Role Playing Challenges

By David Spangler, in Aye, Dark Overlord!

This looks like a fun and clever game, and I would enjoy playing it. It's been my experience, though, that games like this require a certain kind of person to come off, someone who's happy really role playing and getting into the spirit of it. The problem I've had in the past with games like this is that I end up with a group that is more interested in gaming the experience than in role playing it. That is, what do we have to do to win rather than how can we have fun with the characters and the storytelling. Good storytelling is an art, and I've not found that many people who do it well in spontaneous situations. It can cause a game like this to fall flat.

What have others experienced?

Still, I have some friends who are actors who might really enjoy getting into this.

....As long as I can be the Overlord! demonio.gif

Seeing as I am apparently the only one with gaming experience, I'll give you a quick rundown.

The Overlord makes the game. You don't win by game mechanics - it is solely at the Overlord's mercy who wins and who loses. The Overlord is encouraged to be unfair, too - you can get Withering Looks even by only annoying the Overlord - or just because he can.

From what i learned from our first game round - as players you need people with roleplay experience and genes. That is a must. As the Overlord you need somebody terribly annoyed, angry and harsh - and unfair! Because otherwise the game loses its point and will carry on for too long (as it did in our case).

Doesn't sound like that much fun....I see where the game could go flat easily and quickly.

I tend to end up in the role of Storyteller with Werewolves and Villagers, so I'm thinking that we may want to try this one out, just to see where it ends up.

Just played it yesterday and it is much fun....of course you will need the right people cause it will not satisfy all the powergamers and rule-advocats gui%C3%B1o.gif

it is the perfect game after playing descent. explain to the overlord why he lost the last game....of course after drinking some beer while playing descent

David Spangler said:

Doesn't sound like that much fun....I see where the game could go flat easily and quickly.

For players who prefer a little more strategy, I highly recommend the "Aye Dark Master" variant that will be included in the FFG version of the game:

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=69&esem=4

PS: I really enjoy this game, especially Aye Dark Master.

Interesting ideas, I'd be curious to see that in action... gui%C3%B1o.gif

That variant would randomize things more...and may detract the group from roleplaying (heart & soul of game) no?

Nurgle said:

it is the perfect game after playing descent. explain to the overlord why he lost the last game....of course after drinking some beer while playing descent

What a great idea aplauso.gif

After a shameful defeat, the Overlord can now take it out on his incompetent minions partido_risa.gif

I got the original european version (italian) of the game in german. But the gameplay is the same.

This game is really much much fun! But it depends on the people you are playing it with. If you have a nice round of people that like to tell stories, it's perfect.

It quite helps the game to have some beers to release the mood ;-)

The first second we started our first game the minions were trying to explain their situation and mistakes and make excuses. I think we all know how this works. And this is why it makes so much fun.

The overlord has the absolut power but there's no problem with it. This game is not about winning. It's about having a nice time. I never had a problem with the overlord beeing to strict because the game regulates itself. The minions cannot win. They made everything wrong and every single excuse is ridiculous. The overlord player knows it and gives them the opportunity to defend nevertheless.

I will post some other comments if you like.

Have fun!

It's a hilarious game to play but the onus is very much on the Overlords part to make it such and the trick is not to let it take too long. You're a Dark Demented Overlord. You're not meant to have patience. demonio.gif

the game is very easy to play easy to get into and amazingly fun, i dont really thing you need gamers even to play, i have a friend who got the game and played with her parents(her father has issues with rpg's being too out there), her whole family loved it. my parents are traditional game people( bridge, whist, scrabble, balderdash, trivial pursuit) and they would love the game(well my dad would not do well with the mean spirited elements but otherwise they would piss themselves)

simple explanation you wont know who will like it and who wont until you try it with them