New Hastur question from a NOOB.

By Diacide, in CoC Rules Discussion

Hey all, I am fairly new to the game and have only been able to try some casual games as there is not a community where I live. I was looking at the upcoming Hastur box and am uber stoked, but I noticed something on the new Hastur that I haven't seen before. Hastur has a terror icon where the rest of his abilities are listed. My question is, what does this do? Because it looks similar to the support cards that attach to stories, this led me to think that he adds a terror struggle whenever he commits to a story. Am I right about this? Please explain. Thanks.

Hi Diacide - let me be among the first to welcome you to this fantastic game; I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I have over the years. Glad you're excited for the new Hastur set - FFG have saved the best for last :)

To answer your question, if a struggle icon such as the squiggly thing for terror, the magnifying glass for investigation, the skull for combat or the scroll for arcane appears in the card's text box, it means that it triggers an extra struggle of that type. So in Hastur's case, you get to have an extra terror struggle at the story to which he is committed (oh joy!) in the story phase - which given some of the new cards in that box is a beautiful thing.

Hope that helps.

That is precisely the answer I needed! I thought it might be so, but wanted to clarify. Thank you.

It's called an 'Icon Booster', and it's explained on page 6 of the rulebook.