At the start of a player's turn

By Draxcorp, in Talisman Rules Questions

According to the original game rules a turn consists of two things, movement and encounter. I inferred that instructions on cards or game mechanics such as dragon scales that occurred at the start of a player's turn were always resolved before movement. There are a great number of cards, especially spells, that include text stating additionally something to the effect of "at the start of a your turn, before you move". This additional specific before you move text has led some to argue that there are different timing for cards that lack this specific wording.

What I assumed was all the at the start of a player's turn effects or instructions be resolved and then a player can proceed with movement. Now players are suggesting that if a card doesn't specifically state before you move that the card can be played after you move or after a player has already chosen to use special abilities or spells.

When is at the start of your or a player's turn? More specifically when is at the start of turn over and finished?

Could a player use an ability or spell that states "at the start of your or a player's turn" after movement has been taken when the card does not specify "before you move"?

Can a player choose the order of how at the start of turn effects are applied? If three abilities are all to be applied at the start of a turn may I choose on my turn to resolve them in the order I want or can an opponent thwart my efforts by letting me resolve two and then use his spell to ruin my intended plans? Such as both of us playing abilities that state instead of rolling a die for movement.

There are a plethora of effects like drawing at the start of turn spell cards that may actually have the instruction cast at the start of a player's turn. What's the timing here?

Could a lightning bolt spell stop a player from resolving other at the start of turn effects like dragon scales drawing spell cards with a wand etc.?

And to be clear I am not talking about the etiquette of backing up actions as a courtesy when someone announces that they would like to play a start of turn ability.

This is a very valid point about timing. There are multiple cards that refer to timing specifically at the start of your turn. Such as; "at the start of your turn, but before you move." " at the start of your turn, until the end of your turn." " at the start of your turn". All three of these scenarios to me imply different situations. In the original game I would say that at the start of your turn means before movement. However, multiple cards specifying before movement or until after the end of your turn in conjunction with at the start of your turn which makes me think different. I interpret at the start of your turn to be before encountering the space such as drawing an adventure card unless the card says at the start of your turn but before movement which is very specific. Thanks for the great ? Definetly need clarification.

"At the start of a players turn" refers to any time before movement. I believe the priority works like this.

1. Apply mandatory effects that cause loss of turn (e.g. Warlock's Quest, having lost to Medusa).

2. If the turn continues, use optional effects that cause loss of turn (e.g. Immobility Spell). When multiple players want to use such effects, the first to declare gets priority.

3. If the turn continues, apply mandatory effects that occur "at start of turn" (e.g. the Sage drawing a Spell, drawing a dragon scale).

4. Then, apply optional effects that occur at start of turn, other than those which cause a missed turn (e.g. the Strength Spell, Shatter Spell, etc). Again you can solve competition based on reaction time.

I agree that some "start of turn"-things seems to have higher priority than other things and I like your suggested order in general but I'm not so sure that it's really correct.. I find no rule that supports why you should be safe from Immobility just because you cast the Strength- spell etc.

I kinda agree with "1. Apply mandatory effects that cause loss of turn..." but I think it's confusing to mention this as a start of turn effect (when it's not, imo). If something will make you lose your next turn that turn will never start/exist at all.

Dragon tokens seem to have higher priority since it is worded must (but if someone is quick with Sleep I'd say your turn just ends without ever drawing a token).

Dragon exp p.6

At the start of each player’s turn, he must draw one dragon

token at random...

The spell drawing of the Sage however is a may effect so therefore I'd say this falls under the same two things as everything else at this point, yell first and the simultaneous effects rule:

Talisman FAQ p.3
If two or more abilities or effects are triggered at the same time, the player who is currently taking his turn decides the order to resolve them in.

Ex: A Sage who has the Lucky -pet and the Spellbook could choose to first gain a fate ( Lucky ), gain a spell with his special ability, gain a second spell ( Spellbook ), cast the Strength -spell and then Immobilize on him self (assuming he got those spells). At any time another player could cast Sleep on the player taking this turn. This is not negotiable (simultaneous), this is "yell first" priority.

Edited by Nioreh

I interpret at the start of your turn to be before encountering the space such as drawing an adventure card unless the card says at the start of your turn but before movement which is very specific.

This all sure is somewhat confuzzling but "At the start of your turn" is definitely before rolling the die for moving (regardless of if it's specified on the card or not). It's supposed to be the very first thing that happens (but it gets confusing when there are multiple "very first things").

Missing Turns

If a character misses his turn, he does not draw a dragon token on the turn that he loses.

From the Dragon Rulebook!

Edited by talismanamsilat

Missing Turns

If a character misses his turn, he does not draw a dragon token on the turn that he loses.

From the Dragon Rulebook!

Good catch Talismanamsilat.

Quite peculiar/unspecific rule when read though...

Missing Turns - Dragon exp p.16

If a character misses his turn, he does not draw a dragon

token on the turn that he loses.

So.. The first thing a player does when the dragon exp is in play is to draw a dragon token from the pool (at least around here). Does that mean that after that point he's safe from missing the rest of his turn? I'd say no, the statement/rule is kinda flawed, a character can miss his turn at any time during his turn. This can not be used as an argument to go back in time and change something at the beginning of the very same turn.

What I decrypt from that rule is:

If the player already has a lingering effect over him to miss his next turn* he should not draw a token on the turn he will miss. I do not think this is applicable when the someone has already drawn a token and, at a later point in time, is about to miss the rest of their turn ( Sleep -spell etc).

*ex: You get blind drunk and collapse in a corner. Miss 1 turn .

(Again, after drawing a Dragon token the player is free to do other 'start of turn'-things, drawing spells etc so the 'start of turn'-period is still active.)

I think the flaw arises from the mixed use of losing a turn** . It can both mean losing your next turn (a turn that has not been initiated, what I'd say the rule refers to) but also losing the rest of your turn (your already initiated turn, what is kinda/misleadingly included in the dragon exp rule as it is currently written).

**Core rules p.16 - Losing a turn

Edited by Nioreh

And.. to get back to the actual questions you asked in a more straight-forward way.
(as I understand things)

When is at the start of your or a player's turn? More specifically when is at the start of turn over and finished?

When the last player says he's done. When you roll for movement.

Could a player use an ability or spell that states "at the start of your or a player's turn" after movement has been taken when the card does not specify "before you move"?

No.
I'd say it's just inconsistent wording. It's far from the only inconstancy* and understandably one of the ones that can lead to questions.

* https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/130591-strangers-in-the-woodlands-where-do-they-go/?p=1389859

Can a player choose the order of how at the start of turn effects are applied? If three abilities are all to be applied at the start of a turn may I choose on my turn to resolve them in the order I want or can an opponent thwart my efforts by letting me resolve two and then use his spell to ruin my intended plans? Such as both of us playing abilities that state instead of rolling a die for movement.

Yes, you chose the order, as per the Simultaneous effects rule I mentioned. Your opponent can thwart your efforts in between any effect you play ("yell first"-interpretation). Both of you can't play effects simultaneously, one was first. Or.. if you actually played the effects exactly simultaneously, resolve the situation with the Simultaneous effects rule.

Talisman FAQ p.3
If two or more abilities or effects are triggered at the same time , the player who is currently taking his turn decides the order to resolve them in.

There are a plethora of effects like drawing at the start of turn spell cards that may actually have the instruction cast at the start of a player's turn. What's the timing here?

Same as the above, Talisman FAQ p.3 or "yell first".

Could a lightning bolt spell stop a player from resolving other at the start of turn effects like dragon scales drawing spell cards with a wand etc.?

I'm not sure..

The dragon token drawing seems to be different as it's worded must . One could argue that this makes this effect to automatically "yell first" (so nothing can happen before), or one could argue that another player can "yell before" the player has started resolving the drawing of a dragon (and could cast Lightning Bolt before).
Either way I'd say it's definitely fine to cast the spell after.
(See last post)

And to be clear I am not talking about the etiquette of backing up actions as a courtesy when someone announces that they would like to play a start of turn ability.

There's no rule on this.

I think the "Yell first"-interpretation is the best thing to go by so far.
(If someone remembers what lengthy thread it came out of, do post a link.)

<:)))><

Edited by stranigie
wrong again