Moving your only piece on the board Moving your 'last figure' as though he was the 'first figure' Coun

By deatinc, in Chaos in the Old World

There is some debate on BoardGameGeek as to whether or not summoning your last/only piece on the board means that you can drop that piece anywhere on the board like it was your first piece.

They use the wording 'may summon' into an adjacent territory, meaning they don't have to consider the abandoned territory as populated.

The counter argument is saying that the word 'may' implies that you have to at the very least consider it populated with regards to adjacency, but you do not HAVE to place next to the abandoned location, but can place to other, legally adjacency locations (ie: other places where you already have figures). Thus in the case of a last piece taken off, you must continue to follow adjacency rules.

Could someone from FFG comment on this in order to put the debate to rest?

Thanks

They don't comment on the forums - you can submit a rules question for them to email you

Thanks! I think someone on the BGG site has already emailed.

I was just trying to take a different direction.

phobiandarkmoon said:

They don't comment on the forums - you can submit a rules question for them to email you

Out of curiosity, where is this submit? I haven't seen it after perusing the website?

Thanks

Oh, and personally I think that the figure must be placed in a region adjacent to the one it was just removed from in that situation

The phrasing of the rule is that they may use it as the just emptied region as a base for movement. So you can always choose to use other areas you control as a valid location to place from.....so if you happen to have 1 in Border Princes and 1 in Norsca, you can pick up the Norsca and either place next to Norsca or next to Border Princes. The rule is a permissive benefit to the normal rules, introduced to allow (so far as I can see) players to physically walk a single piece of to the other end of the board for multiple 'spawn points' if you chose. It is in a context of the other normal rules for summoning still applying.

So, the only time we did stop and think about exactly what was said is when that one piece being summoned and emptying a region was when it was the only figure the player controlled on the board. We allowed it that the player taking their last piece up for summoning can go anywhere because a) the special rule for emptying a region only say 'may use the location emptied' as the start point not that the location is counted as occupied, b) the other rules for no pieces on the board say 'go anywhere' so the rules allow it and c) if a player has only one piece down it seems harsh to deny them the slight benefits for using the effective teleport. So far no-one has actually done anything other than use the just emptied region though - it seems people have usually ended up with their dribs and drabs of units left in or near areas they want to be in our games.

Its the kind of question I'd expect to see go into a FAQ at some point though - and if it was ruled the other way I cannot see it making a major difference.

The point of the "first figure" rule is meant as an exception to the rules when you start the round with no figures. If you have no region under control, you may start anywhere on the board and establish that as your base of operations. This scenario will only occur at the start of the game, when your followers were all defeated in combat in the previous round, or if specific cards removed your forces the previous round. Removing figures from the board is not a voluntary action.

When you have only a single figure on the board, you must follow the rules for when you have figures on the board: which is you can only place figures in regions you currently occupy or adjacent to regions you currently occupy. The last clause is meant for you to overextend yourself if you are at the end of your chain or if you managed to place all your figures on the board and still have Power Points left. In that case, that figure "walks" to an adjacent region while vacating the one he was just in.

Is the wording poor? Yes. Is the intent clear? Yes. This is an area control game that you are meant to fight to gain control of regions. You can't just pick up your "first figure" when you want because he is the first figure and place him where you want. Even if he is the last man standing on the field.

Gah! Colt has hijacked this thread too!! :P

deatinc said:

We are everywhere.

Gah! Colt has multiplied or obtained royalty status!

ColtsFan76 said:

deatinc said:

We are everywhere.

Haha, but at least your replies make sense so don't worry.