Hello UFS community, let's talk.

By VikramS, in UFS General Discussion

Hello guys and gals,

It's been a long time since I posted (let alone played) anything, so first - Hi! Yes, I kinda quietly disappeared from the game for a while, and there were multiple reasons why. For one, I have been very busy with school, work, play, and travel for the last 9 months, and that kept me away from all manner of hobbies and things. Second, I was a little burnt out on OOFS, and the state of the game at the start of this year was not very enticing. Third, my local UFS meta was problematic at best. You all know what I'm talking about, but let me discuss this more from my angle.

Chris Kovaz, aka scubadude, was my teammate and primary local tester, among other things. However, he was also not the most, er, adjusted individual. He was socially awkward at best, seriously aggravating at worst. I got him into the game, got him into tournament shape and defended his many detractors for a long time - until I myself couldn't bear it. I do feel partially responsible for introducing this chaotic element into an already unstable UFS mix, and for that and the harm it caused our local and overall community I sincerely apologize. I do NOT, though, share Mr. Kovaz' disposition, personality attributes or aggressive posturing (as many of you hopefully already know, or recall). For that, he can comment on if he ever wishes. Otherwise, good wishes and good riddance.

So, that's that. And I've missed you guys, really! I've missed conversations with the regulars, even if I don't always agree. I've missed talking to the "pros" and good friends like James, Omar, UFS House. I wish I had gone to Worlds even this year, just to hang. I missed the quirky personalities and hilarious comments of Team Tapout, the ATL and NYC crews. I miss the stifling competition that Michigan always provides. I miss the fun times in Wisconsin, in one of my best trips ever. I really really miss the atmosphere of a big tournament. Most of all, I miss writing, and getting responses on those writings.

I've been keeping my ear to the ground, and now it seems that UFS is back on the right track. James and Steve have done the most drastic but sorely needed medicine. As I said, when I left the game was not fun. The last tournament I played in, last year's SAS, I won with two absurd decks that had all manner of control across three resources (Athena) and just murdered opponents quick (Evil Zi Mei). After that, from what I'm told and what I've read, the state of the game became even worse. Bannings weren't enough, and an overhaul was needed. I agree, and am glad it has occured.

So glad, in fact, that I have decided to re-enter the game, in some capacity at least. Locally I don't know how active I will be, but I've read about the PTC and think it's a fantastic idea. And what do you know, the first event is in my backyard, the South Arena Showdown in Fort Myers. And, I happen to be defending champion. So to all those coming, I promise I WILL be there. Whether I play in singles and teams or not, after such a long layoff, I have yet to decide. But I want to re-connect with all of you and think this is the perfect chance. So, please, come on down and I look forward to seeing you all, again or for the first time (I'm looking at you, ATL!). And you might even catch me at the tables, probably gettting my ass kicked. Well, at least I have 2 weeks to crash-course myself in all things OOFS again, maybe it won't be so bad...

...but if so, then get your licks in early, because I'm back to bring da ruckus. Peace! :-)

Vik! Welcome back. We have missed you.

<3

If you like fish and grits and all that pimp ****...

Yeeeah boiiii, good to have you back, son! See you in two weeks!

Sketch said:

If you like fish and grits and all that pimp ****...

Everybody let me hear ya say, O-yay-er!

Welcome back, dude.

VIK? Wow! Haven't seen you since dinosaurs roamed the Earth!!!

It's actually been two years. I clearly remember you from Gencon 07. Haven't forgotten, big boi!

Good to see you're back. I honestly did miss your articles. I used to read them to brush up on what I missed on or didn't feel like experimenting with at the time. You were a big help, sir! I hope to meet you again, and for you to meet the rest of my team, and most importantly, CHUBBS!!!!!!!

You will be playing son, we will have you in shape in time, and i gots some killer tech up my sleeve for you lol you know that. Welcome back bro iam so glad you decided to return. Our local group needs you as does the UFS community at large...you are a great addition to the game, a great thinker and deckbuilder and i cant wait to get back to kicking ass and taking names....

Come get some UFS community, we are about to put a lil souf in yo mouf!

Sorry about that...it had to be done! :P

Holy crap, it's Vik.

If all goes well I'll be seeing you again in SAS II. If all goes REALLY well, I'll be beating you in SAS II, but that never happens lol

Gratz on the return! Boo on the Scuba-bash. (perhaps everyone knows something I DON'T about the guy, but... really? Admonishment in the first half of the post, in a public forum? ...)

Hey Vik, nice to see you back around. Missed your articles, didnt always agree entirely, but always liked reading them. Good to have familiar faces back into the game.

Welcome back vik, wont be heading down to SAS, can't aford it right now, but good to see you back.

Umigame

Vik!!!

Good to see your making a comeback, always good to have another friendly forum goer about the forums and at tourneys to hang with.

Good luck at SAS

To vermillian - yes, unfortunately that needed to be said. Only because, everything he did to tarnish his own reputation (it's a laundry list) reflected on MY reputation, and since i would say I had goos standing in the community I felt I needed to clear the air. Plus, yes, probably you don't quite know enough about the situation to understand, but I know others do.

Geez I'm gonna get to go one on one with the legend himself? But there's no Dhalsim for him to play... Whatever shall he do? :D

VikramS said:

To vermillian - yes, unfortunately that needed to be said. Only because, everything he did to tarnish his own reputation (it's a laundry list) reflected on MY reputation, and since i would say I had goos standing in the community I felt I needed to clear the air. Plus, yes, probably you don't quite know enough about the situation to understand, but I know others do.

At least I make sure that whatever bad thing I do is my fault and my fault only.

Holy crap, welcome back!! It's been ages... and you gotta visit WI again sometime btw.

This is an omen.

This makes me want to NOT quit playing. Awesome. I can't stop before meeting one of my brothers in brown-ness, and one of my favorite personalities besides =D

vik welcome back, been fun talking to your sexy ass on facebook stud muffin.

let's write some articles man, me and fred were talking of doing a site for it? interested?

let's get on this.

as far as the scuba thing goes, he pretty much ruined our playgroup, to the point we had 4 people playing, As soon as he quit i had 5 people start showing up again and numerous others who wouldnt play because he did take an interest in it. i wont go into details but lets just say the guy is not a welcomed sight at any of our local stores...

On another note...Lets see some more faces at SAS II, iam gonna start a sideshow, pictures with Vik at the SAS II, show up and play and get your picture taken with the myth, the man, the legend!

I'm willing to contribute anything I write to your site, with the only disclaimer being that I will likely publish it to my blog first anyway. If you're fine with that, sure, we can work out the details.

Hey everybody, thanks for the warm response. Makes me feel good to be missed, heh. I really, sincerely appreciate it.

Awaken said:

as far as the scuba thing goes, he pretty much ruined our playgroup, to the point we had 4 people playing, As soon as he quit i had 5 people start showing up again and numerous others who wouldnt play because he did take an interest in it. i wont go into details but lets just say the guy is not a welcomed sight at any of our local stores...

On another note...Lets see some more faces at SAS II, iam gonna start a sideshow, pictures with Vik at the SAS II, show up and play and get your picture taken with the myth, the man, the legend!

I'm down for some photos though, more likely I am looking forward to hanging out with the ATL crew, Scott and Omar among others expected to be there.

MegaGeese said:

This is an omen.

This makes me want to NOT quit playing. Awesome. I can't stop before meeting one of my brothers in brown-ness, and one of my favorite personalities besides =D

Two things= Omieneneneneneneneno geese... you arent guitting. Sorry but youre not. Hate to break it to you. Hit me up on Aim or MSN please (badman4275 and [email protected]).

Second, who is this vik guy? theres no legal dhalsim dude. You gotta... go.

Nah dude but its awesome to have you back. You were missed as an internet persona and i cant wait to ACTUALLY meet you next weekend.

i sadly cannot make sas, given my current financial fail. but we can meet at nats/worlds no doubt.

also if there is a pt we meet at, epicness will ensue etc.

we'll meet this year somehow someway man.

also vik, play legacy. i'm trying to get it going big. let's make it happen.

VikramS said:

Awaken said:

NO. I am neither myth or legend, and according to my girl the man part is shaky from time to time as well.

I'm down for some photos though, more likely I am looking forward to hanging out with the ATL crew, Scott and Omar among others expected to be there.

this would be possible... If Scott wasnt a giant ******. Must be hard maintaining a ****** so large that the world could be swallowed up by it, chocolate thunder.

But yes, drinks will be had. And fun/sex/love will be made. Real talk.

Oh ps, has anybody really tested THAT much for sas? lol

Sentiments about Scuba echo'd

Welcome Back mister Vikramas