Warhammer: Age of Sigmar & Diskwars

By High Elves 77, in Warhammer: Diskwars

I don't know if everybody has seen the previews for Warhammer: Age of Sigmar (i.e.-9th ed.). This is a completely different Warhammer world folks. So my question is: how does this affect Diskwars? Will GW force FFG to "re-create" Diskwars to represent the new (and in my opinion, lame) Warhammer World, or will they give FFG the freedom to continue making Diskwars that line up with the Old Wahammer World (the one that I love)? Or will they simply just discontinue Diskwars? Thoughts? Opinions?

Well my (foolish?) hope is that Warhammer Diskwars was on hold because of this new change and expansions will eventually resume.

I think that it is not going to receive any more support based on the direction GW has taken with Age of Sigmar.

I hope that they will stick with the old fluff and continue to produce based on that. The new stuff is extremely lackluster in my opinion--it feels like jumping the shark, or hitting the "alternate-timeline" reset button ala new Star Trek. Additionally, the current army design and split between order and destruction doesn't match the new fluff very well and would have to be reworked or given a whole new army-building ruleset.

Frankly, the 9th edition stuff is not very well done, and leaves you wondering if GW will even continue to support Warhammer Fantasy at all since they have officially killed the universe as of now. This has been discussed in detail elsewhere on these forums, but I can't resist complaining again. Anything that lumps High Elves and Dark Elves into one faction and declares that Malekith is actually the Phoenix King but is just sad and misunderstood gets my blood boiling.

That said, if it was the only way I could possibly get a new expansion, I would take it, bad writing and convoluted plot notwithstanding.

I hope Warhammer Diskwars will continue to receive some kind of support. Not much, at least to flesh out the four remaining armies (and for the sake of completeness give each of the four core armies a terrain element wiht a dedicated special rule, like the Dwarf Forge or the Garden of Morr).

I hope the reason we haven't seen any new content for Warhammer: Diskwars in one year is to be ascribed solely to FFG sales evaluations and release policies. If, based on the lack of appeal of competive play, FFG decided to slow down the release of new Warhammer: Diskwars in order to dedicate themselves to products they find more profitable I can say I'm fine with that. I'm not happy, of course, but I can at least understand the reason why.

I hope (though I find it really unlikely) that, if Warhammer: Diskwars will not be discontinued, FFG won't include any of the Age of Sigmar stuff. Pseudo-Space Marines with big hammers? Not in my Warhammer, thanks.

I fear, though, that FFG will discontinue the Warhammer: Diskwars line because it won't be related to the "official" Warhammer anymore. If that would be the case, I will be really sad. I don't know the details of the license agreement between FFG and GW, but to me it seems really dumb if FFG accepted a license through which they would be able to make a Warhammer-based game knowing they had a time limit after which they had to discontinue the line because of the new Warhammer. Still, GW is known for its monopolistic view and its... "unfriendly" behavior against any potential competitor, so I will not be surprised if that's the reason we won't be having any more Warhammer: Diskwars products (which is, by the way, an event that may happen as likely as it won't: we sitll have no proof either for or against it).

Considering what is happening on the video game front. Vermintide and Total War Warhammer both set in the Warhammer Fantasy world we know. I don't see Age of Sigmar as blocking new Diskwars content. It might or might not be a good move by GW to get fresh blood into the beast that was Warhammer Fantasy but it will probably not, if ever, affect Diskwars until the new material has settled.

I love Warhammer Diskwars, but I get the feeling it didn't survive in the Shadow of X-wing/Armada. But I would welcome any new content for this game. It has been a gift to the surpessed wargamer in me. :)

Considering what is happening on the video game front. Vermintide and Total War Warhammer both set in the Warhammer Fantasy world we know. I don't see Age of Sigmar as blocking new Diskwars content. It might or might not be a good move by GW to get fresh blood into the beast that was Warhammer Fantasy but it will probably not, if ever, affect Diskwars until the new material has settled.

I love Warhammer Diskwars, but I get the feeling it didn't survive in the Shadow of X-wing/Armada. But I would welcome any new content for this game. It has been a gift to the surpessed wargamer in me. :)

It's hard for any game in any universe to surrive the onslaught of Star Wars. It's popularity outweighs anything GW could come up with (except maybe 40K but I don't even think it can rival it).

Quick update: Read some reviews of AoS. All but one was bad (mostly due to bad/oversimplified or unbalanced rules). Maybe there is some hope that FFG will continue to make Diskwars in the Old Warhammer World.

Whether Age of Sigmar turns out to be good or bad does not matter I think. I think the license that FFG is working with covers what we soon will name Old/Classic/Legacy Warhammer Fantasy or something. Just like we see in the computer game department, I don't think GW will allow others into the Age of Sigmar setting until it is more developed. It is a tool to draw new people into the miniatures hobby, people that have maybe never dabbled with models and painting before. They might actually succeed with that. Even I am somewhat tempted by this fresh start, allthough I know I won't have the time nor the skills to do it proper justice. I am a boardgamer and playing the game is my primary interest. So it's still Diskwars for me. :)

Quick update: Read some reviews of AoS. All but one was bad (mostly due to bad/oversimplified or unbalanced rules). Maybe there is some hope that FFG will continue to make Diskwars in the Old Warhammer World.

I think every single time GW releases a new edition or rulebook there are complaints regarding the rules and the balance. That is one reason I play diskwars and not the GW original.

Well, that and the price.

Well, that and the price and the power creep.

Well, that and the price, the power creep, and the GW tendency to treat everyone like dirt.

I truly, from the buttom of my very heart, agree and support everything that Jedhead and Sniper Troll said until this point in this thread. There is nothing to add, reduce or change.

Edited by Katsuyori

Am I the only one who isn't at all upset by AoS? WHFB was bloated, and too hard to get into. I love the setting, but we have no community for it here, and I live in an area with no less than 5 gaming stores all within a half hour drive.

Personally, that's why I got so into diskwars. It was way easier to play, cheaper, and more balanced. Not to mention, I didn't need my opponent to have his own army, I have enough stuff to play with anyone who has a passing interest.

Anyway, GW didn't kill the Old World entirely. It's still a part of the lore, it's just history in terms of the mini's game. Total War: Warhammer, and Vermintide prove that. I'm sure that GW already knew they were switching to AoS when the licenses for those games were sold. If Diskwars dies, it will be profit related, not IP related.

At any rate, this is a board game, not an LCG, and though I'm disappointed at the length of time between updates, FFG is still updating Elder Sign and Blood Bowl Team Manger, but there are years between updates for those games, so I hold out hope they will continue to update this, it just may be a while. As others have said, FFG's money is currently better spent on their Star Wars license. Nothing we can do about that.