Exchanging trophies question...

By rapatpamp, in Talisman Rules Questions

if I have a trophy thats 7 strength , 7 craft both do I have to choose which stat I get or can I get a strength and craft upgrade?

lt depends on how you beat the creature but you only get one. lf you used Strength you gain a one Strength, if you used Craft you gain one Craft.

Aldo you fight an enemy with craft or strenght, it is the card that deside what you get, strenght for strength and craft enemys give you craft. ex: you use an ability to do psychic combat to a lion whit stength 4, you win, you can now trade it for strength..NOT craft.

Thats how i have played for the last 18-20 years of my talisman life:), got my first when i was about 14/15 years old:), so i have played alot you can say:)

But I got my 4th edition only about a year ago, and there could be a new rule out that I havent heard of yet....... And im new to this site.... looking forward to excange questions anyway:)

Fredrik Winde said:

Aldo you fight an enemy with craft or strenght, it is the card that deside what you get, strenght for strength and craft enemys give you craft. ex: you use an ability to do psychic combat to a lion whit stength 4, you win, you can now trade it for strength..NOT craft.

Thats how i have played for the last 18-20 years of my talisman life:), got my first when i was about 14/15 years old:), so i have played alot you can say:)

But I got my 4th edition only about a year ago, and there could be a new rule out that I havent heard of yet....... And im new to this site.... looking forward to excange questions anyway:)

I think you've been playing wrong all these years (or at least with house rules and didn't know it). If an Adventure card has on Str listed for the Enemy, you have to use your Str as well, can't use your Craft. And vice versa, if Enemy has only Craft, have to use Craft yourself.

Dam said:

Fredrik Winde said:

I think you've been playing wrong all these years (or at least with house rules and didn't know it). If an Adventure card has on Str listed for the Enemy, you have to use your Str as well, can't use your Craft. And vice versa, if Enemy has only Craft, have to use Craft yourself.

I think Fredrik ment IF you had a possibility to make the attack psychic combat (at the moment there is no card that allows it but we can;t assume that it won't happen in the future).

In my opinion you choose either craft or strenght. You don't have to remember what stat you used to beat that Enemy.

araszewskis said:

Dam said:

Fredrik Winde said:

I think Fredrik ment IF you had a possibility to make the attack psychic combat (at the moment there is no card that allows it but we can;t assume that it won't happen in the future).

In my opinion you choose either craft or strenght. You don't have to remember what stat you used to beat that Enemy.

To add something to this discussion..

You can't use the psychic attack ability on a strength enemy (lion)

Those ability's are meant to use against other characters (cvc fight)

Yes, but an interesting question (btw, I changed my avatar happy.gif ).

I would say, if you beat an enemy with 2 values you really must remember how you beat it. That's easy, as you can stack your trophies in two different piles anyway, one for craft and one for strength. So simply put the card where your respective trophy types are put.

Velhart said:

Yes that's what I said but you we can't assume that there will be no card/s that allow this. For example an Object:

No good character may have 'Object'

Whenever you attack an Enemy with Strenght value you can pay 1 life to make the attack psychic combat. If you do use the Enemy's Strenght as his Craft.

araszewskis said:

Velhart said:

Yes that's what I said but you we can't assume that there will be no card/s that allow this. For example an Object:

No good character may have 'Object'

Whenever you attack an Enemy with Strenght value you can pay 1 life to make the attack psychic combat. If you do use the Enemy's Strenght as his Craft.

Yeah oke..

Such objects can be made for the future.

A object that can make the battle,.. psychic combat..

Very good idea !! aplauso.gif

what i meant was this: if you meet a lion whit str. you must fight it whit str. and change it for str. points. same goes for craft.......now, if you have an ability or a spell or an object etc etc to do psy.combat insted whit an enemy/creature you can use your craft insted, if you then, lets say, fight a lion this way, you still trade the card for str. points NOT craft points. happy.gif hopes this makes sense.

Fredrik Winde said:

what i meant was this: if you meet a lion whit str. you must fight it whit str. and change it for str. points. same goes for craft.......now, if you have an ability or a spell or an object etc etc to do psy.combat insted whit an enemy/creature you can use your craft insted, if you then, lets say, fight a lion this way, you still trade the card for str. points NOT craft points. happy.gif hopes this makes sense.

And to really answer the first question, if you fight an enemy/creature that have both stats (craft/str.) you choos what to fight whit, if you used str.... its traded for str.points and vise versa happy.gif

Fredrik Winde said:

So you mean like if Wizard (or Ghoul or Sorceress) lands on a Lion, they can fight a psychic combat? If so, then that is still incorrect. If you meet a Lion, you have to fight a battle, regardless of your special abilities (or Spells or Objects). You can NEVER fight using your Craft against an Enemy with only Str listed (not with the current cards that are out). The ability to do a psychic combat is currently only used when such a character on his/her turn encounters another character and attacks, then they can make it a psychic combat (because characters have both Str and Craft). Creatures with both listed (Lord of the Pit, Cerberus, Lord of Darkness, etc.) already either dictate which stat you use (Eastern Dragon) or allow the player to choose (all the rest).

He he he, been playing this for almost 20 years and still there are things that are you never remembers in this game gran_risa.gif , Im shure that we have played some things the wrong way from time to time, becuse when i think of it, there is no character that can choos to attack psy.combat to an enemy/creature that has strength on the card.

This meens that any character that can attac whit psy.combat can not use this ability against the lord of the darknees or the sentinel? becuse the are not considerd a character but creatures, right? happy.gif

This game only becomes more and more confusing he he he.

Sentinel has only Str, but Lord of Darkness has both Str and Craft. Note that LoD allows any character to attack him via battle or psychic combat (as per the LoD rules), so even a Str 5, Craft 15 Prophetess can attack the LoD via psychic combat.

"A character fighting the Lord of Darkness may choose to
battle or wage psychic combat against him. The Lord of Darkness
has Strength 12 and Craft 12." (Dungeon rules, p. 7)

The card in question is Cerebus - a str 7, craft 7, you choose which to fight it with. Lord of the Pit is 8/8 (Both Reaper), and in Frostmarch there is the Eastern Dragon, a 6/6.

I would like an official ruling on this, too. But so far, I'd agree on you remember what you beat it with.

I think this one is pretty straight forward, and there are only a few Enemy cards in question where it comes up all mentioned above. You remember how you fought it and then you put the trophy in the Strength or Craft trophy pile ( you keep them seperate right ;) ? )

I can't think of a single enemy or object where you can make the battle Psychic combat instead. The closest thing is with Psionic Blast or Monk's ability where you can add your Craft Value to Strength, but then it's still a Strength battle. It would be nice to see the opposite of that somewhere!

inkblob said:

I think this one is pretty straight forward, and there are only a few Enemy cards in question where it comes up all mentioned above. You remember how you fought it and then you put the trophy in the Strength or Craft trophy pile ( you keep them seperate right ;) ? )

I do, though in the case of Cerberus and LotP, since they by themselves are enough points to trade, they get traded the same turn they were killed, so not much memory needed.

Guys, I am struggling with something. As Talisman Wiki and the rules book suggest trophies can only be exchanged into either strength or craft point. However, in Talisman 3rd edition there was the option of general experience points that could be exchanged for either craft, strength, life or gold as an option.

Do you guys play with different rules than Wiki or the rules book? And what can you suggest?

Thanks for the replies!

3rd edition was different, as was the 2nd edition before it (only Str in that one IIRC). R4th edition is what people on this forum play, presumably most of us follow the RAW, so Str or Craft can be gained.

On 19.06.2017 at 5:40 PM, boombassie said:

Do you guys play with different rules than Wiki or the rules book? And what can you suggest?

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, we use something like this:

1. You need 6 trophy points instead of seven.

2. For each large cone you have the cost or raising this attribute increases by 6.

3. You can use strength for craft or vice versa but at half value.