Tips And Techniques For A TO

By Tekwych, in Living Card Games

As there are 5 separate LCGs that offer tournament level organized play from FFG and many of the casual and competitive events are run by ordinary players like ourselves. A lot goes into these events and, for someone who is new to organizing or playing in them, the whole thing can be overwhelming if not thought out and executed well.

What goes into planing and running an event?

What goes into playing, and playing well, at an event?

This thread, I hope, will be a repository of advice, tips, tools, and resources for those that want to host some kind of an LCG event, weather thats just the local meta, a seasonal kit from FFG, a store tournament and more.

Games supported by FFG at tournament level and above in 2015:

Android: Netrunner

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game

Star Wars™: The Card Game

Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Also look at New TO Seeking Advice / Help . The thread is for X-Wing Miniatures but has some great advice that can be applied to LCG events as well.

The following posts will be dedicated to each game individually and I will try to keep them up to date with any game specific information as it is posted.

Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Lets start with the official tournament resources from FFG:

Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Tournament Rules

Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Blank Deck Lists

Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Score Sheets

Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Demo Rules

Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Demo Guide

Though not supported this year I’ll include:

Warhammer: Invasion

Lets start with the official tournament resources from FFG:

Warhammer Invasion Tournament Score Sheet

Warhammer Invasion Tournament Rules

To organize an official FFG event you will need to partner with a FLGS that caries FFG product. They will be able to order store tournament kits, seasonal kits or other supplies to help the event. If the FLGS can add additional prize support, even in store credit, it will help the event and the FLGS.

Make sure you have enough space and limit the sign-up to make sure you can properly take care of your players.

If at all possible ask players to submit their decks ahead of time so that you can confirm their legality. Software will help speed this up and keep all players and TOs on the same page.

My personal preference is that the TO never plays in their own tournaments. If they do, there should be at least two assistant judges so that one huge is always available even if the other two are competing against each other.

Know how Swiss elimination and other tournament bracketing systems work. Again software will assist this process quite a bit but if you use it have a paper backup at all times. It will make the day run much better.

Plan your time and expect issues. If you plan for a problem it just become a speed bump, not a detour.