The Age of sigmar

By xking, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Will the Age of sigmar change Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay? and how does the community think it will change?

I don't think FFG has come out with new stuff for WRPG 3d edition in a while.

I'm hoping they'll (get to) do an Age of Sigmar RPG.

If you want to play during the events of the End Times, that could be very exiting but ultimately your characters would be doomed.

(Spoilers)

GM: "The sky turns the color of burning blood and living nightmares, the world around you trembles and is wrenched in impossibe ways before being pulled apart at the core of it's very existence! Castles tumble into the skies! Men mutate into spawn that are immediatly sucked into the horrible vortex that sits where the sky used to be! A vortex that somehow looks like a mouth and an eye at the same time. The world dies screaming!"

Bruce: *picks up dice*

GM: "euh Bruce, what are you doing?"

Bruce: "I'm gonna roll my save!"

GM: "Wha? T-t-the whole world is being pulled into the warp, you fool! you can't save against that!"

John: "I'm gonna look that up, that can't be right." *starts looking trough rulebook*

Dave: "So, I roll up a new character?"

GM: "Noooo. Everybody's dead dave! There's nobody left to play. The world is gone! vanished! Destroyed!"

Dave: "What? even Malekith?"

GM: "Yes Dave even Malekith. Everybody is dead, Dave."

Dave: "How about Karl Franz?"

GM; "Everybody is DEAD, Dave! E-ve-ry-bo-dy!"

John: "Deathclaw! Nooooo!"

GM: "Aww Jeez!"

Bruce: "Can I play Khorne?"

GM: *facepalms*

Haha, the GM might as well pull out "Chaos In The Old World" at that point.

That reminds me: there's this weird rumour floating around about AoS: Sigmar made his own realm* in the warp, and it's not just a hodgepodge of the warhammer world, but also other dimensions. Including real life earth. So we might get Carroburg Greatswords fighting alongside medieval german crossbowmen. Just a rumour tough.

Ok, so any day now (4th July) the Age of Su\igmar starts. On The net theres a lot of links, pics and info about the new setting. There are 9 Mortal Realms (one for each wind of Magic + Chaos). There are 4 main allainces:

- Order: people believing in Sigmar, Mecenaries called Red Slayers, Dwarf, Elves and Seraphon (Lizardman)

- Chaos

- Undead

- Destruction: Orks, Goblins, Ogres and all kind of beasts

Most races have now new names becouse they are noy perfectly the same. Many of older alliences are still there becouse Sigmar pulled from the void many souls and so saved those before Chaos.

The Realms ruled by Sigmar in his Celestial Palace is Azyrheim so the Realm of Heavens. All realms are connected by portals also called gates.There is said that Sigmar and Grungni forged those Gates. At Azyr are all the great cites and the capitol of the Order Alliance. We know that there are many races that live at all realms. At this point there are no maps or anything of those. But we know that the main reason for Sigmar to live ant create a new world was to destroy all Choas.

At this point I do not know what to think about the setting but it could be very interesting. We will see after the official premiere and when we will get more official info.

I would be interested if FFg would make a new boardgame or RPG set in it. Therer are all kind of new possibilities. We have to wait.

Cheers

PS. I will miss some stuff from The Old World especialy the rich setting and can only hope that teh new will be as good or better then the old one.

Looking at the rules I'm not impressed, then again it's clearly not minted for me so no surprise. I haven't read much of the fluff but so far it feels very wargame centric and not a world in which RP can happen. Hopefully that will get fleshed out and we'll see if it won't be a unique world(s) to explore.

I'm glad we get something new, we still have the old so we haven't lost anything afterall.

It's official... No more armybooks. Sigh.

I guess GW will also print the battlescrolls in WD...I mean what else are they gonna put in that 32 page adevertisment rag? :D

Warhammer is dead. Long live Age of Sigmar.

Warhammer is dead. Long live Age of Sigmar.

I couldn't disagree more.

Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer.

To me, that AoS doesn't even exist. ;)

.To me, that AoS doesn't even exist. ;)

I was about to start ranting how the new rules couldn't be more different from warhammer (1st ed has more in common)

But then I read that last line.

Yeah long live the warhammer world!

The only thing I liked about the end times was that it ended in total chaos victory. And the eight pointed star boys will Always remain my fave faction. It's a good thing they appear in almost every GW game, with possibly the exception of Gorkamorka...

Seems they got rid of any lore and just said here is the stats and rules, go play.
Seems to be designed for young kids or very drunk adults.

I wonder if Computer gaming is taking their profits.

Edited by DurakBlackaxe

Speaking of computer gaming. Creative Assembly recently did an interview about the development of Total War: Warhammer. From everything I can see it's set in the traditional Warhammer setting. So the old setting isn't completely gone yet.

Who knows, this might just be a temporary gimmick before they roll back to the old setting but with new rules.

Seems to be designed for young kids or very drunk adults.

Ha ha ha! :)

Well, every battlereport I've seen and battle I've tried has devolved into a blobfight in the middle where both players keep rolling until one side dies.

The fun rules, I like them until I can't tell the intent of the rules. roll 2d6 on the screaming bell and if you roll 13 you win! That's obviously tongue in cheet about the holy 13th number for skaven. But some of the vampire stuff, like "if you can't see the sun add +1 to your rolls" I have no idea if this is just for fun, or if I'm just supposed to take the +1.

Old warhammer hasn't gone anywhere, it's still there and in a way GW can't ruin it now. Sadly it also means warammer fantasy will slowly dissapear as players loose interest and few if any new players join the hobby.

I haven't been able to read the fluff, is it possible to do any kind of normal'ish RP in this universe?

Pokemon used to have a Happy Birthday Pikachu card. The thing got more powerfull if it was the player's birthday.

Just model your vampire figures with their eyes shut: That way they can never "see the sun" and you Always get +1 :D

Altough AOS using some nighttime battles and vampires getting bonuses would be awesome.

AOS Skaven screaming bell : roll 13 on 2D6 for the win.

18110%20Six%20Sided%2013-18.jpg

Edited by Robin Graves

I haven't been able to read the fluff, is it possible to do any kind of normal'ish RP in this universe?

I wouldn't say "normal" has anything to do with AOS.

So far I've heard the full described as : "bring back matt ward". Thats not good.

My bet is roleplaying would be like Black Crusade turned up to 11 buth with fantasy and gods, and magic realms etc...

I guess I can now officially welcome all WFRP 3e players to the world of Oldhammer

Oldhammer%2Blogo.png

Speaking of computer gaming. Creative Assembly recently did an interview about the development of Total War: Warhammer. From everything I can see it's set in the traditional Warhammer setting. So the old setting isn't completely gone yet.

Who knows, this might just be a temporary gimmick before they roll back to the old setting but with new rules.

My desire to know more intensifies.

Also: I might need to sink some money into my PC to upgrade it enough to be able to play this new Total War game.

AOS Skaven screaming bell : roll 13 on 2D6 for the win.

18110%20Six%20Sided%2013-18.jpg

That's 31.

That was the only pic i could find that demonstrates the point i was trying to make (D6's with higer number on them)

Plus I could argue that the goal was to roll a 13 on 2D6, nobody said I had to add the dice values. :P

Age of Sigmar has not gone down well with most hoping for RPG-properties. I'm quite happy with 3rd edition and expect to continue in it and in a world without the End Times (though now my more internet savvy players will shudder a bit whenever I mention hints of Nagash etc.)

I am now officially done with Games Workshop. If they have really "killed off" their own setting in order to create a more profitable product, thereby taking a massive, hideous dump on their own fanbase, they have truly become an Evil Corporation . I hope their plan becomes a miserable financial faliure, forcing them to do a full 180 and humbly bow their disgraced heads in apology.

If not, may Chaos calim them, or Sigmar himself lay his righteous vengeance upon them.

Sealing the people responsible inside an old Soviet submarine on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean would also suffice.