Object AP/HP

By pearldrum1, in Only War House Rules

I had some players want/need to destroy some objects in a game I am running and in order to make that happen, I had to come up with some on the spot armor and health values for the items.

Along with posting them and getting your opinions on if I did all right or biffed it, I figure we could have this thread be the place to post your own objects and health/armor values.

In my game the PCs needed to shoot out some tires on some Ork buggies and then blow up an automated heavy bolter with a missile launcher.

I initially gave standard tires 5 AP/5 HP, but later changed it to 3 AP/5 HP. It also came with this house rule:

Attacking Vehicle Tires : Attacking a vehicle's tires (provided the vehicle has tires to target) will require a called shot. Standard tires have AP 3 with 5 HPs. This may be subject to change depending on the type of tire a vehicle has. Destroying a tire will cause the operator of a vehicle to suffer -10 to operate tests/tire as well as reduce the movement of the vehicle by 25%/tire destroyed (assuming the vehicle has four tires total). Furthermore, if in motion when the tire is destroyed, the operator will have to make an immediate -10 operate test or go out of control on the following round.

Heavy Bolter: 11 AP/10 HPs.

I settled on 11 AP for the heavy bolter since the book lists flakboard as 8 AP and cogitator banks/standard barricades at 12 AP.

The rules I would go with in this scenario is that the player would need to Called Shot - Motive on the vehicle. For Wheeled vehicles, use rear armor for motive systems - for Tracked use Side. Depending on the exact nature of the motive systems it may be appropriate to adjust this value further. It is sensible for many vehicles in the grimdark future to utilize solid rubber tires rather than more vulnerable air-filled tires. There would be a bonus to-hit based on vehicle size. The effects for landing the shot sound appropriate as you have described.

Those heavy bolter stats sound reasonable.

To avoid excessive complication for destroyable objects, I would recommend using 'stages' such as damaged, broken, destroyed rather than exact HP values. Craftsmanship/Quality should also be a factor that may add an additional stage or additional AP.

Objects can just have AP values, which are eroded the more damage they take - this is how walls and general cover is handled, so it makes it easy to extend to objects as well.

Of course I didn't think of the most common sense solution.

Thanks, CP.

Good suggestions here, also if AP is exceeded you can simply roll on the vehicle "weapon" critical table to see if it's destroyed or just damaged (obviously ignoring external damage that does not apply). Either use excess damage or simply roll a d10.

I like the rear armor for tires/side for tracks house rule, I think I will use that myself. Last time I just allowed the heavy gunner to get fury on the front wheels despite not being able to penetrate front armor of an ork trukk with a heavy stubber. Although with Ramshackle that meant that the engine died instead, and could have been even more destructive.