September 2009 SOTG

By FFGSteve, in UFS General Discussion

MarcoPulleaux said:

Tekken is still fresh (COME ON **** IT, WHERE ARE MY CHRISTIE PLAYERS?! >:|)...

Present. :)

MarcoPulleaux said:

and once again, where are people's creative bones? Where are the Chaos Cervantes, Evil Bryan Fury, Death Zhao Daiyu, Void Rashotep, All John Herr , Good Lu Chen...

Funny you should mention it; I built one yesterday and it's actually pretty fun. Hunt for Jin with his ability is quite dumb, and Razor's Bite provides plenty of revealing for his E. :)

MarcoPulleaux said:

There is a PDF...but you can't see it. Only scouts I believe can, but I'm not one, so I don't really know. A PDF Is released with every set, so I'd say become a scout, as the PDF isn't meant to be shared through the grapevine.

Nope, otherwise I would have seen it. It's playtesters only I think.

Awaken said:

Pushing the set back to get the whole thing on track for next year was the best move, a lot of players who havent touched this game in a year or more are starting to come back now, and to push them even further in the hole by rushing sets out before anyone has a chance to get caught up would be stupid.

Wasn't that the point of releasing one set at a time?

quarzark said:

Right now, Void Cervantes is going to get on his boat and take a shot next local tourney, but afterwords since I can't really afford the tournaments, I need to win (or at least top 4) every tournament so I can pay for it with the store credit I win, and fire has the best chance of that.

And herin lies the WHY behind FFG not flooding the market with another set only a month after Tekken 6. Players don't have an infinite amount of MOOLA! How, if you can't even play in the next tourney, may I ask do you expect to buy all of this wonderous SCIV2 product?

Many players are in a similar situation, they are cash strapped (most people are end of summer, travel etc.) and from buying into Tekken 6. If they felt they needed to unload another $$$ just to keep up with there local store and the 'few' players that have a lot of discretionary income they would be more turned off by the game then, say, a release every 3 months that they can economically plan for.

Yes, I understand you want FFG to hold to their word. But yes, decisions change, especially when they are for the better. If I told you I was going to step on your foot ,and then didn't follow through with that promise, wouldn't you be happy? You people are far to concerned with the means, which aren't all that bad by the way a change in dates really isn't the end of the world (most products never suceed at meeting their 'first' release date, hell - look at construction projects), and not giving enough credit to the ends, by far the more important part of what happens. Do the ends justify the means? In this case there is nary anything to justify, the means was doing what is done in countless situations with countless products around the world, for reasons stemming from making the product better, to 'not saturating the product', to releasing things in a different economic season, etc.

If you can't build Hiachi off of Earth and feel confident that it is on par with this fire version you aren't valuing the defensive properties of Earth correctly, and you are wanting a fast agressive game. If you want a fast and agressive game then build off the symbol that is the epitome of fast and agressive - - - oh wait, that is fire.

- dut

dutpotd said:

Yes, I understand you want FFG to hold to their word. But yes, decisions change, especially when they are for the better. If I told you I was going to step on your foot ,and then didn't follow through with that promise, wouldn't you be happy? You people are far to concerned with the means, which aren't all that bad by the way a change in dates really isn't the end of the world (most products never suceed at meeting their 'first' release date, hell - look at construction projects), and not giving enough credit to the ends, by far the more important part of what happens. Do the ends justify the means? In this case there is nary anything to justify, the means was doing what is done in countless situations with countless products around the world, for reasons stemming from making the product better, to 'not saturating the product', to releasing things in a different economic season, etc.

Honestly the only reason I'm not happy about this is because other than Kazuya there's no character in Tekken that I want to play. So an infusion of moar characters would definitely be welcome. We know there's supposed to be promos out, but other than Jin and Astrid I haven't seen any released.

HOWEVER, I am not guaranteed that there's a character in that set that I want to play. We know Mitsurugi and we know he's awesome. Okay, but I generally don't like how Mitsurugi plays in terms of playstyle. And everything affects my decision too, be it I like the character outside of UFS, stats, abilities, symbol spread...

Besides, why would I want to blow 180 on a set when I can't even go to my weekly tournament anymore?

Homme Chapeau said:

Honestly the only reason I'm not happy about this is because other than Kazuya there's no character in Tekken that I want to play. So an infusion of moar characters would definitely be welcome. We know there's supposed to be promos out, but other than Jin and Astrid I haven't seen any released.

HOWEVER, I am not guaranteed that there's a character in that set that I want to play. We know Mitsurugi and we know he's awesome. Okay, but I generally don't like how Mitsurugi plays in terms of playstyle. And everything affects my decision too, be it I like the character outside of UFS, stats, abilities, symbol spread...

Besides, why would I want to blow 180 on a set when I can't even go to my weekly tournament anymore?

Sure, and I have mixed feelings about the pushback as well along the same lines, I want MOAR cards (characters, cards in general). I think everyone does, and I think that want means we are enjoying the game.

I don't particularly like SCIV, I don't particularly like Tekken, I don't particularly dislike SW (I'm still trying to get a grip on what the world of SW is), all I can tell you is that I do like UFS . I can also tell you I particularly like Street Fighter and Darkstalkers and some select SNK characters, of which very few have been released. The SNK characters I like being Joe Higashi and Rugal Bernstein, sure I don't mind Terry, Geese, etc. but those 2 are my favs and they aren't anywhere! Instead I get countless iterations of some 10 year old girl called Pukeoruru among other equally lame characters.

Do you see me complain often? Maybe, but to all those that think they are in a boat alone, there are a lot of other players out there that like certain IP more than others, and there are equally as many that - bearing with that - enjoy simply - the game of UFS.

- dut

The only thing that makes me angry about this post is, the said SIV-2 would drop in oct. If they wany to reset everything whe ydont they drop one in oct, then in Jan, then april, then july, then back to oct. Seems to me that then they could reset after worlds easier

Hayamachop said:

The only thing that makes me angry about this post is, the said SIV-2 would drop in oct. If they wany to reset everything whe ydont they drop one in oct, then in Jan, then april, then july, then back to oct. Seems to me that then they could reset after worlds easier

It isnt only about getting the sets back on track to every 3 months its thinking about people who dont want to spend more money newer cards when they dont even have all of tekken that they want.

I only bought a box and a few packs of tekken and im still probably going to buy more becuase i dont have every card that i want and my playgroup is still hardcore trading to build the one of four decks they are working on at the moment

And i can tell you that at least in my playgroup the game isnt stale

I have 3 decks at the moment none of which are fire by the way and im pretty sure everyone one else who played in my tourney last week has at least 2 different decks yeah we have 3 astrids but she doesnt have to play off of fire and hell if i built her i would want to try it off of all or order becuase its different

If your so worried about fire ruining your day then build siegfried i promise you hes the anti fire and i usually dont lose to fire decks when i play him my only losses in tourneys with him came to a nightmare deck(yes ironic i know) but i checked a turn ending 2 on my first 2 turns the games that i lost to him....we went to game 3. Granted ive only played him in 2 tourneys but still

Quazark- Yeah it prolly will get delayed again, and I'll be right there to say I told ya so again :D

Marco- I'll be as cocky as I want thanks :P

Overall I'm indifferent as to the new set coming out, but I'd just like to point out one thing: Fire is the best symbol, not by far, but it's as much better now as Evil was vs All back in addes days. Yes other symbols can beat it, but whereas a Fire player just sort of casually has to do everything, the everything else player has to try his absolutle damndest to try to beat said Fire player.

I'm sad about this, but mainly because our store is in a college town, so everyone is going to be out of town. Come on FFG, December isn't a great month to release a new set...

I suppose it won't be so bad if they let us do the pre-release prior to the Tday holidays.

Regardless, I'm also sad because I love SC and really want to see the next set.

However delaying it is good for the wallet and I understand the decision. I just wish they'd thought about all of the ramifications, as I expect a lot of venues will have problems w/ people being gone for the holidays regardless of whether they're college towns or not.

Steve: You're scaring me a bit with 5+ sets per year there.. please... don't even think about it.

If I had it my way, then I'd make 4 sets (99-card set) a year with Battlepacks between each set.. kinda like a mini-set. The Siegfriend/Sophitia and the Ryu/Akuma are good examples. Making BPs of titles not represented in regular set releases helps quench the apathy of other titles waiting in line. The cool thing about this is that the BPs are like LCG game sets which are fixed and are exclusive to the BPs.

For example:

09/2009 - Tekken 6

12/2009 - SCIV

>> late January - SNK BP plz (i.e. Nakoruru vs Rera BP)

03/2009 - Street Fighter???

>> mid May - Darkstalkers BP plz (i.e. Morrigan vs Demitri BP)

06/2009 - ShadoWar???

>> NO BPs here due to Nationals and Worlds

09/2009 - SNK???

etc.

Hurry James... I'm not always right but I sure do hope that what I'm pushing here is right for this UFS. Also, BPs are a great way of reprinting old cards such as those League foils. Helps veteran players like myself, who have all these old cards, make something out of them.

GraveLord said:

Steve: You're scaring me a bit with 5+ sets per year there.. please... don't even think about it.

You do know we used to have about 8 sets a year right? I wouldn't mind the battle pack idea but I doubt they will ever do those again so 5-6 sets a year is needed so that all the licenses in the game get a set a year.

Also anyone who thinks Fire Heiachi is better than Chaos Heiachi is on drugs.

GraveLord said:

If I had it my way, then I'd make 4 sets (99-card set) a year with Battlepacks between each set.. kinda like a mini-set. The Siegfriend/Sophitia and the Ryu/Akuma are good examples. Making BPs of titles not represented in regular set releases helps quench the apathy of other titles waiting in line. The cool thing about this is that the BPs are like LCG game sets which are fixed and are exclusive to the BPs.

For example:

09/2009 - Tekken 6

12/2009 - SCIV

>> late January - SNK BP plz (i.e. Nakoruru vs Rera BP)

03/2009 - Street Fighter???

>> mid May - Darkstalkers BP plz (i.e. Morrigan vs Demitri BP)

06/2009 - ShadoWar???

>> NO BPs here due to Nationals and Worlds

09/2009 - SNK???

etc.

Hurry James... I'm not always right but I sure do hope that what I'm pushing here is right for this UFS. Also, BPs are a great way of reprinting old cards such as those League foils. Helps veteran players like myself, who have all these old cards, make something out of them.

I think this is a great plan, and it's something I've been saying to FFG privately since they took over in 2008.

Accordingly, I'll pass on why they're saying "no"

Apparently Battle Packs don't sell. People would maybe buy one, and that's it. Retailers I've talked to have echo'd these sentiments, and have thanked FFG for stopping Battle Packs.

It sucks... but I totally agree with you, and I know a number of players who feel the same way.

Thanks Steve for the SOTG, I like to know what's going on.

Being on the side of the people without money, I think it's a good idea to spread out a bit between sets and give all players time to get their cards. Sure, like dut, shinji, and a lot of other people, I'd like to know what's in the set so I can get building ; but having a lot of sets coming out puts a strain on all but those who've got enough cash to spare to buy 2 sets at a time, and that tends to dampen your spirits when you want to play.

And heck, my english has gotten bad again. But anyway, here's the point I defend : this is for the health of the game, ain't it? So people, let us rejoice :P And have a beer or two after tournaments

I knew it wasnt coming out in October, since it hadnt shown up in Previews/GTM yet, but I was hoping it would make it for late November. Ah well.

Also, I find it kind of ironic that people are COMPLAINING about Fire dominating. There was a time people would be cheering over a straight up agro symbol that wasnt Evil was holding the spotlight. As I rather like Fire...well, I hope it stays in the lead for a bit longer.

Promos: Not sure if FFG is even reading this still, but if you have any Darkstalker characters coming out as promos, Oct 31 is going to be here soon. :)

MarcoPulleaux said:

FFG is like a Latina: you want to put your trust in it, but both of you know, deep down, all you want is sex assuming you keep putting your money into it.

SIGGED :D

Bloodrunstrue said:

MarcoPulleaux said:

FFG is like a Latina: you want to put your trust in it, but both of you know, deep down, all you want is sex assuming you keep putting your money into it.

Might as well put his new screen name there anyways.

guitalex2008 said:

Bloodrunstrue said:

MarcoPulleaux said:

His username was ShinjiMimura, you misspelled it.

Might as well put his new screen name there anyways.

I know this is getting a little off topic, but Shinji Mimura is awesome and was my favourite character from Battle Royale.

On topic: Of coure I, like everyone else, am a little saddened by SCIV being pushed back a tad, but I can live with it. I'm really enjoying Tekken, and it might even give me the chance to collect alot of the stuff I've been missing, and come up with alot of new ideas for happy-fun legacy decks! I would enjoy 5 or 6 sets a year, it keeps the game freshened often enough, and it's better than two every 3 months. (or so) Also, it would help keep some of our favourite licences alive, as that's pretty much the only complaining I've been hearing lately, is that "Oh, no street fighter, I'm out." etc.

dutpotd said:

quarzark said:

Right now, Void Cervantes is going to get on his boat and take a shot next local tourney, but afterwords since I can't really afford the tournaments, I need to win (or at least top 4) every tournament so I can pay for it with the store credit I win, and fire has the best chance of that.

And herin lies the WHY behind FFG not flooding the market with another set only a month after Tekken 6. Players don't have an infinite amount of MOOLA! How, if you can't even play in the next tourney, may I ask do you expect to buy all of this wonderous SCIV2 product?

Many players are in a similar situation, they are cash strapped (most people are end of summer, travel etc.) and from buying into Tekken 6. If they felt they needed to unload another $$$ just to keep up with there local store and the 'few' players that have a lot of discretionary income they would be more turned off by the game then, say, a release every 3 months that they can economically plan for.

If you can't build Hiachi off of Earth and feel confident that it is on par with this fire version you aren't valuing the defensive properties of Earth correctly, and you are wanting a fast agressive game. If you want a fast and agressive game then build off the symbol that is the epitome of fast and agressive - - - oh wait, that is fire.

- dut

To be honest that really isn't a problem in this playgoup. We have come to a mutual understanding that not all of us have the money for all the cards but we have set up a very strong card borrowing system. That Promo Rikuo deck that he mentioned was built the night before completely on borrowed cards. more often then not we will loan cards to eachother to make sure that even if we cannot invest the money we need in the game we can all still have fun and play.

dutpotd said:

Do you see me complain often? Maybe, but to all those that think they are in a boat alone, there are a lot of other players out there that like certain IP more than others, and there are equally as many that - bearing with that - enjoy simply - the game of UFS.

Dude link ONE time where you had a complaint. It's a challenge.

Honestly, that's what my reasons are for actually liking the pushback - I can't go to my weekly tournament for the rest of the semester. Ergo, I probably wouldn't even touch SCIV (insert subtitle here - I'm expecting Broken Destiny) but in December, near the end of the semester? Obaby.

I wouldn't spit on a character reveal, however.

Also, I've favorites in all the licenses - the problem lies in that they're way too far from being fan favorites so I have to go on symbol spread, stats and abilities. Generally I go by the "Hatman is aroused by cards" ratio - if the character makes me pop a stiffy, I play that character.

dutpotd said:

quarzark said:

- dut

I borrow cards to play every week because if I put money into this game, I'd have a bunch of useless cards (and do have a bunch of useless cards) that are worth nothing, and I would probably being raving mad. And before you say "well then of course you can say stuff like release now if you're not buying cards." I will say that if I intended to pay for cards, I'd put aside the money far ahead of time and be well prepared for each set release. Planning ahead is a pro move. You are also right that this isn't the end of the world for me. So whatever, I had my impulse anger with that, I'm done with it. As for the last part, you're repeating to me things I already mentioned, which is if I want to play aggressive, I have to play fire. And to the rest, I have to say that you aren't valuing the defensive properties of Earth or Bryan Fury properly. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on here complaining about fire, post a reply about this in there if you want to talk about it more.

In before I'm told to play Rashotep or be quiet since I'm not a customer, the reason I'm not a customer being the companies own **** fault.

Sol Badguy said:

Also anyone who thinks Fire Heiachi is better than Chaos Heiachi is on drugs.

You know what Chaos Heihachi says to Fire Heihachi?

Oh My Momma
On My Hood
I Look Fly
I Look Good
Touch My Swag
Wish You Could
I Look Fly
I Look Good

Also, sigging me ftw. You'll never be ret down I swear :)

quarzark said:

And to the rest, I have to say that you aren't valuing the defensive properties of Earth or Bryan Fury properly. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on here complaining about fire, post a reply about this in there if you want to talk about it more.

In before I'm told to play Rashotep or be quiet since I'm not a customer, the reason I'm not a customer being the companies own **** fault.

This is where you lost me, everything prior just made me mad. You can't see cards as an 'investment' it is a game, your money is gone once you buy it, you can't 'expect' appreciation and you can't 'expect' any more personal value from your purchase than what you give it heed yourself.

My only point is that you sound like you want Earth to be as agressive as fire? (you can't have your cake and eat it too!!!). Then this statement above seems like you are telling me what I value? I like Earth, hell I may even like the Earth symbol more than Fire just like you. I'm also fully aware of what Earth offers that Fire doesn't, and that is a lot of something, somethings that makes Earth better than Fire in many cases.

There's nothing really to talk to you about, you've already been disambiguated by your own admission that you are turned off of buying into the game (and you blame FFG for this, becuase they apparantly have control over your pocket book...)

If you want to play agressive you had better play the most agressive symbol in the game... What other symbol should be more agressive, tell me? All I'm saying is you can't blame the designers for sticking true to the symbols. They wanted these last few sets to be agressive, agressive cards get fire. Not exactly a surprise. You claim to like agression in the game and yet what you are really asking for is either a) agression to be on your favorite symbol and not just fire, or b) for more game mechanics to come out that lend themselves to control.The latter will come, and ideally in a balanced form. If the former came you would be complaining that all the symbols play the same and it is a lose/lose situation.

Have some patience, the world doesn't revolve around you and your playgroup, if you take a two month hiatus from the game becuase 'you don't like most cards being fire/agressive' then do so in peace or play legacy, or play block 3, or play block 2, play a full block. Don't come in here pretending fire is the only symbol you can play right now, it isn't. Don't come in here smearing a Company that makes decisions that are the best for the majority of players, because the opposite would do more harm than good.

We don't control what you play, obviously the only people that control what you play are your friends who do buy the cards - which you then share off of. Don't get me wrong, this is all good and I buy/collect with one other as well, my point is you can play what you want however you want, and the clear value you place on cards yet to be released is in direct contrast to your desire for old cards to hold value. Want your old cards to hold value for a long time and to you? Buy them and play with them for more than 2 weeks before demanding something more.

- dut

Of course fire the the aggresive symbol thats the way it should have been since day one!

not every symbol can have everything because if that was the case what would be the point in having symbols at all? I feel like every symbol has its place and should do just that the best.

Fire-Damage Pump/Speed Pump
Death-Negation/Blanking
Earth-Damage Redux/Tank
Good-Reversal Based
Chaos-Momentum Gen

Etc....Etc....

Depending on what you want your going to have to play those symbols....do you want Death to have Damage Reduction, Negation, and the ability to be agressive at the same time?

Giving every symbol everything is what got us in the position we were in last block

Da_ghetto_gamer said:

Of course fire the the aggresive symbol thats the way it should have been since day one!

not every symbol can have everything because if that was the case what would be the point in having symbols at all? I feel like every symbol has its place and should do just that the best.

Fire-Damage Pump/Speed Pump
Death-Negation/Blanking
Earth-Damage Redux/Tank
Good-Reversal Based
Chaos-Momentum Gen

Etc....Etc....

Depending on what you want your going to have to play those symbols....do you want Death to have Damage Reduction, Negation, and the ability to be agressive at the same time?

Giving every symbol everything is what got us in the position we were in last block

I'd like to mention that Reversal-based Good has never worked and due to the mechanics inherent to the game, will never work. Another niche would be necessary.