Help with Rune Shards mission

By sozin, in BattleLore: Command

Hi, I've done this mission a bunch of times and still can't beat the **** thing. this is the mission where you have to find the 3 rune shards in the tent, and get the rune golems as a reward.

does anyone have a reliable way of beating this mission?

I've played it 3 times, I think. I beat it twice. My favorite way of dealing with this mission is to set up 2 Riverwatch Riders on the left and one in the center, on or near the line. Start by ordering them with a 2-1-0 command card and get them up toward the left-most tents. With their Flanking ability giving them more offense and their Vigilant ability preventing them from being countered, they can just go all-in and start harassing the Uthuk Y'llan. Their increased mobility also makes it easier to go from tent to tent.

You'll want to try to use your Cavalry-specific command card before you lose one of your Riverwatch Riders, though, so you can maximize its effect (an extra die for your Cavalry).

In my experience, the computer likes to split forces between your horses and whatever you left in the center and right sections. I prefer Citadel Guards to Yeoman Archers in this scenario, because the guards can push Uthuk units off of the tents.

In my experience, the computer likes to split forces between your horses and whatever you left in the center and right sections. I prefer Citadel Guards to Yeoman Archers in this scenario, because the guards can push Uthuk units off of the tents.

Wait, don't Yeomen Archers do a good job of pushing troops around? It always seems to me that they roll Morale a lot (at least, they do when I want damage instead!)

I just beat it for a second time, this time without any archers. We actually destroyed all their forces before we found the 3rd shard, so that's another strategy. I used 3 Riverwarch Riders, and filled the rest with Citadel Guards. The Guards were a bit slow getting to the action, so I tried to hold my Riverwatch Riders just out of range on turn 1, so next turn they could rush the tents. Seemed to work alright.