3 by 6 play area and set up

By Grimwaldo, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

So looking at the base rules it states that the set up will expand from a 3 by 3 to a 3 by 6 this would make certain objectives and set up of obsticals really spread out. Objectives such as mine fields would be laughable as there is no way one could create a decent screen of mines. So do you consider each 3 by 3 space as its own set up area and set up 5 obsticals in on one side and 5 in the other? For minefields should the person setting up get to place 10 mines? For objective based missions such as intel sweep or fire lanes do there need to be more objective counters if so how many?

I might be missing something in the rule book that covers all this however I have not come across it. Please fill me in and let me know!

As was mentioned in the main forum, the game is meant to be played on the 3x6 table, so it's the 3x3 setup that needs fixing if anything needs adjusting.

You really need to forget the three by three, that was strictly for intro games. Three by six IS the standard, and yes only one set of obstacles (and mines) for the whole map. Try it out, you can actually cover quite a bit.

One thing you have to remember: you do not need to be ON the mine for it to explode; it triggers if a ship ends within distance 1.

Each obstacle is placed first and must be distance 5 from another obstacle. Each mine is then placed at distance 1 from an obstacle and beyond distance 1 from another mine. If you put obstacle - mine - mine -obstacle, that could make a very narrow gap that most players might not want to risk fitting his ships through. If he DID want to go through the gap, then you will know exactly where he will be and can set up a beautiful ambush.

It gets worse with large ships. They in theory could hit 4 mines in 2 turns