Balance problem?

By matan500, in BattleLore: Command

Am i the only person who thinks that after the dlc release the balance between the faction was damaged?

the grotesques are weaker (than the grotesques in the board game) and the ironbounds are stronger.

and i'm not sure that the doombringer vs the mages can fix it...

I agree that the Grotesques are grossly underpowered. However, my biggest balance issue is with the Yeoman Archers. In my opinion, ranged attacks are balanced because you can't be countered but you're half as likely to hit. This buff to the archers makes it so there is NO drawback to attacking with a ranged unit. It's upsetting. At the very least, they should have given Viper Legion a 33% chance to hit if they don't move just like the Yeoman Archers.

But your concerns are with the new units.

I think the Grotesque is just awful. In the board game, they have this sweet ability that allows them attack twice in a turn, like a toned-down Pursue ability. That's fantastic! But the app gives them choice of ranged OR melee. But you can't stay in one place and attack melee. That means these guys can't hold positions very well at all since their chance to hit plummets from 33% down to 17%. But what REALLY gets me is that their "ranged attack" still loses an attack pip when attacking units with Flying. I don't know if this is a mistake or what, but it is certainly annoying.

The Doombringer is nice, overall, but again, I feel it is sub-par. Unlike in the board game, its Immobilize ability only activates on Doombringers that you have ordered. That cuts down on their utility. But at least Devour works just fine as well as their burrowing ability.

Now contrast those with the Daqan Lords' new units. The Greyhaven Battlemage certainly seems stronger. While it only shields units on a combat roll in the board game, in the app, they can shield a ton of units just by moving next to them. It's way more consistent for activating than in the board game. Plus, the shield effect is even stronger. In the board game it only lasts one attack but in the app it lasts the whole round! Because Lore cards work differently in the app, I think Catalyst's change from drawing 1 Lore card and 1 lore to just gaining 2 Lore is a huge boon. So unlike the Uthuk units that got weaker, this one certainly seems stronger to me.

What about the final unit? The ability to order an Ironbound unit any time a unit is ordered in its same section is crazy good! You don't even have to sacrifice one of your orders from the command card! Thankfully, it's not all fields of flowers for these units. They did lose the Armor 1 ability. Can you imagine combining that with the Greyhaven Battlemages' Rune Shield? I'm glad they took that ability away. It has also lost the ability to move an extra hex if you spend a lore. Overall, I think this one was decently balanced between what it gained in the app vs. what it lost.

Overall, I agree that the power definitely lies in favor of the Daqan Lords at the moment. I'm excited to see if we'll get Blood Sisters and Berserkers and if they'll give the Uhtuk the extra strength they need.

I think there was already a problem of balance between units and factions also before the new expansion came out. Granted, the game is fun. But it would be so much fun if it were more balanced!

Well, it's been a year and I've dusted this game off, so to speak. How's the balance now? Still as awful as ever. After 3 games playing as the Uthuk, I think I'm ready to put it away again. It just sucks so bad that the Uthuk are soooo much weaker than the Daqan in this game. All the critiques I made above still apply completely. I think FFG has completely dropped this game, which is too bad because had so much potential! I can't tell you how excited I was to play it. But it totally flopped. And unfortunately, I suspect the game cannibalized would-be board game sales. I hope if the app dies, at least the board game can continue on in the ashes. If both stop, I'll be super sad.