Simple Rank 9+ Options

By MorbidDon, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Recently I read the rules set for (forgot the terminology) Ascendency or Legendary "tier" play - though very nice rules and options I prefer a more basic approach that's universal to no particular Career. What you will find below are a subset of rules that I run for High-Rank play. Nothing herein as a GM for me is game breaking nor will it enable PCs to take over the Galaxy (lol) - as in all my ideas/submissions - this may not be for you, if not that's fine - enjoy the game as you like, otherwise for those who like or are looking for other options maybe this is your cup o tea!

Stay GAMING

Morbid

Of the Ninth Degree

Each TALENT Below costs 900 XP

Options DURING/AFTER 9 th Level

Bent (Offense)

Endowment (Defense)

Flair (Utility)

Bent: (Melee or Range or Interface - Choose ONE) 50 XP per Use

Melee = Sweep : gain the ability to "sweep" enemies, effectively attacking each nearby low-level creature in the same turn

If you slay an adjacent target in one single blow – the remaining damage (if any) is then applied to the next adjacent target (applied the same way) – damage is carried over to each surviving adjacent target until there are no more points of damage left to apply…

Range = Pierce : gain the ability to "punch through" in-line enemies, effectively attacking any low-level target behind a primary target in the same turn

If you slay a ranged target in a single shot - the remaining damage (if any) is then applied to the next target behind it (applied the same way) – damage is carried over to each surviving in-line target until there are no more points of damage left to apply…

Interface = this applies to mechs, ships, and vehicles only; you may apply 1-Point (per two success of WS or BS) of damage when an attack results in no damage to the target after Soaking…

Endowment: (Toughness or Willpower or Fellowship - Choose ONE) 50 XP per Use

Toughness = grants Immunity to: Disease, Poisons, Radiation, Toxins, and Vacuum
Willpower
= grants Immunity to: Magic, Psychic, Intimidation, Sanity, and Torture

Fellowship = grants Immunity to: Barter, Conversation, Charm, Diplomacy, Etiquette, Impress, Psychology, Seduction

FEL social defense
based on charisma – this is the metric by which to manipulate a person (i.e. winning an argument or negotiation or swaying the opinion of others); as such this particular Endowment can’t be used in Combat…

The Endowment is used in lieu of performing the actual Test Roll against said effect or situation…

Flair: (Choose ONE) 50 XP per Use

Adapt - This grants an ally a bonus to damage rolls against a target you just hit who granted Combat Advantage equal to your INT or PER Bonus; otherwise as a Half Action you may perform an Awareness or Logic Test requiring two degrees of success – which grants yourself the INT / PER based damage bonus on your next subsequent attack (hit/miss the bonus is gone after the attack is performed)

Bless - This grants either an ally or yourself with a +20% bonus to Luck Test

Feint - You don't grant Combat Advantage for an Attack

Guile - You and one ally you can see switch places in the initiative order. Your turn ends when you use this Talent, and the ally takes his or her next turn immediately, even if he or she has already acted during this round. You then act when your ally would have acted

Know - You are able to perform a Lore Skill Test not normally available to you; note you may only benefit from a maximum of two successes despite the results of your Roll. Any failed outcome results in an additional stage of failure otherwise…

Lurk - You are able to climb, bound, slip, and otherwise advance through difficult terrain while using it to shield yourself from view equal 4 Box/Square movement – requires a successful Stealth or Move Silent Test depending on the situation, failure grants foes Combat Advantage till the beginning of your next turn.

Spur - You are able to draw the ire and attention from present foes onto you for a single round (targets must be able to perceive you either visually or audibly)…

Turn - You are able to drive opponents into a rage causing them to fighting erratically; allowing you to switch places on the Battlefield with the adjacent target OR targets – each subsequent adjacent target can also be switched in position (i.e. hop scotched - like checkers); the transit ends when either you decide to terminate the movement or do not have any other adjacent foes… (maximum movement is 4 boxes/squares)

Voice - Either through smooth words or assured confidence you are able to achieve an Automatic Success before the applicable Social Test is performed; note failure may reduce your successes to nothing or worst depending on the stage of failure…

Wary - After a successful Awareness Test - each ally is not surprised – up to your FEL Bonus; if you receive two successes or more, then the ambushing foes are tricked and you win first action!

Investments: (Ideas)

This facet of play represents a new opportunity; being that we are all veteran Gamers – the exploit herein could be; save PF until you reach 9 th then go for broke and gain all the bells and whistles you’ve forgone by the expenditure of XP!

The gist being – “legendary" characters can get things done by reputation alone. Also this presents another route to forming your own personal Fleet – which is possible by the vanilla rules but isn’t easy otherwise…

Lots to consider and think about here!

• Buy an Army with XP alone?!
  • Gain a Powerful Ally in the form of a Faction?!
  • Become an Idol?! (I am your god now = j/k)
  • Requisition Ships (i.e. via your Influence, Prestige, Legend, Etc.) with XP alone?!
  • Political Headquarters (i.e. a Castle, Holding, Space Station, i.e. a seat of power somewhere people go to interact with your officials and your policy)
Edited by MorbidDon

I might have to give these a run...when my players get that high in Rank, which will take a couple years.