Deploy and no Void avaible

By Wildhorn, in Forbidden Stars

We got in a particular situation where the systems with factories of a player were all controlled by enemy. He had no ships to try to come kill some enemy ships, so he was stuck on his planets, unable to get away of them, basically removing him from the game.

I think this is a huge problem and that Deploy should allow to create ships in 1 enemy void if no friendly/uncontrolled void are avaible, initiating a combat.

Edited by Wildhorn

Couldn't he move to an adjacent system? Would you mind adding some extra info, like tiles used and so on? I'm curious

Couldn't he move to an adjacent system? Would you mind adding some extra info, like tiles used and so on? I'm curious

He could move to adjacent systems via planet paths, but even in those systems the voids were occupied. There was no void available for him to deploy ships. His only hope would have been that the other players move away, which of course, we didn't want to.

That's interesting; I guess it's the same as in Game of Thrones: who controls the sea zones kills the game.

That's interesting; I guess it's the same as in Game of Thrones: who controls the sea zones kills the game.

But in GoT you can continue to play on land only and you still have the option to make ships in port and try to take back the sea.

I wouldn't really label this as a problem with the game itself. Instead, this is just one of many valid strategies, one to be mindful of when playing the game.

But in GoT you can continue to play on land only and you still have the option to make ships in port and try to take back the sea.

Right, sorry, I play 1st edition, and ports were introduced in the expansions.

Indeed, as Whoisthedoctor said, you need to keep in mind the problem, and plan strategies accordingly. Or, if the things really bothers you because t happens too often, you can houserule it differently

So Ive only played one game of Stars so far ( excuse the lack of rules knowledge ) but if a home system is surounded by an enemy fleet so there is no empty void for new units , why cant a player just launch his ships into his systems void ( with a factory ) to combat the enemy fleet and hopefully gain some footing ? .

Well you cant, because the rules state you need to build the starships in a uncontroled or friendly area

We got in a particular situation where the systems with factories of a player were all controlled by enemy. He had no ships to try to come kill some enemy ships, so he was stuck on his planets, unable to get away of them, basically removing him from the game.

I think this is a huge problem and that Deploy should allow to create ships in 1 enemy void if no friendly/uncontrolled void are avaible, initiating a combat.

hi, if it happens often in your games, you & your friends can "house-rule" it simply is not allowed invading void of any home-tile.

It sucks however cause this problem should have been solved in playtesting sessions. a game of this substance(quality,cost) should not have such kind of "bugs".

The "bug" is fixed by building another forge in a system that has an open void. If there are none available then there must be very poor planning on the players part or a concentrated effort mid to late game amongst the other players.

This really just sounds like the result of the game turning against a particular player, rather than a real issue with the rules. I do notice the OP said "We didn't want to", which sounds to me like at least two players were beating down on the third player. I'm guessing this situation did not occur extremely early in the game?

This came up in a 2 player game last night, Eldar vs Chaos. Chaos objectives were all the wrong side of void spaces, so my ships flew in and wiped out his lone iconoclast, and his guys were stuck on little planet islands where I could pick them off or just go round. By the time he had managed to build a factory somewhere else, I had already collected all the objectives.

I think a house rule is in order...

In other news, I think Eldar may be too overpowered for a fun 2-player game. We played twice and the Eldar won 2-0 both times in 3-4 turns. We have had much closer match ups with different armies, coming down to tie-breakers, but this one was just one sided.

I don't believe Eldar are OP. What they do have are certain advantages, but they also have certain disadvantages, and all you have to do is to play around them and to play in your factions strengths (like flanking and having a solid fleet that will put up a fight)

Similar experience.

A friend mostly plays eldar and as an ork I have very little ship capability early on and even in the late game to stop his ship dominance. He had 2 chances to shut me into my base and didn't do it out of pity but I am afraid next game he will try to use this.

How do you counter void locking with orks ? Make factories all over the place ? Attack early on as fast as possible ? Or just rely on the gretchin cards to crash reinforcements into the enemy in a suicide attempt ?

Exactly, those are your best options! Plus the map build is very important, you should try to have a huge "land mass", ie try to have as much planets conected to your objective as possible and let the Ork Roks do the rest. That way you wont need to count on ships and you cand just steamroll him

This is not a huge problem, not a design flaw. Players need to get out of the mind set of risk/axis & allies thought of total domination. If a player or players want to keep all their ships in one star system, fine by me. There just isn't enough ships to dominate the board. That means less resources for them to deal with battles in other parts of the board. It's a simple solution, build another factory in a different star system. I tend to build two additional factories. From there I can do surgical strikes on the surrounding systems to gain the objectives needed. If my enemies want to waste their effort on harassing a single system, go for it. But they got other players in other systems to deal with and only so many ships. If they don't want to move their ships, better for the rest of the players. I saw this happen in a game where one player spent too many turns trying to orbital strike a single planet in another player's 'home' system. It left him open for the other players since all his fleets were committed to this. That is what the rules intend, yea you can blockage and orbital strike but waste too much time in one location and risk not obtaining your objectives. The situation originally described sounds like multiple players just wanting to harass a single player, which by itself is a waste of time as well.