Righteous Fury with grenades, or other weapons with multiple damage dice

By Darth Smeg, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Can each individual die explode? Do both (all) dice have to come up 0's? (this would seriously lower their chances of unleashing Righteous Fury)

For example, the simple Frag Grenade does 2d10 damage. What if both dice shows 0's? Do you test for RF once? Twice? Are both dice re-rolled if either of the tests pass? Or do you roll one extra die no matter how many 0's you got on your original roll?

The way we have been doing this in my game, is that any damage die that comes up with a 0 gets rerolled for righteous fury. So if a Frag Grenade is thrown and the roll is a 0 and a 5, the 0 gets rerolled and then the result of all 3 dice is added together. Things get out of hand quickly damage wise if 0's continue to be rolled.

BlacKat

blackat said:

The way we have been doing this in my game, is that any damage die that comes up with a 0 gets rerolled for righteous fury. So if a Frag Grenade is thrown and the roll is a 0 and a 5, the 0 gets rerolled and then the result of all 3 dice is added together. Things get out of hand quickly damage wise if 0's continue to be rolled.

BlacKat

probably common sense way to do things except if the weapon has tearing quality( the one where you take best roll out of 2 dice rolled), I would reroll both dice in those instances.

RF is meant to represent critical hits/golden BB's/1 in a million shots that make combat so jaw-dropping fatal, a couple of weeks ago a player of mine was attacked by a demonette, 1st round: RF and 25 points of damage, stone dead as he was at a party and had no weapons or armour.... I'm evil to my players demonio.gif

I re-read the section in the rulebook, and my question is actually answered there:

"if any of the dice read 0"...."roll another D10 and add the result" ...

So thats one additional test, and one additional die. Regardless of numbers of 0|s rolled. It also specifies that this holds for weapons using d5's, so there :)

Thanks for your suggestions anyway

Dynodragon said:

probably common sense way to do things except if the weapon has tearing quality( the one where you take best roll out of 2 dice rolled), I would reroll both dice in those instances.

Darth Smeg said:

I re-read the section in the rulebook, and my question is actually answered there:

"if any of the dice read 0"...."roll another D10 and add the result" ...

So thats one additional test, and one additional die. Regardless of numbers of 0|s rolled. It also specifies that this holds for weapons using d5's, so there :)

Thanks for your suggestions anyway

All well and good except that's not what it says. "When you roll a 10 on any die" instead of "if any of the dice read 0".

blackat: Get out of hand? The difference this makes, damage wise, is on average 0.060111...105. That's one point of extra damage every twenty rolls for a weapon that does 2d10 damage.

Before we figured out we were doing it wrong, every "10" roll got rerolled. In Once instance we had a frag grenade do something like 63 damage, becasue the players kept rolling "10's". I know some GMs are still doing this, which is why I stated it could get out of hand.

BlacKat

core rule said (can't remember the page, don't have the book here) one reroll it's pure chance, second reroll it's the Emperor itself who guide you, no reroll after that. but for any or every dice .. you make me doubt, I will check core rule this evening :D

What? The core rules say no such thing. The core rules say that if you roll a ten on a die the emperors eye might be upon you, test BS to confirm, if you succeed he is indeed with you, start re rolling every ten until you get something other than a ten. It's the core rules.

RF adds on average 0.6011... to each die used, it's not a lot. If you prevent it from doing a lot of damage when someone gets lucky, whats the point of having it at all?

I don't copy past core rule and if you don't like my interpretation ... never mind :D

so the core book say any dice, that mean only one 10 is enought.

I dont really dislike the interpretation, just the way it was presented as RAW.

Related question - do you get the tearing ability of two damage dice taking the highere when rolling righteous fury?

As far as I am aware, when you roll righteous fury on a tearing weapon you only roll one dice extra. The righteous fury of the emperor does not have tearing even if the chainblade does.

Thats how we play at least, not sure if that RAW

The same question was answered in the official QnA section of the WFRP forums at BI, and the respons was that, yes indeed, Impact weapons (which are WFRPs equivalent of Tearing) roll 2 dice for Ulrics Fury, pick the highest.

That does not make it automatically true for DH, but the rules are veeeery similar across the board, no?

cowthulhu said:

core rule said (can't remember the page, don't have the book here) one reroll it's pure chance, second reroll it's the Emperor itself who guide you, no reroll after that. but for any or every dice .. you make me doubt, I will check core rule this evening :D

It is on page 195 of Dark Heresy:

Normally, when you hit with an attack, the resulting Damage includes rolling one or more d10s. When you roll a 10 on any die (this includes a result of 10 when using a d5 - even though the number is halved), it may indicate that the eye of the Emperor is upon you. This calls for a second attack roll, Testing Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill as if you were making another attack. If this second Test is successful, the spirit of the Emperor is within you, aiding your attack and guiding your aim. You can roll an additional 1d10 and add the result to the Damage total.

Should the result of this die also be a 10, the Emperor has indeed smiled upon you. You may immediately roll a third 1db and add that to the Damage total as well. This process continues until you roll a number other than 10.

So you don't need to re-roll WS or BS after the second 10. There is even an example of it on that page where they do not make another roll after the second 10.

And I read that ruling on tearing somewhere too. It's not in the errata so it must be from either the old forums or the WFRP ones.

So you folks say that grenades can trigger RF. In that case, how do you handle boobytraps?

There is not BS or WS skill involved, just an opposed awareness/demolitions check.

Hm? Just test demolition instead then.