Lannister Preview

By Grimwalker, in General Discussion

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/8/lords-of-casterly-rock/

• Direwolves notwithstanding, the Lannisters are the Ambush masters in 2E.
  • "Gold Matters." Both for Tywin, and for Ambushing. Tyrion makes Tywin's board strength stronger...
    • Tywin gives +2 gold in Marshalling, Tyrion gives +2 Gold in challenges. "I'm you writ small" indeed.
  • Still heavy intrigue.
Edited by Grimwalker

I love the direction they decided to go with Lannister quite a lot. I'm really excited as that is my go-to house!

The previews, the possibilities . . . . the waiting . . . . :lol:

I'm surprised to see that the Lannisters are goign to be the masters of Ambush. Thematically, I would have thought the Greyjoys, with their coastal raids, would have got that nod.

Well, if it helps, Keywords are not house-exclusive anymore, not that we've seen. (only fitting since Nate wanted to do away with "Keyword bloat".)

and since Ambush costs gold, you might as well give it to the house that is the richest, and has a reputation for being sneaky. If Greyjoy needs to make surprise raids, they'll probably have to make do with Stealth.

I like that it costs gold this time around. May influence rest in peace.

The Lannisters look to be an interesting faction in 2E. I imagine they will also have ways of bribing non-Loyal opposing characters into not defending a challenge, or perhaps even turning against their controller.

Looking awesome, though still an unnerving lack of Magali artwork :( are they saving all this for chapter pack covers? Makes sense >.<

Looking awesome, though still an unnerving lack of Magali artwork :( are they saving all this for chapter pack covers? Makes sense >.<

Have we seen Magali's work in this game yet? Aside from preexisting art, I mean.

I hope ambush is the replacement for the shadows mechanic. Don't want too many rules, especially ones that aren't explained. Trying to get my casual friends to play. Six player game would be EPIC!

Being able to observe hidden elements as part of the board state does evoke a strong flavor, though. I like it myself, but I'd be willing to lose it. I'd prefer 2E to only use Shadows if it turned out to be a popular mechanic based on market research.

I know it's still early and we haven't seen the majority of the cards from 2E yet, but what's people's opinion after reading the Starks and now Lannisters' cards? Do they give you some idea how good each House will turn out to be when the Core set is released?

I know it's still early and we haven't seen the majority of the cards from 2E yet, but what's people's opinion after reading the Starks and now Lannisters' cards? Do they give you some idea how good each House will turn out to be when the Core set is released?

I would assume each faction's power level will be as close to equal as they can make it, since the eight factions are intended to be playable right out of the box, in 2-4 player matches using the contents of a single core set. Note however, that each faction is going to have its own strengths and weaknesses, with inertia pushing you toward running a support faction, to either shore up your main faction's weaknesses or build upon its strengths. We already know, for example, that House Stark will have standing, and the cards of the Night's Watch previewed so far have an emphasis on defensive play. These two strengths go hand-in-hand. I anticipate Stark with Night's Watch support (or vice versa) will be a popular combination early on.

House Stark is my favorite faction, but Night's Watch isn't too far behind so I'm definitely looking forward to create a Stark deck with Night's Watch as support. And it just makes a lot of sense in terms of thematic as well.

Edited by Star Lord
House Stark is my favorite faction, but Night's Watch isn't too far behind so I'm definitely looking forward to create a Stark deck with Night's Watch as support. And it just makes a lot of sense in terms of thematic as well.

“My door is always open to the Night’s Watch." - Eddard Stark

Tyrion goes off when anyone initiates an intrigue challenge?!

Tyrion goes off when anyone initiates an intrigue challenge?!

At first I thought it was meant to capture his role as the Master of Coin, but he lacks the Small Council trait. This is just Tyrion saving his arse by promising gold.

No Shae, no kneeling :(

Have we seen Magali's work in this game yet? Aside from preexisting art, I mean.

She's not working on 2nd Edition.

She's not working on 2nd Edition.

Suddenly 2nd edition saved me a whole lot of money if that bombshell is completely legit. Like with LOTR, the evocative and believable characterisation on the art is the most valuable core of these games. In comparison to where 1st edition had reached and where LOTR is at, this seems horrifically weak so far. (Besides Summer, that is a gorgeous card. So maybe there's hope)

I love her illustrations too, but there are other very good artists (and some of them are working on 2nd Edition).

I just hope there is more art consistency this time around. But I noticed the wall behind the Iron Throne is completely different between Varys, and that reused Magali artwork on Fealty...to say nothing of the Iron Throne itself, which is hard to tell yet but had an amorphous quality to it in 1E where each version of the card made it look completely different.

Does FFG have a style guide they send to their artists?

I actually hope they don't, MarthWMaster. I feel like seeing different artist's interpretations of characters/locations helps the cardgame in the long term, and ties it more to the experience of reading the books. The appearance of Thrones has already been heavily influenced by the T.V. show, I'd prefer more diversity over consistency in representation. While I wouldn't mind "mini-cycles"; where perhaps all the cards from one faction in a given cycle are drawn by the same artist, I wouldn't like the overall appearance to be uniform.

The appearance of Thrones has already been heavily influenced by the T.V. show.

I actually hope they don't, MarthWMaster. I feel like seeing different artist's interpretations of characters/locations helps the cardgame in the long term, and ties it more to the experience of reading the books. The appearance of Thrones has already been heavily influenced by the T.V. show, I'd prefer more diversity over consistency in representation. While I wouldn't mind "mini-cycles"; where perhaps all the cards from one faction in a given cycle are drawn by the same artist, I wouldn't like the overall appearance to be uniform.

I recall hearing that they need to steer clear of the TV show's depiction of the characters, and that some artist's interpretations have had to be declined as being too identifiable with the HBO versions.

I recall hearing that they need to steer clear of the TV show's depiction of the characters, and that some artist's interpretations have had to be declined as being too identifiable with the HBO versions.

Edited by MarthWMaster