Reveal - trigger or just flavour text

By marktarver, in Rules Questions

Hi,

I recently bought the 1st edition core (bad timing!), however it was cheap and has meant a good intro to the game, which I loved.

After seeing the recent news about the 1st chapter pack - I have a question on the Reveal word and what it might trigger.

The new card "Taking the Black" https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/2c/90/2c9091d9-4880-4f0b-8049-371b462ebe54/the-watch-has-need.png - reads about looking through your deck, revealing cards and putting them into your hand.

My interpretation of this is that they have put the Reveal word in on purpose, and any card you chose using this action, IF the card had a when revealed trigger, then it would trigger?

Or do when revealed triggers only activate when actually laying cards face up on the table in front of you - ie putting into play rather than going to your hand?

Cheers

The reveal part on cards like that is necessary for your opponents to see whether they are viable targets. With that event you are only allowed to get cards with certain traits, the reveal is to show your opponents the cards you take have indeed those traits.

Well, it's impossible to know for sure how this is going to work based on a single card. However, in 1st Ed., your interpretation would not work as you propose.

In 1st Ed., the "when revealed" trigger only appeared on plot cards, so it was pretty clear it only applied to that plot becoming your currently active plot. There would never have been anything as generic as a passive "when revealed" ability on a card to indicate the timing of its ability. Rather, the text on a non-plot card was more likely to be a response effect to "after you reveal a card from your deck..." or "after an opponent reveals a non-plot card...". And any way, cards that are not "in play" are not actionable in 1st Ed., so unless a card specifically says something "after this card is revealed from your deck and put into your hand" to indicate that it can be used from an out-of-play area, a revealing effect such as "Taking the Black" wouldn't allow you to trigger a card's effect based on it being revealed by another card's effect.

That, of course, is all 1st Ed. We just don't know what 2nd Ed. is going to look like yet. However, it is very likely that some basic things will be consistent:

- The "When Revealed" trigger is likely to only appear on plot cards.

- Revealing a card could serve as a triggering condition, but will probably need a "Reaction" or "Interrupt" ability to indicate the ability's full timing.

- Cards will probably only be actionable when they are in play (or played, in the case of events).

If those points hold true, your interpretation that the word "reveal" on something like "Taking the Black" will potentially activate card text on the cards it reveals is highly unlikely. The generic "when revealed" trigger is unlikely to be on a non-plot card. The reveal could certainly serve as a triggering condition for a reaction or interrupt effect, but the text of that ability will control the full timing. And if 2nd Ed. is consistent with all the other FFG LCGs, the cards revealed from your deck and put into your hand would not be able to trigger abilities during the execution of "Taking the Black" (i.e., from your deck or from your hand) unless they specifically say that they are actionable while in your deck or in your hand.

The word "reveal" in "Taking the Black" serves a much different, and more important purpose. It's there to verify that the cards the player is putting into hand are characters with the named trait - as the card instructs. It's there to stop a player from saying all 5 cards meet the search criteria without having to verify such a claim.

Thanks all

I'm trying to remember but weren't there one or two search effects in 1e that didn't reveal?

The only times search effects in 1st Ed. did not require you to "reveal" what you found was if the effect told you to search for "a card." Only something that generic - with absolutely not qualifying characteristics - came without a "reveal" requirement. Anything else ("search for a character," "search for a Knight," etc.) required a reveal to verify that the found card met the search criteria.

The requirement to reveal a searched card to verify it's allowability is also in the rules for Ed2 so there isn't even a need to use the word reveal on the card itself. It's good that it's there to remind people though.

(Hi ktom, I'll be back for Ed2)

Edited by ingsve

is it possible for Euron's Crow Eye ability to take control over an opponent's loyal location?

Yes. Loyalty is a deckbuilding restriction. What happens in play is another matter entirely.

well in that case taking control of opponent's cards abilities seem pretty OP

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. But look at the work that you have to do to get that done:

• Get off an unopposed challenge to play "We Do Not Sow"
  • Marshal a 7-cost character into play who's going to have a giant bullseye on him with enough other board presence that you don't lose him to Military claim

It's not nothing.

And each faction's 7-cost characters are all formidable. Fat Bob kneels out other characters to boost his own STR. Tywin pumps based on his own ability. The Red Viper can end the game in a single challenge. The Old Bear is awesome on defense and plays free characters. Ned Stark can almost always defend challenges, or stand for counterattack. Daenerys goes crazy with the dragons out. The Queen of Thorns plays free characters like she's handing out candy.

true that, as amazing as Euron's Crow Eye looks, the other 7 seem equally impressive, I can't wait to see how this balance plays out, as a rookie LCGamer I have my hopes high for numerous competitively viable decks, not like PC RPG games ending up most of the time with one OP build

true that, as amazing as Euron's Crow Eye looks, the other 7 seem equally impressive, I can't wait to see how this balance plays out, as a rookie LCGamer I have my hopes high for numerous competitively viable decks, not like PC RPG games ending up most of the time with one OP build

My experience from CCG was that the game is also very skillbased so even if certain types of decks are strong it doesn't compensate for a poor player in control of it and a good player with a less powerful archetype deck could still be competitive. I hope that's still the case.

(Hi ktom, I'll be back for Ed2)

Hi ingsve! Good to "see" you.

I've been "lurking" and only answering rules questions for a while now. Kind of excited to start playing regularly with 2nd Ed., too.