2015 Nationals Results

By MajorJuggler, in X-Wing

First post here. Just confirming I came in 2nd place flying the following:

Chewbacca: Luke, Predator, C3p0, MF

Corran: PTL, R2D2, FCS

Couldnt find the Uk Nationals on list juggler (I may just be derping) so hopefully here will do.

Will be posting up a battle report soon too and since Jesper and I are both from 186th Squadron, we thought we would do a combined write up for the finals match:)

Here's what I took to UK Nationals today. TO was David Sleet.

IG-88B (48pts)

- Push the Limit

- Advanced Sensors

- Autothrusters

- Mangler Cannon

- IG-2000

IG-88C (51pts)

- Push the Limit

- Advanced Sensors

- Autothrusters

- Heavy Laser Cannon

- IG-2000

Why the HLC on C and the Mangler on B? Surely you want the better gun on the ship that has the "gunner" ability? That way if C dies, you are getting a second attack with the HLC not the Mangler.

I know one of the lists was 58 Dash + Corran but I forget if it came top 16 or top 8

IG-88B (48pts)

- Push the Limit

- Advanced Sensors

- Autothrusters

- Mangler Cannon

- IG-2000

IG-88C (51pts)

- Push the Limit

- Advanced Sensors

- Autothrusters

- Heavy Laser Cannon

- IG-2000

Why the HLC on C and the Mangler on B? Surely you want the better gun on the ship that has the "gunner" ability? That way if C dies, you are getting a second attack with the HLC not the Mangler.

IG-88B (48pts)

- Push the Limit

- Advanced Sensors

- Autothrusters

- Mangler Cannon

- IG-2000

IG-88C (51pts)

- Push the Limit

- Advanced Sensors

- Autothrusters

- Heavy Laser Cannon

- IG-2000

Probably to mess with their target priority. You really want to kill the HLC first and you really want to kill B first.

This is exactly the reason. Putting the HLC on IG-88B makes the list suffer from a case of "too many eggs in one basket". Switching the secondary weapons creates a harder choice for the opponent, makes both ships viable threats in case one gets shot down, and makes it easier to disengage with one while keeping pressure up with the other to force split fire.

IG-88B (48pts)

- Push the Limit

- Advanced Sensors

- Autothrusters

- Mangler Cannon

- IG-2000

IG-88C (51pts)

- Push the Limit

- Advanced Sensors

- Autothrusters

- Heavy Laser Cannon

- IG-2000

Probably to mess with their target priority. You really want to kill the HLC first and you really want to kill B first.

This is exactly the reason. Putting the HLC on IG-88B makes the list suffer from a case of "too many eggs in one basket". Switching the secondary weapons creates a harder choice for the opponent, makes both ships viable threats in case one gets shot down, and makes it easier to disengage with one while keeping pressure up with the other to force split fire.

This is the biggest reason, but here's a secondary one: if you lose the ship with HLC, your opponent cannot exploit a weakness by engaging Bravo at range 1.

Swiss rounds at GenCon for U.S. Nationals is Thursday, so preemptive bump!

Sadly I cannot attend and use my bye. I should be able to make it to Worlds though.

192 players at GenCon, 8 no-shows. There will be 7 rounds of Swiss today. Not sure how many first round byes are being used...

If it's 12 byes, then after 7 rounds the standings will look something like:

0-7: 2

1-6: 10

2-5: 30

3-4: 52

4-3: 53

5-2: 32

6-1: 11

7-0: 2

Cut for tomorrow is to Top 16, so 6-1 gets you in. About three of the 32 5-2's will get in, they will need 5 full wins and really good MoV.

Updates from the NOVA FB group: 12 byes were used (lucky guess!). FFG software is obviously being used, and the super bye is now only worth 150 MoV. Pairings are random within the same tournament points, so MoV only matters for determining final placement.

Lunch break now before round 2.

Downtime is currently defeating all players as ffg experiences "technical difficulties." We're four hours in and round 2 has not begun

Edited by catachanninja

According to a FB post of a picture on-site, round 2 to start at 1:15 (CST). Good luck everyone that's there.

3/32 is kind of the worst-case scenario for favoring point fortresses. So who all is top half right now? :D

Ron won his first match 100-0, and has 200 MoV. Richard Hsu and the other 11 players that used their super byes found out after round 1 postings went up that they only have 150 MoV. Oops.

So Ron is tied for first in Swiss then.

That sucks about the 150. With that 3/32 looming over my head I wouldn't want to be in that spot.

That sucks about the 150. With that 3/32 looming over my head I wouldn't want to be in that spot.

I assume most of them would have skipped the bye had they known that.

The other strategy is to just know that you need to go 6-1, so a bye gets you to only needing to go 5-1. MoV doesn't matter if you go 6-1. If you don't take the bye you can get unlucky and draw someone like Ron as your first round and then risk losing and having even worse MoV.

The superbye should still be worth 200 in my strong opinion though. Don't punish players for winning a Regional!

Edited by MajorJuggler

0-3 drop! I've been having a terrible run lately. I've got to stop spending all this time playing FFG's other games. :)

If everything runs perfectly from here on out, they'll finish the swiss rounds 11:30-midnight.

The other strategy is to just know that you need to go 6-1, so a bye gets you to only needing to go 5-1. MoV doesn't matter if you go 6-1. If you don't take the bye you can get unlucky and draw someone like Ron as your first round and then risk losing and having even worse MoV.

The superbye should still be worth 200 in my strong opinion though. Don't punish players for winning a Regional!

I see your point here. I was stuck in the big regional mode where not all one loss records make the cut.

0-3 drop! I've been having a terrible run lately. I've got to stop spending all this time playing FFG's other games. :)

If everything runs perfectly from here on out, they'll finish the swiss rounds 11:30-midnight.

Enjoy the rest of GenCon and good luck with the other games -- who knows maybe you won't triple-repeat as World Champion with X-wing this year, but you'll win FFG's other games instead!

That alt art card is super lame.

I agree, but I'm just hoping it's foreshadowing for tomorrow's release to be an X-wing upgrade.

I don't know how everyone is doing, but Ron is 5-1 going into round 7.

I'm 4-2 and my brain is a cup of tapioca pudding. So I don't expect good results in round 7...

Paul is going to ask Alex about getting the squad lists and grabbing a pic of the final Swiss standings, so hopefully we get all the info from them.

Do work Bob, do it for us all.

Do work Bob, do it for us all.

I have to work remotely and have my Bothan spies do it for me. :D Or in this case diplomats, since Paul is rather well known in X-wing circles. :P