunner recently anounced new runners that don't belong to the standard factions.

adn29-runner-fan.png

So I still have hope.

True, though those mini-factions are unlikely to receive much card support outside of that box. But yes, Netrunner's mini-factions certainly leave the door open for something similar in 2E: Bolton, Arryn, maybe the Brotherhood or Wildlings.

Are we talking about the bit when the narrator explains how characters who die go into the dead pile? :lol:

Anyone else noticed how Benjen (16:42 in the tutorial) is totally coming back if he gets "killed". Possible Spoiler for the books? So everbody thinks he got killed, but he isn't (in the) dead (pile) and later in the game (of thrones saga) he comes back.

Are we talking about the bit when the narrator explains how characters who die go into the dead pile? :lol:

Yup! ;)

Anyone else noticed how Benjen (16:42 in the tutorial) is totally coming back if he gets "killed". Possible Spoiler for the books? So everbody thinks he got killed, but he isn't (in the) dead (pile) and later in the game (of thrones saga) he comes back.

Spoiler seems a bit much, unless you consider an educated guess about future storylines a spoiler. As far as I know, no one at FFG is operating with any special knowledge of the future of the series.

Benjen had a somewhat similar effect in the 1E core ("After Benjen Stark is killed, all players must shuffle their dead piles back into their decks") and both cards seem to me to simply reflect the fact that none of us have any idea what's happened to Benjen or if he's dead. Providing a way for Benjen to come back into the game later (and one that doesn't potentially benefit your opponent so much, like the 1E effect) seems like a strong and very flavorful effect.

Benjen had a somewhat similar effect in the 1E core ("After Benjen Stark is killed, all players must shuffle their dead piles back into their decks") and both cards seem to me to simply reflect the fact that none of us have any idea what's happened to Benjen or if he's dead. Providing a way for Benjen to come back into the game later (and one that doesn't potentially benefit your opponent so much, like the 1E effect) seems like a strong and very flavorful effect.

Note that in 1st Ed, Benjen himself wasn't shuffled into the deck because of the moribund rule. Other 1st Ed characters have closer effects (High Septon, for instance).

Book 5. Shame on you! :P

Note that in 1st Ed, Benjen himself wasn't shuffled into the deck because of the moribund rule. Other 1st Ed characters have closer effects (High Septon, for instance).

Oh right. Haven't played Benjen since I first got the core set, forgot that's how he worked. (Though I wonder if that's not how he was -intended- to work, given that his effect would make much more sense from a Nedly perspective).

Book 5. Shame on you! :P

There are books now?

Ok Ok just kidding! :D

But i was led to believe the character's death is more profound in the tv series.

I wouldn't say it's more profound, per se. More like, less motivated (Jon's intent to mobilize the Watch against Ramsay is what finally turns his men against him in ADWD), and more certain as the relevant chapter is told from Jon's perspective, and the last time a character appeared to die in his own chapter he showed up again two books later (Theon).

Personally, I like his death being left ambiguous, as the way Martin writes, it could really go either way for Jon. But I didn't come here to be a book snob; my comment was leveled more in jest, and in reference to the fact that the card game is more directly based on the books than the show. :)

Edited by MarthWMaster

Yeah i figured it was in jest. So don't worry about that. The only reason i said season over book was because while the books are all out (and translated) over here (Belgium) we haven't gotten season 5 on TV/DVD yet, so mr. snow getting himself killed is still something of a spoiler around here. Only reason i know is my dad reads the books and a couple of friends from the states couldn't keep their mouths shut about season 5 :D

The books and tv series seems to be gradualy become more different from one another.

I find myself wondering what it might have been like had the HBO version of the story diverged from the outset? I don't know whether he says this in the show, but in the books Petyr reveals to Sansa that he sometimes does things completely at random, in order to keep his opponents from guessing what he's up to. That being the case, what if he had decided to go about things a different way, and not instigated enmity between the Starks and the Lannisters? What if Jon Arryn had not been murdered, and had remained a central figure during the first season? Changing these things would obviously have been a controversial move on the part of the writers, but would have justified their freedom to make further choices later on, and also would have avoided clashing with the release dates of the remaining books. Finally, it would have kept those pesky book-snobs from spoiling things for their show-watching friends.

Edited by MarthWMaster

The internet is dark and full of spoilers.

I should hope that comment wasn't leveled at me, considering the preceding conversation in this thread... :P

I should hope that comment wasn't leveled at me, considering the preceding conversation in this thread... :P

No, don't worry. I meant the tutorial video spoiler :P

I'm blessed by the Lord of Light (translation: I read the books) and shall have no fear (exept when the show diverges and I [stupidly] go on twitter before I get to watch it *shudder*),

Yeah, I had a WTF moment when Varys turned up in Meereen to talk to Tyrion. "B-but..." thought I, "how will Varys now wield a crossbow in King's Landing?"

It surely will be somewhat weird reading about Myrcella and Shireen in Winds of Winter... :mellow:

Yeah, I had a WTF moment when Varys turned up in Meereen to talk to Tyrion. "B-but..." thought I, "how will Varys now wield a crossbow in King's Landing?"

No problem. He will simply borrow Littlefinger's teleporter.